Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

You’re welcome.

And now . . .

For phase 2 of my thoughts today:

How does elder care - independent living, assisted living, nursing care and memory care - change going forward.

What looked interesting to me last year is not working right now.

There’s a big outfit my sister’s been looking at for 5 years from now or so which has all of the above.

But who wants to live even in the independent living areas with the specter of the last few months? If you have your own car, can you leave on an errand. Can you return? Is the communal dining room open?

And also, what are we comfortable with for granma now?

Are we going to see more day care options?

4 Likes

That’s a great question!

These big, multi-level-of-care outfits are hugely popular here, where many people leave their small town or ranch and buy in when they’re still quite healthy and mobile. They then have instant community, and may even already have friends there. And their needs are met forever. If you take away the community and the mobility, where’s the benefit? But how else are the more frail elderly protected, unless there is a separate building and staff?

I’m sure lots of active seniors are re-thinking this option.

1 Like

My grandmother is in a nursing home and my 90 year old grandfather is in an independent cottage on the grounds near the nursing home. He is limited with how many visitors he can have at home, but he can leave and visit others. He has his own car (and only drives during the day). We have seen him at family get togethers since the pandemic started. We are mindful of keeping track of symptoms and such, especially when he is around. He is able to return to his cottage. They have not had activities or anything in a communal dining room. But a lot of people take walks and he talks to those he passes. They did have a lockdown across the whole community in the spring and my mom would drop off groceries on his door step. But that was during stay at home orders, so not many people were going out anyway.

My grandmother is still in lockdown after 6 months. We have done FaceTime with her, but you have to schedule calls and the hours are when I have to work. My mom writes to her (actual real letters). She spends the entire day in her room, including meals. My grandfather FaceTimes with her at least twice per week.

3 Likes

Great thread on what we now know about transmission, from Muge Cevik:

Over the last 6 months, we've learned a lot about how SARS-CoV-2 spreads🦠

What does the evidence so far tell us about SARS-CoV-2 transmission dynamics, high-risk activities and environments? Thread 🧵 (1/n)https://t.co/zBRmgztnKf

— Muge Cevik (@mugecevik) September 21, 2020

Well, if you’re going to make a policy, you have to pick a number. Is a 22 year old really that much more responsible about drinking than a 20 year old? How much better is an 18 year old at making sexual decisions than a 16 year old? Policy makers have to make a judgment about what number is going to offer adequate protection while minimizing impacts to reasonable and responsible people.

Folks who keep up with the science and have a working understanding of relative risks are not the norm. Plus, it’s harder to be on constant alert and optimally judge the safest criteria in a particular situation given the currently available data. Ok, we are outside and masked and just talking, so it’s not a huge deal to be a bit closer than 6 feet; oops, now we are inside for an hour and masked, better make it 6 feet. Oh, now we are going to have a drink/snack, so we might want to shift closer to 10 feet apart. It’s less optimal but easier to just get in the habit of keeping a certain distance. Also, a simple policy probably has a higher compliance rate than a policy that tries to give situational directions (if situation X, then Y feet apart).

3 Likes

Yes. Well said.

3 Likes

You know, there’s a lot to be said for a letter. You can read it and reread it when you’re lonely. That may be helping her get through her days.

3 Likes

Great minds… :joy:

7 Likes

When we see family and friends, it is outside, about 15 feet apart, and with all adults wearing masks. So I am not surprised by the situation you encountered.

3 Likes

So. I don’t get out of this thread much. Have we heard how this is going? :crazy_face:

Let alone this…

4 Likes

Fingers crossed he’s negative!

1 Like

Really? No. Here the whole point of being outside is so you don’t have to wear the mask. If you have to wear it - let’s just go inside - so I can take off my hat and mittens.

8 Likes

Did you see Len’s edits on another thread?

1 Like
2 Likes

I guess I can thank USA Today for condensing it for me. I still hope to read through the 74 page document later today.

I really hope they can get sailing for many reasons. My family doesn’t want to wear masks, but I know many will be willing to to get back on a ship. I’ll be relying on the first batches of trip reports to make a decision.

Off I go to my Cruise Critic forum. I bet there are a LOT of excited cruisers today. :heart:

3 Likes

Not sure how I feel about masks on my vacation, but I really want to get in my Alaskan cruise with the kids!

It did make me wonder, if masks are required, if it would be worth it for us to get a balcony. We are usually the “cheapest available” type of cruisers, and splurged for an ocean view for Alaska. Having an area to be outside without a mask may be critical to us if you have to wear a mask at all times on deck. The cost increase is frustrating though!

1 Like

Yeah.
And it they do decrease capacity, it will inflate costs more.

My take away is still negative (who me? :smirk:).
If the pre-boarding tests are all negative - why wear masks?
If the masks stop the spread - why pre-test?
If everyone is negative and wearing masks, why ask the questions and take temps?

I know, I know - because no single action is foolproof.

But - I see them all as theater. All about getting the ship back out. About crossing t’s and dotting i’s.

3 Likes

Neat or not… depending on the mood

2 Likes

Two news items for your consideration. One national, one local.

2 Likes

Nope. I really don’t get out much! :laughing:. Ty! (I tried searching on “Unofficial Guide” and got a gabillion hits.)