Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

Ok I’m entering this fray for a moment. I read that quote as saying the media should be presenting facts and science based information. At this point, a lot of our science based information is coming from the CDC, NIH, etc. The media should not be reporting on false and unverifiable information. To be honest, I don’t think this was followed at all. I’ve seen plenty of media resources, social media included, using commentary and scientifically unverifiable resources to report supposed news. This is on both ends of the spectrum. Therefore, it has caused confusion and doubt when actual verifiable data is presented. And now here we are with people confused about fertility, masks, long term studies, side effects, etc because the waters have been muddied. I support having freedom of the press, but as a society, we need to learn how to weed through the junk and get to the real information.

And now I’m exiting the fray.

4 Likes

But again, you’re being vague. To what end are these nefarious plots supposed to lead? Specifically, since you wanted to express your “anti-vaccine” viewpoint, what is it’s purpose other than granting immunity?

And I find the implication that I’m too dumb to understand that “global leaders” having been telling us what this plot is a little silly, and that’s being nice.

are you talking about this kinda’ stuff?

That gave me chills. When is that from? That’s skeevie. Saw one of my local news anchors on there. :flushed:

2 Likes

That’s ongoing in real time now. Started happening 2 years ago? One entitity…can’t remember name… started buying up all local stations

It’s across networks.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:GoOd GriEf :astonished:

2 Likes

Sinclair Broadcast Group. Don’t look it up, its depressing.

1 Like

Thank you… I couldn’t remember the name and didn’t want to delve into it too far. I agree it’s horribly depressing.

1 Like

Looked it up.
Moving on … :exploding_head:

2 Likes

I won’t press the issue. Just adding my opinion that vaccine hesitancy (or resistance), at least among those I know, can be tied to this removal, flagged etc (whatever you want to call it) process. Instead of accomplishing it’s goal, it is counterproductive. With vaccine uptake lower than hoped for or expected, this may be something to consider. I don’t think it’ll help now. I think the damage is done. Someone posted an article this past week that said it’s all about the messaging. I agree with that. But people have varying responses to messaging, which is demonstrated here.

I think some parties here need to agree to disagree and stop flogging a dead horse. It’s not adding anything to the conversation.

10 Likes

That is one example.

Yes, I am. I’m trying to use caution against directing the conversation where I know people don’t want to go while still trying to get across their motivations.

I’m not sure what I said that implied you were dumb. You clearly are doing research so that thought never crossed my mind.

1 Like

I understand. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you.

Get ready to mark your bingo cards…
Early soft opening to 2021 hurricane season :persevere:

4 Likes

kite

2 Likes

I’d welcome advice on this situation. My family is invited to an outdoor graduation party of someone very important to us, the really informal kind in the family’s small backyard. I fully expect people to hang out in the house. I think we will go, but one of us is still too young to be vaccinated, and we will probably not know a lot of the other guests. It seems like a no brainer to ask the hosts how many people are expected and to say upfront that we’ll probably be wearing masks, but…I feel awkward about it all. What to do? Part of it is that I know they were very worried about the pandemic for the first 6 months but have basically decided it’s over for them. And I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up being the only people there in masks. I’m good at standing up for myself but tend to be overly cordial and accommodating in most social situations b/c I can’t stand awkwardness. So this is hard for me. But until she can get the vaccine I feel obliged to mask for my DD9. The kids are used to playing in this backyard without masks; it will be awkward for them if we make them. Any advice is welcome. These are people we will be seeing a lot of forever so if something awkward happens the consequences will stick with us.

2 Likes

Is there someone you could leave DD9 with, which frees up the rest of you to go unmasked?

2 Likes

She would be devastated to miss it.