Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

jeez, this is what I wish america could do.

3 Likes

I now know someone with a breakthrough case, in FL (but not near Orlando).

3 Likes

They will be yes. It’s the same for under 18s here when rules change next month for fully vaccinated people. If you’re not eligible to be vaccinated, there’s no penalty for not vaccinating.

2 Likes

Interesting article about our government’s failure to recognise the importance of ventilation.

2 Likes

They’ve already tried this in Russia. It went into effect maybe two weeks ago and will be negated next week. It hasn’t worked. The QR code system is a mess and doesn’t work properly, especially for foreigners but also lots of Russians have had problems with it. They also have mandated the vaccine in certain business sectors and all it’s done is create a very pervasive “underground” where you can receive black market vaccination certificates. Good luck, France. I don’t think you’ll have much luck, either.

Thank you- that is a great article

1 Like

I don’t know if I am alone, or if others are feeling the same way. It seems like we are beginning a new wave (oh- I so hope I am wrong) but I am also seeing the same arguments starting on all social media platforms regarding COVID.

It feels to me like we have failed this test before and now we are being allowed to take the re-test- and we are failing again.

I hope I am wrong.

11 Likes

DH and I were just commenting yesterday that it seems like we’re headed towards another lockdown. I was actually shopping for more masks for DS for school next year because it seems like the writing is on the wall (although I foresee the battle this time around even worse than the last time around with those who don’t want to comply).

You are. You have delta. You are a few weeks behind the UK.

Depends how you define success. As I understand it, the problem was people not getting vaccinated. Macron has now bullied them into getting vaccinated. And he’s succeeded. Numbers have spiked.

8 Likes

Maybe quote me in context? I said it hasn’t worked in Russia. It did increase vaccinations a bit but not much, and the whole process failed enough that they are retracting it. That’s all I’m saying.

I don’t think we are headed for another lockdown. Masks in schools in some areas in the country? Yes. But lockdowns? I think we are past that happening again anytime in the near future.

You are absolutely right.

1 Like

I think most of us in the UK anticipate a further lockdown.

Our school district sent out a parent survey yesterday regarding mitigation measures. It was basically getting a feel for what parents are thinking as far as masks, transportation, social distancing, and quarantines. It did note that masks are still required legally on bus transportation and asked what the parent was planning on utilizing to get their child to school.

To be honest, with my vaccinated 12 year olds, I feel much more liberal about what I would like to see them do. With my 9 year old, I was more unsure (which was an option to note), as I think that it will really depend on what is happening when school starts. My kids are riding the bus though. They know they have to wear a mask.

1 Like

Our school district still isn’t indicating this, even though it’s specifically included in the federal FAQs. I think they’re getting their direction from Texas Education Agency, who is getting their direction from the Governor. So.

I can’t even figure out who is responsible for enforcing it from reading online. Sounds like for school busses, Dept of Transportation is deferring to CDC, but I don’t think CDC has enforcement personnel?

Then again, I’m not sure if we’d have our kids ride the busses, even with masks mandated, because compliance with any school procedures here is so variable depending on the specific adults overseeing.

I watched the “back to school” video for the DS11s yesterday, and it just seems so disconnected from the reality of the state of the pandemic. Maybe we need to house swap with anti-maskers from somewhere else for this school year? :crazy_face:

Do you think they are expecting a majority opinion in their parent surveys? How will parents feel if the schools decide to go against majority opinion after they asked?

The middle school students might be the group that forces us to make one rule for all staff/students. In our district you can start 7th grade at age 11. That means 2/3 of the middle school and all of our preschool and elementary students will be unvaccinated.

There is no winning here.

4 Likes

Our school district is still offering a cyber option for this coming school year. If someone is uncomfortable with the decisions made, that is still an option.

I got the feeling from the survey that they were trying to figure out roughly who would ride the bus (there is a bus driver shortage in much of PA, which was happening before the pandemic) and also just getting a feel for what parents are thinking. They did surveys last year and they didn’t always go with the majority rules idea. They did follow the state and CDC guidelines where it applied.

For my middle schoolers, part of the reason they wanted to get vaccinated was to not wear masks. They did not like wearing them at school, but did it as required. I also don’t agree with quarantine for them, as that does not even follow CDC guidelines. Seems to me, there needs to be some method of keeping track of children vaccinated. Not require it, but keep track of it. They keep track of all other vaccinations and health information, so I’m not sure why this would be so different. I’m quite willing to supply a copy of their vaccination cards.

It doesn’t seem quite right to “punish” my vaccinated children when others are choosing not to vaccinate.

In our district, 11 year olds are 6th graders, unless you skipped a grade. So it would be more like 1/3 or less is not eligible to be vaccinated in the middle school, at least for the beginning of the school year.

We just received notice for the new school year. In our school district everyone must wear masks indoors and it’s recommended that all wear them outdoors as well. As a high school teacher, I have mixed feelings about this and the community is currently arguing about the current directive.

2 Likes

Our middle school starts at 5th grade (which our middle school principal said if he had it to do all over again, he would have fought hard against, but it is what it is).