Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

Yes, its not ALL about what our system can handle. We do need to focus on more than that.

The especially troubling thing about this approach is that here masks are required at school, but I highly doubt they would be used at an indoor play date. Thus the risk is not the same They are basically undermining all of the in-school precautions. And even if they do mask, I’m not even sure how much donning masks when the guest arrives helps if the host family has been maskless in that room for hours.

I would hope they would be community minded enough to realize how hard it has been on essential workers to have their kids out of school for an extended time. It’s been a huge economic hardship on many of them that already struggle with childcare arrangements during the summer break. It seems like the least we can do to show our appreciation to them. Or at least realize it’s in their own self interest to have the services they need available.

5 Likes

This is exactly what I’m talking about.
It was suggested that we could give up dining out or shopping, etc. to promote in-school learning. I think restaurant and shop owners and employees would want to be in business and back to work. Not just the “essential” stores, like Dunkin’ and liquor stores (NY), but also the mom and pop diners and florists and tailors.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. Reading back, you are correct, that was suggested by someone.

I was thinking of the more discretionary activities, like the small (mostly maskless) social gatherings that are driving a lot of spread. Or really, any type of kids activity that kicked off with schools re-opening that isn’t adhering to guidelines equivalent to what the schools are doing. I’m hearing of huge discrepancies between how school athletics are being run and non-school sponsored athletics. (And the school athletes socializing maskless outside of school.)

Well, except possibly bars. Those just re-opened (again) here and I’m concerned how that will go. The last attempt, disregard for any kind of adherence to any guidelines was pretty widespread. I just don’t know they are compatible with any place with severe community spread.

2 Likes

I can’t ask the relatives to watch the kids any longer b/c by the time we get back it will have been 3 full weeks. And we’re coming back with a fairly full UHaul. It won’t be possible to hold that stuff away from the main parts of the house. All of the germs will be there. We’re going to get a storage area for some of it but it won’t hold all. Putting it all in storage and then taking it out later is a task I just don’t want to face; we’d need another UHaul. I guess we have a 2 day drive ahead to discuss all of this stuff. We’ve taken precautions but for a variety of reasons they weren’t nearly as good as at home.

I really wouldn’t be at all concerned about items after a couple of days in transit. Maybe if it was directly in contact with a known positive case.

This is pretty old now, but I don’t think the general thoughts have changed drastically.

3 Likes

Seriously, this is what every decision feels like these days.

9 Likes

8 Likes

I think you’re correct. Enough time has elapsed.
I wouldn’t be concerned.

If I were, I’d have some cloths and lysol/water in a spray bottle and gloves and a mask for a quick wipe down as it comes out of the trailer.

Mostly for dust. Probably safety glasses, as well.

Btw, the answer to your excellent math problem is: because on Friday.

2 Likes

I was thinking 42… :laughing:

3 Likes

We completed four weeks yesterday of in person at least 50% for everyone. We are now remote for almost everyone. The community spread, that changed us to red weeks ago finally made it into the schools with both students and staff.

I hope it doesn’t creep into your city/town.

We have been begging the community to wear masks, social distance, wash hands, stop the large gatherings. Being in the red is impacting our hotels, restaurants, city revues, jobs. Not having in-person school impacts the ability to for parents to work.

All of us are impacting others by our behavior. It is NOT a “school issue”.

10 Likes

This is the biggest issue to me. One of the most important things to do is stay home when you are sick. You can have an outbreak in the community and keep schools open by following just a few basic hygiene practices. Wash your hands, stay home when you are sick, and in the case of Covid-19 at this time, wear a mask in public. If people can’t do that, then I can understand why some schools may end up with an outbreak and have to close.

3 Likes

Sorry I’ve been absent, we’re hustling to get completely moved into our mountain house before winter, which evidently starts tomorrow :grin: Once it snows, there’s no getting a moving van up that driveway.

I agree with you about it becoming endemic. Even if a vaccine is found, many people won’t want to get it and it would be hard to justify giving it to children, I think. So they will always be there as a vector.
& a reservoir. Most people will either get the virus, or the vaccine, possibly repeatedly for both. That’s the scary part.

I had a significant exposure to COVID yesterday, from a neighbor who just wanted to come over and say goodbye. He was obviously symptomatic, but had been told he wasn’t infectious because he was more than 10 days out and afebrile (lol, he’s not the kind of guy who actually would take his temperature). But as to improving symptoms? I kind of doubt that. The man had to sit down on our top step because he was too weak to stand. We’d been chatting for about five minutes about grass seed when he finally mentioned his diagnosis. Luckily, we were outside.

DH was furious, and it takes a lot to get him rattled. The neighbor’s COVID test wasn’t back yet but there’s little doubt in my mind. He looked like death warmed over. His pretest probability is high- large extended family, very gregarious, and we’re having a huge spike in cases. Even if his test is negative I won’t believe it.

And I thought, THIS IS EXACTLY HOW THIS THING SPREADS- FAMILY AND FRIENDS. Which I knew. But he didn’t. Stupid, stupid, stupid me. I’d been wearing my n95 mask all day, wiping things down and airing out the house with all the workmen about. And then slipped up because of a friend.

Nothing to do but wait now. It’s a little terrifying given all the drugs I have to take, but luckily one of them is HCG, FWIW. :grin:

11 Likes

Forget nice things … this is why we can’t have normal.things.

7 Likes

I am so sorry. Yes, this is exactly what is happening. Add to it that if he has spread it, those people won’t know until/if they start to show symptoms.

I cannot say it enough. Our experience having students in-person in school has been amazing. Students have followed every single protocol without complaint. Our current shut down has broken our hearts (students and staff).

We will all fight to continue to keep businesses open but none of us are “independent contractors”. We depend on each other to expand this opening. If people think the protocols do not apply, restrictions will be implemented that will hurt so many, on so many levels.

11 Likes

Much too obvious. :rofl:

2 Likes

The small town (40,000+) that I’m in mostly is talking about switching to virtual after more than 2 months of most students in class - mask wearing required. There aren’t enough teachers to keep the classrooms open. Even with the opening of substitute teacher jobs to anyone with a high school diploma.

I’ve heard they hope to open back up to in class in a month or so

Football and track are in full swing in middle and high school. Most sports bars have full parking lots, afternoons. More businesses are requesting masks - sign on the door. And then there’s the mom at Target talking about her son having one more day of quarantine. With her mask on her chin.

@Pod, which way was the wind blowing? :confounded:

5 Likes

It wasn’t. But typically blows down the canyon, from behind me. Yay!
I’d still consider me a close contact, though and put me in quarantine, save for the fact his docs told him he wasn’t infectious. I just don’t really believe that. He looked like hell. In fact one reason he came over was to ask how long it would last. Sigh.

5 Likes

So, so sorry to hear about your exposure…

Peoples’ attitudes towards masks and isolation are infuriating, especially as we head into winter, though we will still be in the 80s and 90s this week. :stuck_out_tongue:. But I do place a small part of the blame for those attitudes on officials who enact requirements that make zero sense.

Moving is exhausting. Praying that the exposure is inconsequential and that you can cuddle up and enjoy your new home!

So happy to see you! We were all getting worried about you. :two_hearts:

4 Likes