Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

:joy: he seemed so proud of himself for getting through that.

1 Like

It came back up in the Q&A for another good chuckle, but not long enough of a clip to be worth hunting out:

ACTING ADMINISTRATOR SLAVITT: I suppose I have to take that question, huh?

DR. MURTHY: (Laughs.) Well, all you, Andy.

ACTING ADMINISTRATOR SLAVITT: Thanks, everybody. (Laughter.)

1 Like

While itā€™s a good idea in theory it is just another stat to lie about on your dating profile (age, height, body type) :joy:

1 Like

Iā€™m just wondering how many times he practiced reading that list. :joy:

But itā€™s interesting itā€™s actually a data point being used as a filter at all.

1 Like

Early arrivals frazzle me when Iā€™m frazzled already, especially when something goes unexpected wrong in the kitchen and I am still look like a hot mess.

3 Likes

Thought this article was interesting:

ā€œAcross the country, in fact, peopleā€™s pandemic behavior appears to be disconnected from local policy, which complicates any effort to know which COVID-19 policies actually work.ā€

My take away from this article is that everyone individually has created their own little Covid reality bubble with a pretty firmly entrenched position where they are positive their personal created beliefs are infallibleā€¦including the author of the articleā€¦

ā€œIā€™ll first answer for myself: Skeptical of some official narratives from the Trump administration to the CDC, Iā€™ve become my own private investigator on all things COVID-related. (It helps that Iā€™m paid to be one.) I track what public-health officials say about the pandemic, but I donā€™t wait with bated breath for their pronouncements. Months before the CDC acknowledged that surface transmission of the coronavirus is vanishingly rare, I wrote that surface transmission is vanishingly rare. Weeks before the CDC acknowledged that outdoor mask mandates make no sense, I wrote that outdoor mask mandates make no sense. Iā€™m not bragging; Iā€™m ā€¦ well, all right, Iā€™m bragging a little.ā€

What I find most disturbing about all this is that it seems we will have learned next to nothing from this experience. I guess even more people could have died, but Iā€™m finding it hard to give us a passing grade on 600k fatalities.

8 Likes

I thought it was a good article. What Iā€™ve witnessed the most, in agreement with the author, is that nobody I know is taking their queues from the CDC. Those who believe in masks wear them because they believe they are effective. Those who donā€™t believe theyā€™re helpful donā€™t wear them (unless forced by an employer).

One statement he made I disagreed with: ā€œGovernors donā€™t reopen or close economies. The CDC doesnā€™t put masks on or take them off citizensā€™ faces.ā€ Our Governor has shut down much of our economy. Many businesses have been lost, and people have been in jail and court for trying to not lose their business. The Governor has put masks on faces as far as employment is concerned.

I can say Iā€™ve learned A LOT from this experience. I would have never known what I know now if not for this pandemic.

Great article! Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Oh for sure! I actually meant more like the very beginning of the party. Because a lot of people tend to show up late and things donā€™t really get going at the start time specified.

1 Like

BamaJ, one note on the governor shutting down businesses: thereā€™s a strong case to be made that itā€™s actually pandemics themselves that are bad for economies, not necessarily a governmentā€™s reaction to it. In the second quarter of 2020, when this was really busting out, Swedenā€™s economy actually dropped MORE than its neighboring Scandanavian countriesā€™, despite the fact that Sweden didnā€™t lock down and Denmark, Finland, and Norway did; turns out that people getting sick, people dying, people having to take care of family members who are sick, and people worrying about it are all bad for the economy, too. Witness whatā€™s going on in India: my husband has multiple employees who are taking leaves to go take care of of their sick families. One employee has, thus far, lost seven family members and counting.

Countries that locked down hard and got it under control quickly had economies that recovered faster. Taiwan, for instance has been almost completely open for business - their borders are completely closed, I mean within the country, like restaurants and shops - for at least nine months, maybe a year; the only restrictions have been masks in public transportation, which most people did anyway. They contract trace, hard, any breakouts that pop up, put all contacts in quarantine (and people follow the rules.) Iā€™m so jealous of all our relatives there, living basically normal lives with minimal risk for much of this time. (Though they are doing a little tightening right now, because of an upward blip in cases.) They have had twelve deaths in the entire country this entire time, and they are five times bigger than Minnesota; weā€™ve had like 7500. It helps to be an island and be able to close your borders, but still.

(My husband has a giant family - no kidding, his dad was one of 21, his mom one of 9 - and they are scattered all over the world, and they have a big WeChat so they are always talking to each other. Plus his job is in the Asia-Pacific region, and he talks to people in New Zealand, Australia, China, Thailand, Malaysia, India etc. all day - well, all night, really - long. Spent two weeks every month there until the pandemic; he is super attuned to the global economy. Our godson is in Germany, and I have a regular zoom call each Monday morning with a group of friends in Italy, Austria, Switzerland & France. So we tend to hear whatā€™s working and failing in other places. American media is really not very good about giving us a global view, unless itā€™s something sensationalistic - every place else knows far more about us than we do about them.)

8 Likes

Reminds me off that time on a first date that I figured out a woman lied about her age on her profile ā€¦ turns out she went to the same high school as me but didnā€™t know anyone I mentioned in what would have been her graduating class. Finally, she confessed ā€¦ she had actually graduated 3 years earlier.

6 Likes

I would love talking to people from all over the world regularly! Thatā€™s exciting. Thatā€™s an interesting perspective. More for me to study. :slightly_smiling_face: Iā€™m just going by what I see in our country, comparing how various states are managed. Thereā€™s a lot of variables. For instance, I think we have 5 states where Governors forced Covid position patients in nursing homes which accounts for ~40% of Covid deaths in those states (donā€™t quote me on that, Iā€™m going off of memory and itā€™s been quite a while since I read that so the numbers may be off as we stand now).

BamaJ, I do admire the way you listen to other perspectives and ideas. :slight_smile:

It IS really fun; I have a ticket to Italy to meet up with my friends in October, and Iā€™m so excited. Have every digit crossed that the EU will let me in then; things change so fast.

6 Likes

I will be interested to read the books that are written someday by sociologists and epidemiologists about all of this. It reminds me of the parable where 5 people who have never seen/heard of an elephant are blindfolded, touch one part of the elephant and are then asked to describe the whole animal to others. Many people (even in the same geographic location) describe wildly different experiences during COVID depending on their immediate friends/family experiences. I agree with @amvanhoose_701479 600k dead means there were things we could have done better. That number stuns me every single time I am reminded of it. Itā€™s been nice to be able to come here and get multiple perspectives.

6 Likes

I want to go back to the guy who starts and moderates all these briefingsā€¦ā€œOK we got through that part.ā€ He is the one who commented about not approving of side-eyeing at the no mask for vaccinated briefing. I guess heā€™s the comic relief :wink:

1 Like

@missoverexcited and I have decided to put out a warning on these threads. We are locking one thread and we hope we will not have to lock any of the others regarding covid. Thank you

8 Likes

Iā€™ve been watching the NPR map of cases in the US all year and this is the first time Iā€™ve ever looked at it with no red! That is awesome. :slight_smile: Coronavirus update: View charts of U.S. cases and deaths : Shots - Health News : NPR

7 Likes

Hey is anyone going to try this? Your Shot to Fly Sweepstakes (united.com)

unlimited flights to Disney doesnā€™t sound badā€¦

6 Likes

Random guy along the side of our main thoroughfare holding a hand printed sign;

COVID
vaccines
ā€”ā€”ā€”>
(pharmacy)

Whatever it takes! :laughing:

7 Likes

I always look at the Harvard map and itā€™s looking very yellow today! Wonderful news!
https://globalepidemics.org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/

Also, my county (Pierce County, WA) has been having a peak in cases to rival the big December/January peak. Cases were not quite as high, but hospitalizations were the same for both peaks. I was so concerned because other places were doing so much better and mask usage was slipping yet we were not doing so good. Happy to report that our numbers have dropped significantly. We were about 28 cases per day per 100,000 and now down to about 10 cases per day. Still need to drop some more, but I am feeling better about local conditions. Also the numbers of vaccinated adults is rising here too. Our County executive made a stink with the state and they opened a vaccination site at the Tacoma Dome plus partnered with the school district to offer students 16+ (now 12+) and their adult family members vaccines onsite at two of the high schools with high numbers of minority and poor students. Things are looking up!

7 Likes

I will admit to being incredibly nervous about each step towards normalcy. Today I sent my unvaccinated DD9 to school for an in person field day of about 4 hrs, outside, and I was a total wreck. Iā€™m sure it was fine. Even though masks werenā€™t technically required outside she said that most of the kids had them on the whole time. It was the first time the entire school year that she did an activity with her fellow 3rd graders in person. And I see that our local Six Flags has waived the need for reservations and seems to not be doing any sort of capacity restriction. I expected this b/c Maryland governor waived all restrictions on businesses (as far as I could tell) but I was hoping theyā€™d keep doing some sort of crowd control a little longerā€”now that I finally feel safe to go, with most of the family vaccinated. Oh well. We will still go on a week day etc. at first. And probably not for awhile. I have no idea how to approach the water park. I know water is supposed to be ok, but is it ok with a lot of other people walking through that big water slide contraption with the spilling buckets? I have no idea. I donā€™t want to go and then say to the kids ā€œwell we came here but you canā€™t do X, Y or Z that you were really wanting to do.ā€ I donā€™t want to be a big Party Pooper when Iā€™m almost certainly going to be the one who plans for us to go out in the first place.

3 Likes