Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

It’s been about 2 weeks since the 12-15 year olds could be vaccinated, so none of them have gotten the second vaccine yet. I think you’ll probably see the effect from that in a few weeks.

There is actually a huge decline in our school district having cases in the last month. But they still have their mask mandate in effect, even for vaccinated individuals. But I think that may be partially due to school ending on the 4th. Might as well stick with the status quo.

2 Likes

This memorial weekend is going to be the real test of how things are doing, whether we see bumps in everything like we did following Memorial weekend last year, 4th of July, winter holidays, the big freeze, and spring break this year. Next 4 weeks will be interesting.

3 Likes

Isn’t covid hampered by warm humid air? If so, Florida in the summer would be a good bet. I don’t know how that is balanced w/ all the ppl taking cover indoors w/ AC though?

1 Like

We still have masks for all and we are down to under 10 cases in school!

We were able to vaccinate 300 middle school students this week. That is about 1/4 of the school. To avoid the questions: with parent permission and translators supported a number of families so they knew exactly what they were signing. The second shots are scheduled before school ends- and some of the parents came and were vaccinated too.

15 Likes

Thanks for stepping up for something that is clearly not really your job as an educator! :heart:

3 Likes

I hope more schools offer the vaccine as it becomes more accessible to kids. Our school district does a flu vaccine clinic every year (parents have to sign for permission). I’m sure it helps increase the number of vaccinated kids.

3 Likes

Yes, and our families don’t fear us the way they fear many agencies.

5 Likes

You Should Be Giving Your Kids the Vaccine - The Atlantic

get past the title

3 Likes

I got great news yesterday: a concert I bought tickets to a year ago, for late August, has been postponed to the same time 2022. Typically I would have been upset, but this let me breathe a huge sigh of relief b/c although I’m definitely ready to go to the beach and the park etc. I am NOT ready to spend several hours in a stadium with tens of thousands of people packed in. So, now I have 3 activities that were 2020, then 2021, and now 2022: 2 concerts and an Alaskan cruise. I feel very confident that I’ll get to do them in 2022, and not unhappy that they aren’t occurring now; the cruise would have departed a few weeks from now.

7 Likes

I am waiting on a determination on a stadium concert for August too. I do hope it is pushed to 2022. I am ready to do a lot of things getting back to normal (we are even doing Disney in July), but not sure about a crowded concert. I also have an Alaskan cruise that was pushed to next year also!!!

3 Likes

That is great. All our friends with 12-15 y/o’s have brought their kids in for 1st doses. I have heard from friends that there is peer pressure in the schools around here to get vaccinated.

6 Likes

positive peer pressure :wink:

6 Likes

here too. All of my kids friends are vaccinated/in the process. I have even heard of kids begging their parents to take them to get vaccinated even when the parents were hesitant.

5 Likes

I really wish this was the case here. DS has had quite a few ‘why are you getting a vaccine that hasn’t been approved fully?’ And ‘it’s not really safe, I can’t believe you’re getting it’ reactions from several of his classmates and friends. And I can tell exactly which of his friends will react negatively just based on their parent’s Facebook posts…

That is so funny! You are not far from our middle school and the students are so excited.

2 Likes

Weird, isn’t it? He was talking to one of his friends on the Xbox right before we left to get his first shot and apparently the friend told DS he was crazy for going to get the vaccine. I told him I would have guessed that…to which he replied ‘then why didn’t you warn me???’

1 Like

Two things: (I don’t know how I missed this first update)

1. This means you can come to Florida for vacation and get vaccinated too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: COVID-19 VACCINES

Florida Eliminating Proof of Residency Requirement for Vaccines at State, Federal Sites

The move, effective Thursday, also expands vaccine access to “any individual who is present in Florida for the purpose of providing goods or services for the benefit of residents and visitors of the state”

Published April 30, 2021 • Updated on April 30, 2021 at 1:26 pm

1. The evening world news reported that unvaccinated covid related deaths are unchanged in the past 2 months. I couldn’t find the reference but found this piece: Is COVID over? Not for children, and unvaccinated people - Deseret News
7 Likes

DS16 had tickets for a stadium concert in June 2020 that got pushed to this June - we are due to open up fully on 21st June (though it looks now like we won’t) and I was so worried that it would go ahead! So I totally understand your happiness, I was so relieved when it was pushed back again to 2022.

4 Likes

We had tickets to see Sting last May and a group tour of Bare Naked Ladies/Gin Blossoms/Toad the Wet Sprocket last July. Additionally, dd and I had tickets this past February to see Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster in The Music Man on Broadway.

So far, Sting was rescheduled a few times and should happen in early September. The group tour was moved to next summer (2022…still July). The Music Man was rescheduled for May of 2022.

2 Likes

Under 30s haven’t been vaccinated here yet and we still don’t know if under 18s actually will be, but if they are it won’t be till autumn. So I was quite anxious and very glad they pushed it back the full year again. I have stuff coming up in autumn but I should be fully vaccinated very soon - I got my first dose 12.5 weeks ago so I’m actually feeling anxious about not getting dose 2 myself.

3 Likes