Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

Gotcha! I know where you mean.

All colleges are not having all students sign off that they follow the college rules?

So let me get this straight:
A NY health care worker is directed (from the State) to take a test after a trip to FL (naughty list)
She called the County health Dept. to set up the test
County told her the test is not necessary (as directed on the Federal level by the CDC)

Iā€™m assuming she is not getting tested now? Which party would be waiting for the results, and do they follow through on the outcome of the results??

My son had to sign for rules.
Iā€™m not sure what I said that put my foot in my mouth?

Looking back at my recent posts ā€¦

My son is allowed to visit home, but not stay over night.

Was it about a different post?

I was just wondering if when the rules changed students sign off and if lunch is against something students would have signed off on.

1 Like

Yes.
She called work.
Work said county health.
County health said not required.
County health is state agency.
They gave her directions she didnā€™t need testing.
She didnā€™t ask why not.

Who. Stinking. Knows.

3 Likes

I guess I didnā€™t read that literally. I was thinking that just meant she couldnā€™t come home for the weekend. I hope itā€™s not actually forbidden to leave campus.

My son is allowed to leave.

I just looked at the website for where @Jennifer_B_568600 ā€˜s DD attends and the wording is ā€œwe have provided some flexibility In this area and asked you to exercise good judgement.ā€

UMass Amherst (before they decided to shut down) rule was no one could leave campus. There are colleges here with that rule so I did take it literally.

3 Likes

I understand that now. :blush:

I heard that was the case at a local college near me. But they didnā€™t tell students that before they arrived to campus, and many students cried they did a bait-and-switch, and refused to sign it. They ended up still allowing the students to attend. That school went fully remote and it blew up in the paper and local news that students and families were livid.

That college was much earlier than any other in our area. I suspect it provided a good example for other schools to prepare things differently.

I just asked my son if heā€™s had to sign anything. He did not when we dropped him off. He said he has not.
They are expected to take their temps daily and upload them before they leave their dorm rooms.

3 Likes

How did they handle commuters I wonder?

They had to be remote off campus. Most of the students were going to be remote locked in their dorms. Now, the dorms are closed and everyone is remote (or most everyone) I think. I have a friend that has a son in his sophomore year.

1 Like

As someone who didnā€™t get married until I was 40 and spent a lot of time in the dating scene ā€¦ if I were still single, I would be taking a long break from dating these days. It sounds way too stressful! Fortunately, I can stay at home with my wonderful wife!

6 Likes

I get it, but I still think those numbers are way too high for in-person learning. Here is my ā€œnapkinā€ ā€¦ am I missing something?

If tests are catching about 20% of the positives, then at 100/100,000, there are about 500/100,000 cases (or 1/200) average per day.

If people are contagious for about 10 days (also an estimate), then at any given time, 1/20 people in the area are able to spread Covid-19.

If hybrid classrooms are about 10 students, then there would be about 1 active case for every 2 classes. Way too high.

At 10/100,000 positive tests, then it would be 1 active case for every 200 people. At those figures, I think I would be comfortable with in-person so long as it was a hybrid model as there would still would be positive cases in most schools.

At 1/100,000 or less, then I could see full in-person learning.

Note: I find it interesting that states with the most cases seem to have the highest threshold for what the states think is time to switch to remote learning while states with fewer cases seem to have lower thresholds. Whether one agrees with my thresholds or not, the threshold for what is condered safe for in-person learning should be determined independently of the number of cases in the state.

2 Likes

So commuters were remote from the start. Itā€™s actually the least disruptive starting point, it seems.

2 Likes

If I was told I was not permitted to leave campus and I was going to be locked down in my dorm, I donā€™t think I would be staying on campus. And I was by no means a partier in college. Even my middle school and elementary school sons who are doing in-person schooling 4 days per week have more freedom than that. But I digress.

4 Likes

I think I may have said this somewhere else on the board, but I think the timing of some of these decisions is the most concerning to me.

Imagine a freshman arriving to campus with their brain already on overload. Theyā€™re handed keys, given directions, and asked to sign some papers. At that point theyā€™ve already signed all the financial aid papers and theyā€™ve gotten class lists and they are IN.
Can they even weigh what they are suddenly signing? Even the parents are probably overwhelmed at this point if it is their first.

Vs - information to them ahead of time and having time to contemplate.

Older or returning students may find it a little less jarring.

7 Likes

Shoot, after the first couple of weeks of lockdown, DS5 climbed his shelf and jumped out his window to ā€œescape quarantine!ā€ No way would I (or my kids) be down for being locked in a dorm.

3 Likes

I think the colleges around here they had to stay on Campus, not in their rooms.

2 Likes

I suppose that wouldnā€™t be as bad, but as a parent, I still would not want to be told that I could not come see my child, or that they could not leave with me.

2 Likes