Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

I really don’t care which one we keep or can, just boot one!

3 Likes

I :heart: DST. I like changing things now and then.

Haha, my though is split the difference, lol. Yes it would cause issues with times zones out side of the US but IDK!

@amvanhoose_701479 are u seeing this BS off Mexico?!! I just cant right now :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

IKR???

1 Like

Nope. No conjunctivitis on the list.

That is exactly what happened to DS. He had enough to do at home since he had just started working, but between that and TX not giving him back his car registration & having to send him a new one (so he could get his parking pass) he could not get on-site for almost a month! But lying about his symptoms would be such a huge no-no, even the slightest whiff of dishonesty could get him in hot water because of his clearance & being new.

We may disagree here at times, but at least we are nice to each other. :smiley:

Because of my weird blood, I have delayed hypersensitivity reactions (t-cell mediated, not from antibodies) that can take up to a week to happen. Fortunately they are just local, but wow, did I get a reaction to a wasp sting this summer. I didn’t know I was even allergic, but boy, I do now!

When I took my medication weekly by injection, I’d have a reaction at the site I used the previous week. Although they weren’t bad reactions, my Dr.s thought it was so weird they switched me to a different drug.

1 Like

Update on our schools. So we are working on week 4 of mostly in-person school. As I said before, one of the elementary schools closed temporarily due to positive COVID cases. That school added another week due to a few more positive cases. They don’t know if it was a potential outbreak, but I’m not so sure, just because I know there are a lot of siblings intermingled in all the schools due to how our schools are set up. At this point all the other schools have remained open. The middle school, where 2 of my kids go had 2 cases related to the closed school (household members), but so far no other cases reported. The high school had one in a contained classroom and has remained open. The other 2 elementary schools (one of which my youngest attends) has had 0 cases so far.

Our distance learning days on Wednesdays are positively miserable with my 3rd grader. He fights doing the work tooth and nail. It was an ugly situation this morning and my poor DH had to get up from bed and deal with the stubborn child as he refused to listen to me. He does not do any of this kind of thing at school with his teacher. I dread to think what would happen if his school closed temporarily. My 6th graders though take care of business and seem to do just fine.

3 Likes

My DH is hoping its Alpha, his self titled appointment in the family. Im Epsilon. Apparenty the dog (Beta) and the cats (Gamma and Delta) have stepped up to secure the next spots. Im told that there may be a demotion to Eta or Theta because the 2 Guinea pigs and turtle have been in talks about their positions :joy: We have no life! :joy: But we ALL know who the real Alpha is (she that holds the food, litter, snacks and leash!)

3 Likes

Run Awaaaaaaay

6 Likes

Still holding the #3 spot on the “2020 power disaster” leader board… :confounded:

2 Likes

Thanks for the school update. It’s highly informative from on the ground information.

Hugs to you for your 3rd grader. You are not alone. I just got off the phone with my supervisor. He has DD7 and DS5 distance learning. He just lost his babysitter to man the 5 hour Zoom school fort. 5 hour of screen time per day is too much time and children that young need help to stay focused and Be at the right places at the right time! Hang in there. :hugs:

1 Like

This is because of Laura. No one around here has power lost. Hope that gets better soon. Yall sending some of the peps out of the hotels? Thats what I heard earlier?

5 hours of online school? That is insane! Carson (11th grade) starts at 8:30 and is done at 11:50. 5 hours blows me away! Those poor kids, parents, and teachers.

1 Like

Are Carson’s classes live or recorded? My friend’s daughter in a different district has all recorded classes. My daughter’s are all live. Interesting how each district is handling this.

All live. Just started this week, so only 3 days in. No tech problems at all that I have heard. They are using Teams, it has been very smooth. Mon and Wed he has 1st, 2nd and 3rd periods. Tues and Thurs 4th, 5th, and 6th. Friday is all 6 classes, just shortened.

2 Likes

Sounds like Carly’s schedule only Wednesday is their day with all classes. However, they are in class most of the day (8:25 - 2:20) but with lots of breaks. She said her teachers will tell them to get away from the screen every so often, plus they have “passing periods” between classes and a 40 minute lunch.

2 Likes

Interesting. Carson’s school day is supposed to be 8:30 until 2:30 or so, but that hasn’t happened. They have advisory every day from 8:30-8:50, which is for their social and emotional learning. Then classes 9-9:50, 10-10:50, 11-11:50. They have an hour for lunch (the entire district has lunch at the same time. I heard some school districts are not doing this which seems very difficult when you have a lot of kids to coordinate/feed), then the afternoon is independent learning. Carson usually hangs out with his friends in the afternoon (mostly virtual right now because of the smoke, though when that clears they will meet for basketball at the park like they have done since May) and does his homework later in the day/evening. It’s a good balance.

2 Likes

Our distance learning days aren’t that long. If my 3rd grader would just do his work without a fight, it would take only a couple of hours at the most. My 6th graders are on longer, as they have work for every teacher, but they are typically done by 1ish, with a lunch break included in there. They start at about 8:30/8:45. There is no live learning, just some online work. (My third grader has had a physical worksheet or 2 to learn cursive letters as well).

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been watching the Laura outage numbers in the SW parishes and they just aren’t decreasing very fast. No power for 3 weeks now. Although, not sure how many of the properties without power might not be habitable anyway. Lots of groups here gathering aid and sending over.

Unless there have been more recent developments, my understanding is that many evacuees were put in hotels instead of shelters due to Covid concerns. I’m unclear if Texas or FEMA is footing the bill. But apparently whoever-it-is wanted to move them further inland. Official reason was it still being hurricane season, they wanted them off the coast, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re trying to get them into cheaper options and/or spread the relief burden/monies around. Local non profits are stretched thin already and all the hotels have low occupancy. There was some 800 number they were supposed to call to arrange new accommodations but sounds like not easy to get through. Plus, moves them further away for those driving back and forth trying to do repairs and salvage.

3 Likes

Texas requires a certain number of minutes of class time in the school year, so our remote learning is supposed to be the full school day in theory.

In practice, my DS10 twins have 4 core classes with live teaching via teams at scheduled times throughout the school day, each followed by time to work independently on (mostly) online assignments. They also have some asynchronous PE and library assignments. Now that tech bugs are mostly worked out, they are generally easily finishing so we’re filling extra time with whatever enrichment we can find (extra credit, reading, etc). We’re trying to maintain a “no recreational screens during school hours” rule so they aren’t rushing through their work.

Trying to hold to same rule for DS16. He has 6 academic classes per day, and it’s a similar story. 4 have a live teaching component each day, the other 2 don’t always. His last period of the day is cross country which combines with after-school practice time, so I need to run him up to school for that 75 min. He’s showing no interest in doing any “enrichment” though. He’s been mainly napping on the couch if he has gaps during the day. It’s unfortunate that he frequently has sporadic dead time early in the day, but then gets assignments in his later classes he has to finish in the evenings. :confused:

Twins scheduled lunch is at 10:35(!) and DS16 is at 11:15. DD19 and her boyfriend (staying with us this semester) vary depending on their class schedules and remote jobs, as does DH and his endless telecons. I’ve taken to cooking in the evenings and then putting out a “leftover buffet” every day for lunch. I feel like I’m running an inn.

3 Likes