Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

1 Like

Okay. Here is actually the policy from the school’s own website.

There is nothing mandatory here. Students SHOULD contact for counseling options, and are STRONGLY advsied to remain on campus.

No mandates.

4 Likes

I have to agree with you here. I’d like to have seen them try to keep me from taking my kid home!

3 Likes

This is where I am now, so very tired of the run around! In the past 2 months we have done all of this, and have have zero illness (and 3 negative Covid tests for our daughter):

1. Traveled to Central Idaho from Washington State, spent a weekend in small town Idaho with multiple family members we don’t live with, do not even live in the same state.
  2. Went to Glacier National Park for 3 days, wore masks some of the time, but mostly not since we were outside. Lots of people there.
  3. Went to WDW and UOR, flew across the country and back and stayed 8 nights. Mask usage high there and on planes, but ate inside dining most days.
  4. Flew across the country and back again to Vermont to take my daughter to college. Hotels for 3 nights, and I didn’t even wipe down the room like I did at WDW/UOR. Mask usage high in Vermont.
  5. Flew yet again across the country and back to bring my daughter home from the jail existence she decided was not for her. Again 3 nights in a hotel, did nothing extra to clean.
  6. Worked as a RN throughout this whole thing, and yet no one on my entire unit has had Covid, even those with direct exposure before knowing the patient was positive (quarantine at home 14 days).
  7. DH has worked through this whole thing, he is a VP at a construction company. Their mask use is not the greatest, yet no one has gotten it.
  8. DH and his many friends are helping one of them build a house in Hells Canyon in Idaho, they go every couple of weekends and there is zero masking there. Different people all living their lives, coming together to work together…and no Covid.
    We have given Covid every chance to get us, and it just doesn’t happen despite living in a county stuck in phase 2 for over 100 days because our case count is too high. We have too much community spread they say. Kids cannot go to in person school, and all fall sports are basically cancelled. All because of the case number, not because of an overwhelmed health care system. Our hospitalizations for Covid are so low, we closed our Special Pathogens Unit due to minimal use. Meanwhile the hospital is full of patients with mental health and drug related issues. 2020 is just a mess, and not only related to Covid.
7 Likes

In the story, and in my analogy, there is a wolf. I never said there was not.

2 Likes

Thanks, I expect when students report to school in a couple of weeks some of them will feel like you do and I want to be able to look at it from their side. I struggle with this because I go to work every day. I am in a public building and as more and more people come back to work, more and more of them come into meetings and take off their masks, or pull them down, or I see groups in rooms without masks.

I have multiple risk factors but it is the way Covid attacks heart disease that terrifies me. I can live, work, play with two heart issues and medications. I am not confident my heart will be able to survive Covid. I look at the Covid world and know I could live a relatively “normal” life if everyone around me makes the same choices as me. Or, I possibly will not.

11 Likes

In the story about crying wolf, there was no wolf at the beginning.

But there was one, wasn’t there?

Just like in the story, the authorities are crying about every small thing, and eventually people ignore them about everything, including the real risk. That is the point of the analogy. Not that there is no risk.

1 Like

We talk about this frequently at work. I have yet to meet a coworker, be it doctor or nurse, who is jumping at the chance to get the vaccine. I think a lot of medical professionals are clearly in the “let’s see how that works” before getting it ourselves.

3 Likes

I agree a student housing operation isn’t in a position to try to provide medical care. That’s what universities have student health services for, and to me that is who should be responsible for at least nominal monitoring of students in isolation, increasing as needed. Maybe student health sends a nurse to the isolation floor daily to check on students who need it so they don’t have to go to the clinic. Since they are part of the same university, it shouldn’t be that difficult to coordinate. But students in isolation also need support like they would get at home, for example helping students get needed items such as OTC medications and having someone available to check on students who aren’t answering their phone for worried family members. I’m not clear that those kinds of things were going to be possible where my son was headed.

3 Likes

In related news (to COVID vaccinations)…I just got my flu vaccine. Had to see the doctor for fear of a tick bite. Turns out it wasn’t. Glad about that. But in the meantime, they had flu shots available. So I’m good for the season.

5 Likes

I totally respect this. You have your own risks that you have calculated, and that helps form what you believe should be happening in the public arena. I am in a line of work where I am only physically exposed to a small number of coworkers and not the public very often, and I’m not very social to be out and about among too many people normally. I’m sure that all affects my opinions on all of this. It helps to see many different perspectives. I hope you are able to stay safe and all goes well when your students come back.

6 Likes

I had my flu shot as well.

1 Like

You’re killing me, Smalls. (But I love you @Wahoohokie!!)

I’ve been to the bank, Walmart, and a podunk campground in Lake George.

People who’ve been able to vacation with their families don’t get the level of hostility I have toward government overreach.

3 Likes

Here would be my observation about your situation.

Y’all were “forced” to build a fence to keep the wolf out. And it’s been successful. So now you’re questioning why the fence was ever built. (And, yes, you have cited other places that didn’t build fences and they haven’t had a wolf encounter yet, but there are many places that have.)

I am very concerned about the number of communities that have gotten lax about keeping their fence up and the gate shut and their risk of wolf encounters goes up by the day. Because as expensive as it is to maintain the fence and as annoying as it is to have to use the gate, it pales in comparison to the cost and effort of removing the wolf once it’s already running amok.

Will they all encounter wolves? Nope. Will some? Yep.

“I haven’t seen a wolf yet!” should be seen as a blessing, not an error.

14 Likes

What’s interesting to me in that article is that 41% of the people surveyed said they wouldn’t get the vaccine even if it was mandated.

Which may be why Dr. Fauci said they would not make it a mandate.

1 Like

This is very emotive. Which makes it sound quite compelling.

We don’t want people’s kids horribly injured in car accidents, either.

In the United States, 675 children 12 years old and younger died as occupants in motor vehicle crashes, and nearly 116,000 were injured in 2017. (Source: CDC.gov)

That’s a lot of misery. What should we do about it?

Well, we do quite a lot. Despite the restrictions on personal liberty, we make people take tests before we let them drive unsupervised, and we make them follow a catalogue of rules. We remind them what the rules are with large, aggressive, red signs that say STOP. (How un-American!)

But we don’t shut down the automobile industry and ban cars. Modern society couldn’t function if we did.

So . . . COVID. Let’s have rules / regulations / advisories and let’s all follow them. But let’s not shut everything down forever. It just doesn’t feel like it’s necessary any more. Why is DLR still shut? It makes no sense. It’s not necessary. It’s costing jobs. And livelihoods. And causing misery. Not “my kid is dying” misery, but “I can’t afford to feed my family” misery. Fun fact: the suicide rate in the UK has risen this year.

The UK has basically shut down almost all foreign holidays. If you want to go to France, you have to quarantine for 14 days when you get back. Most people can’t do that. So holidays are cancelled. Flights are cancelled. Virgin Atlantic has announced an additional thousand job losses. On top of three or four thousand already announced. Manchester Airport has shut down one of its three terminals. It’s crazy.

3 Likes

I get it, despite vacationing. We are still in the “no necessary travel” stage here. But that makes zero sense to us, so all our travels are necessary. :rofl:

3 Likes

I expect more from them. No-one has to stand for public office. It’s not compulsory. If following the rules during a pandemic is genuinely so important that we’re willing to tank the economy, then you better damn well follow the rules you order others to follow. And if you don’t, you can’t be surprised when people stop taking you seriously and stop listening to you.

9 Likes

It is no longer closed due to being unsafe, that is for sure! Funny how Florida, with all their cases, can successfully open UOR and WDW without outbreaks. Somehow the risks of opening Disney in California is much, much higher than opening it in Florida. :crazy_face:

2 Likes