Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

I think you were the one that mentioned earlier, don’t let perfect be the enemy of the good. We just need to get shots in arms as quick as we can! Yes, definitely prioritize, but not at the expense of not keeping up with production.

All my random thoughts on vaccine distribution…

PSA: I know distribution is being handled differently in different states, but make sure contact info is up to date with all healthcare providers, for yourself plus anyone you know that should be in these early phases.

A friend was lamenting about trying to get one a slot at one of the public vaccinations for her elderly parents, without realizing their chances would be MUCH better with their PCP at Methodist Hospital, but they’d need to get their MyChart account and text alerts set up. She’s now got them set up. Many elderly that aren’t tech-savvy could use guidance on this.

In skimming to catch up, I saw some discussion of extra doses but didn’t see if an explanation ever got sourced. I’m sure there are snafus with locations getting more doses than expected, but many of the “extras” aren’t actually poor planning but apparently overfill to safeguard against syringe variances and spillage and whatnot. When locations are able to squeeze out extra doses, they really need to just get them to anyone on hand. They are likely scheduling for known doses only. Obviously higher priority people preferred, but we need to just keep this rolling.

Question for @Pod and I think @Jeff_AZ made a couple comments on this but I hadn’t seen anything sourced, I think. How big a deal is it if people don’t get their second dose exactly on schedule? Say at 6 weeks instead of 3-4 weeks or whether? Do we actually know if that is detrimental to the overall efficacy of the vaccine? Vs just delaying them having the full immunity?

I think that data point is pretty key to the “should we reserve the second dose” debate? Especially for these first phases off highly exposed and/or vulnerable.

4 Likes

This is an important point that so many people forget. It’s especially relevant if you are older, not tech savvy and don’t have help. The very people who should be prioritized could be left out if the only or best way to get registered and get a time is online. Or on a phone. There are a lot of people who don’t have cell phones, particularly older people.

1 Like

No we don’t know. The window of vaccination in the studies was very narrow.

2 Likes

I looked up a few articles and most of them are paywalled, but they seemed to all say something similar to this one:

Dr. Nabha said that there is more flexibility for those who get the second vaccine later than requested.

“If you’re missing it by a few weeks,” she said. “It’s highly unlikely to be a significant issue. But if we’re talking about several months, you might need to be re-vaccinated.”

Overall, our experts agree that the best course of action is to get the second dose when requested.

“You want to stick to that second date as closely as possible,” said Dr. Nabha.

2 Likes

Met w/ my Dr. today and asked about getting vaccine here (FL). She’ll call to let me know but… she had no intel on if it will last beyond the two shots; the data isn’t there yet to know if it will need to be an annual shot. It won’t prevent you from getting C-19 but is suppose to lessen the severity of your illness, much like the flu vaccine. She knew there were more ppl complaining about the Pfyzer (can’t spell today) side effects than moderna’s (her patients) thinking due to the extreme temps. Basically she didn’t tell me anything I don’t already know except that I’ll be waiting and waiting to get it.

I’m not a medical provider or expert so don’t rely on my thoughts, but this is inconsistent with the information I have read from many sources and reports on the studies. The information you were given seems like the type of info that will increase the likelihood that people skip the Covid-19 vaccines.

My understanding from what I have read is that the current belief based on the studies is:

(1) the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines will significantly reduce the likelihood a person becomes ill with symptoms (still unknown if that person can spread the virus while being asymptomatic);

(2) for those who become ill after having the proper vaccinations, being vaccinated significantly reduces the likelihood of severe disease developing; and

(3) the studies indicate that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are much more effective than the typical flu vaccines.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? Please correct me if my assessment of the information out there is incorrect.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing!!! My doc kept saying she was going by the CDC. Makes me wonder :frowning: You make a GREAT point… why get a vaccine if you still can get sick w/ it!?

Now I’m curious what the CDC website says. I am going to check. Maybe my info is wrong, but I have read a number of articles.

EDIT TO ADD: Below is what I found on the CDC website. I think the CDC information is more optimistic about protection than your provider says it is.

From CDC website:

COVID-19 vaccination will help keep you from getting COVID-19

• All COVID-19 vaccines currently available in the United States have been shown to be highly effective at preventing COVID-19. Learn more about the different COVID-19 vaccines.
  • All COVID-19 vaccines that are in development are being carefully evaluated in clinical trials and will be authorized or approved only if they make it substantially less likely you’ll get COVID-19. Learn more about how federal partners are ensuring COVID-19 vaccines work.
  • Based on what we know about vaccines for other diseases and early data from clinical trials, experts believe that getting a COVID-19 vaccine may also help keep you from getting seriously ill even if you do get COVID-19.
  • Getting vaccinated yourself may also protect people around you, particularly people at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19.
  • Experts continue to conduct more studies about the effect of COVID-19 vaccination on severity of illness from COVID-19, as well as its ability to keep people from spreading the virus that causes COVID-19.
1 Like

So… You don’t get the flu shot?

I never have, no. My DH was ‘ordered’ to get it every year as an active duty military member and every year I watched him get the flu, from the shot (more so the nasel spray form), and spend days sick in bed. So, I said, “NO WAY!”

I don’t think it actually can give you the flu? I think as it triggers the response that builds the immunity, some people develop some flu-like symptoms as if they had the flu? But I don’t think it can progress beyond that and they aren’t contagious at any point?

8 Likes

I don’t know about the contagious part… But I do know that at least in the early 90s you could get the flu from it - I did in 1991 and refused to get it for years as a result. I felt like I was sicker from the 91 shot than I’d ever been from the flu.

Because I have “reactive airway” (asthma which only acts up if there is something else respiratory going on), my doctor has made me get it since about 2010 and I have not gotten sick from it. I think sometime between 91 and 2010 they changed how it is formulated so that the odds of getting it from the shot are much lower.

I think it’s a semantics issue. The vaccinations are ~95% effective in preventing you from getting the COVID-19 disease, but they aren’t certain yet how effective it is in preventing you from transmitting the SARS-CoV-2 virus. (see difference at bottom)

I think those in the 95% aren’t even considered asymptomatic? They don’t even test positive? But I’m not certain on that. It’s the remaining 5% that weren’t fully protected that had lessening of symptoms, I believe.

Disease coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
Virus severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)

I seem to remember that tuberculosis, it is possible to never test positive but still be a carrier.

1 Like

I would get a vaccine if would greatly reduce the likelihood of severe illness even if I could still get sick.

I never got the flu vaccine until my wife was pregnant for the first time. I have gotten the flu vaccine every year since then. I had the flu once when unvaccinated and once when vaccinated … obviously one person’s experience doesn’t make it true for anyone else, but when I was vaccinated it was a much milder case than when I was unvaccinated.

4 Likes

We do have some limited evidence from the Moderna trial where they tested everyone when they came in for their second dose. These tests suggested that the vaccine cut asymptomatic infections by about 2/3. I think these were still included in the 95% efficacy? Not at all sure on that though.

Here’s one article that talks about these findings - bottom line is that we need more data.

I don’t know about the 90s, but here’s what the CDC says. Perhaps they’ve just been able to refine it more so fewer people react as if they had the flu?

Can a flu vaccine give you flu?

No, flu vaccines cannot cause flu illness. Flu vaccines given with a needle (i.e., flu shots) are made with either inactivated (killed) viruses, or with only a single protein from the flu virus. The nasal spray vaccine contains live viruses that are attenuated (weakened) so that they will not cause illness.

Same website also addresses the following and other questions:

Why do some people not feel well after getting a seasonal flu vaccine?

What about people who get a seasonal flu vaccine and still get sick with flu symptoms?

3 Likes

The refining it thing is my guess.

Though I suppose I could have gotten the flu not from the vaccine…but in that case why my roommate didn’t is a mystery.

As I said, my doctor has required me to get it since 2010 and I have not gotten sick immediately after the shot…or from the flu at all since then.

Did you get a flu test that was positive? Maybe it was a different virus (coincidentally at the same time as the flu shot)?

No - but it was the classic flu symptoms.

Has anyone heard of alcohol intolerance as a long-term effect from COVID? My friend who presumably had it in late March/early April now gets sick (throwing up sick) if she has any alcohol. Unfortunately, she decided to test this (again) and had a margarita at AK today. :nauseated_face: But she made it to the bathroom! I don’t drink often, but do on vacation. I’m a vacation drinker! :rofl: Hoping I don’t find out the hard way that this is the case for me as well.

1 Like