Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

ETA: …complete with owl stowaway!

8 Likes

“COVID-19 vaccines are almost ready to be distributed. Who gets them after health care workers? Here’s a list.”

1 Like

I wonder what qualifies as “young adult.”

I find a couple of things a bit confusing.

It looks like people in the 30ish-65 age range that are in good health and have no special job would all be in phase 4. Yet that’s only 5-15%. It surprises me that so few people match that description. Though I suppose that list of industries in Phase 3 could be more extensive than I realize.

Given that children/youth tend to have the best outcomes (as far as I understand), I thought that they’d be the last phase. I don’t object to kids being earlier in line, but I wonder what the logic is. Grandma and grandpa want to hug the littles? Kids tend to be disease vectors and as more people get vaccinated and the efforts at social distancing fall off, they become more likely carriers? (I don’t know if that’s the case, but I could imagine that happening.)

It’ll be interesting to get a better understanding of the underlying logic as more information comes out.

1 Like

We have started talking in our school district on what this will look like. We have flu clinics for staff so we are hoping we can do it in a similar way (and we are hoping “teachers” is defined as adults working in schools).

When I was in elementary school they used to line up classes and bring them through the gym to get vaccinations. That would be so easy but I don’t see that happening?

1 Like

One university has come up with a different way to get its population to comply with social distancing measures.

I get why they’re doing it, and it does seem to be helping keep people healthy and keep the campus running. It’s an interesting approach. I can, however, understand those students who don’t like the implications. Thoughts?

I take it these fall under “young adults” and would be in phase 3. I’m actually wondering who is in phase 4. Seems like all other groups could conceivably fall into one of the other phases.

I wonder if the “people in prisons” getting some degree of priority will be controversial? I think it’s the right call, but I suppose some might take issue.

1 Like

As a contact tracer, I thought this was interesting. I bet the guy was working for cash off the books.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a-pizza-workers-lie-forced-an-australian-state-of-17-million-people-into-lockdown/ar-BB1bcxVZ?ocid=uxbndlbing

Well, it’s not much different from how doctors make most types of medical care decisions. The only things considered are medical need and potential benefit. Various scales of merit have been proposed to handle shortages (even temporary ones) such as this, but they don’t really sit well with our cultural and legal heritage.

For a time, organ transplant for Medicaid patients in Oregon was merit-based, and that didn’t last long at all. Who decides what values will be utilized? The best way, for us at least, is that all of us are equal and each case is decided only the medical issues. Which may not always occur IRL, but that’s the goal.

2 Likes

I just saw that a county next door that tried in person instruction for K - 2nd has shut that down today. They were about to start 3rd - 5th, but now that’s off and the whole thing is virtual. As opposed to my county which went ahead in July and said nobody’s coming back until February. I’m glad for the consistency of not going back and forth, even though we’re desperate to go back. One of mine truly needs in person help and it’s impossible to get. The testing needed is impossible to get. Virtual attempts at that kind of help just didn’t…help.

The problem is that it’s not clear whether the vaccine will just protect you or will mean you aren’t contagious. If all it does is minimize your symptoms/response to the virus, but still leaves you contagious, then certainly the “disease vector” children should be a priority.

I expect that those in the final phase are stay at home people? Like the mom who was home with her kids, but her kids are older now, but she’s not in the work force and too young to retire. Not sure, but that seems like it might be the target. Or people who work from home the majority of the time.

“an underlying condition that would put them at moderately higher risk”

Over 40% of adults are obese so that puts a huge group in Phase 2 right there, I think. I think many people are not grasping that a majority of the US population probably has at least one risk factor.

I suspect “young adults” is going to target college students. Those of us in that 30ish-65 category may like to think of ourselves as “young” but…no…

Between multigenerational households and grandparents that provide after school care, this is needed to get kids back to on campus learning without endangering those grandparents or other vulnerable household members. (Some may have conditions that will be incompatible with getting the vaccine. There are also potential immigration concerns in many communities that will hinder grandparents from getting vaccinated.)

I totally think that will happen. Simply from a logistics standpoint, they will be doing mass vaccination clinics so why not do them directly at schools with parental consent? That makes more sense then parents having to take them separately elsewhere, especially when many are trying to avoid public transportation.

I would very much expect it will be a required vaccination to attend on campus schools in many places, at least for awhile, so that would also facilitate that paperwork.

2 Likes

I got the
" we might have to close to elective procedures soon" memo from our hospital CEO today. ugh.

@Julianne_fki @Wahoohokie

Hey, stop stealing our talent! :laughing:

“Dr. Umair Shah, executive director of Harris County Public Health, will leave his position on Dec. 18. According to the agency, Shah is taking the role of Secretary of Health for the state of Washington.”

Dr. Umair Shah stepping down as Harris County Public Health executive director - ABC13 Houston

3 Likes

This is interesting. I think someone here actually postulated something along these lines a few thousand comments back :laughing:, but here is the science to back it up. I think it bodes well for them to be able to fine tune a vaccine over the long term.

4 Likes

I had heard that Wiesman, our current Secretary of Health, was leaving, but didn’t know the replacement had been decided already! It makes sense, though, because Wiesman gave notice in the spring. I just looked it up and he’s going to a faculty position at University of North Carolina in July 2021. I’m sorry you’re losing a good public health voice in a place where it’s sorely needed! But glad we’re getting someone who comes with your recommendation. :grin:

1 Like

I need to know ASAP what to do if you’re the only person in a household in charge of kids and you think you might have covid. Mask inside is obvious, but what else? Do you have to wear the mask when they aren’t around?

Probably wise to wear it at all times when in common areas. Maybe reserve the adult’s bedroom as a mask free zone and keep it closed at all times.

I hope it’s not you! I am in a similar position. Started having what could be COVID symptoms Thursday. Had a test Friday but no results yet. No kids here though except for DD20 and DD18.

1 Like

They should probably also use a different bathroom if possible.

1 Like

I would wear a mask any time I was out in the common area or around them. I would also wash my hands before touching anything that they might touch and especially food. If you are a caregiver of very young children, I would see if there was anyone who could take them, even for a few days.

My thoughts always go to worst case scenario. What if you do have it and have to be hospitalized? Who takes the kids? Whomever that is, should get a call and if you think they can come in so you can isolate, that would be ideal.

Finally, get tested. If you can, get the kids tested, too. If they already have it, you might not want friends or family near them.

I hope you don’t have it.

2 Likes

That was probably me. This article is very interesting.
We’ve had 4 of our great grandkids at our house weekends for a couple of years. These kids have nearly constant snotty noses tho they didn’t this last summer. Let school get started, and there we are with the colds again.
I suggest that’s one of the reasons nursing homes and prisons have been so hard hit - very few snotty nose kids.
For years I’ve gotten a flu shot less to avoid the flu and more because I’ve noticed everything is milder when I’ve had the shot. I always thought the shot was retraining my immune system. I guess it was waking up my memory cells.

2 Likes

So Minnesota alone was able to trace more than 80 cases to Sturgis. Including one death :confused:

2 Likes