Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

This is how I felt about my boss for a while. And I work much more closely day to day. We share a 20 x 40 office. Sounds big but we have a lot of stuff in it and it has it’s own AC system, so just circulating the same air, and its old. He tried for a while to wear a mask in the office but gave up. I got tires of telling him. He doesnt come in my space often and isnt there the whole day. Its very frustrating. But what can I do? I can have kept nagging him but I was just getting angrier and angrier. I decided to let it go. We both do not have large social circles or go many places. I hope that bosses test comes back negative! Then maybe their will be an inquiry into why he wasnt wearing the mandated mask in the first place. Unfortunately it could be too little too late. :frowning:

I seriously would just go take a break outside every time he’s unmasked. But I’m pushy like that. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I do sometimes, lol.

2 Likes

I look at all the health care workers who haven’t been reinfected, but who work in Covid-heavy units.

3 Likes

Well, if people gave up, that would be bad. Not my goal. I don’t think that would be the net result, but one debate at a time.

However, if naturally acquired immunity is fleeting… and if that means “herd immunity” as most people conceive of that term can’t be achieved… then as a purely factually correct statement it’s irrelevant what it does (or doesn’t do) to the morale of the populace.

On the subject of Fauci, you’ll note that in all the words he’s spilled on the material you’ve referenced, he’s never referred to it as “herd immunity”. Because it’s not. That’s all I’m saying.

2 Likes

Is this still applicable? Rare, yes. Not so anecdotal anymore. It’s now clinically documented, and not just this one case in the US.

1 Like

Fair enough. I think we agree on the facts but are just emphasizing different things.

1 Like

Exactly, I think this reinfection is sooo rare that it is an anomaly at this point. I personally think it is going to be like other coronavirus and your immunity wears off at some point but for the masses, it will not be with in a few months. The death rate for Covid 19 vs other coronavirus is alarming but I think the scientific community is working on this. Many, many people take a risk of not getting a flu shot. I hope this virus gets like that, shot if you want it, and we can get going. But until we can offer people a somewhat solution to medically minimize the risk, I think we will see these restrictions continue. Some places are obviously being more reasonable than others.

1 Like

Anyone know how many of the “common colds” people get each year are actually corona viruses and not rhinovirus? Just how “common” is it to have that version of a corona virus?

I mean, we all get colds, but how often do we get the one that’s not just a rhinovirus? I’m wondering if it would give a hint as to the immunity of that type of virus.

1 Like

The CDC says [pause for eye roll and head shake] 4 of the coronavirus cold viruses can infect humans. Webmd says about 20% of colds are one of the coronaviruses.

If you’re around early elementary kids frequently, you’re around colds - maybe you’ve got some immunity built up. If you’re not around that age group at all, you’re probably not around colds and you’ve certainly not got any immunity.

The flu shot is supposed to work by showing your immune system who the bad guys are by introducing your system to benign bad guys. Then your immune system is supposed to get to work doing what it’s designed to do.

Presumably most colds are like that. Your immune system learns to recognize that virus as something to ward off, and eventually, maybe, by the end of cold season, perhaps your system is allowing you to have milder colds, if any.

What if some elderly have immune systems that have become unacquainted with the things they’re meant to ward off?

We’re hoping for a vaccine and I’m really hoping it’s more like whooping cough vaccine than influenza vaccine. Still, there’s a niggling little thought that thinks we might be better off, immunologically, if the Covid-19 vaccine informs our immune systems well enough that we’re only mildly ill rather than not ill at all.

3 Likes

So by the time I get home I’ll have spent 3 weeks being around a ton of people (compared to being almost 100% isolated for 6 months in our house only going out for groceries, pharmacy etc). 2 hotels.
We went from Maryland to middle GA driving through North Carolina etc. I’ve been checking the % positive and if I’m reading it right GA hasn’t gotten close to 10% since I’ve been here; it hovers around 5 or 6. What should we do to stay safe when we get home? Do my husband and I need to wear masks around our 3 kids for 2 weeks? We’ve talked about it but that sounds almost impossible.
My DD8 will hang all over me the moment she sees me and I don’t really want to tell her no. They’ve stayed with relatives this whole time, being fairly isolated but they did go out for walks etc. Just like we do at home. Relatives work from home but do limited activities. This is assuming no symptoms.

I am not one of this thread’s experts but I’d think that if you have been wearing masks, hand washing, etc, haven’t been exposed to the best of your knowledge, and have no symptoms that you would be ok around the kids.

1 Like

Someone we know went out of state. When he didn’t answer his home phone during the quarantine period they sent state troopers. They waited outside his home until he returned and gave him a summons. They may not have the manpower to do that in every case, but it happens enough for the person involved to complain to everyone they know getting the word out that the state means business.

1 Like

When was this?

When friends came to visit in June, they said that as they disembarked the plate, there were people stationed there to stop them and talk to them and take their information, and I told him to download an app, etc.

On Wednesday, as we were chatting with a Spanish tutor, I asked her about her trip in August. She said as they disembarked the plane, there was no one greeting people, nor were they at any time giving instructions.

My coworker, who has traveled at least six times that I know of, I have not asked anything too specific. But as we were chatting the other day, she said she just gave a fake name. She said she saw that no one was asking for ID. Her last trip was the beginning of October. If I see her tomorrow I’m going to ask her more questions.

And I wonder how do they even begin to handle people driving into the state?

2 Likes

From what I’ve been reading, the first 5 days after symptoms are the most infectious.

If I were coming home in your situation, I’d ask that my kids stay with the relatives for another 3 days. Assuming it’s a 2 day drive home. Not optimal, for sure.

Second option, wear masks for at least 3 days, around your kids, but don’t worry about distancing. It’s the respiration that will be contagious. With a properly fitting and worn mask, she could sit on your lap.

If you were around sensible people, taking the usual precautions, you may not have encountered any contagion. Tho many unsensible folk were in the region.

Just my opinion, but it’s what I’d do.

This was just last week. It wouldn’t surprise me if the response was regional, with it being more strict on the island and in the city.

That’s incredible.
It sounds like even being registered here is uncommon anymore.

I ditto @janamelia.

How many separate people will you actually have been in “close contact” with?

The “middle of the road” definition of that seems to be at least 15 min within 6’ without a mask. Slightly more conservative would be a further distance or would include with a mask, especially for prolonged (multi hour) periods (example would be flying).

Those are the exposures you really want to avoid.

If you are able to avoid close contact situations and your household is all “normal risk”, I personally wouldn’t worry about it. If you were in close contact situations and anyone is “vulnerable”, then I would wait a minimum of 5 days before being in close contact with them or the full 14 if anyone is “high risk”.

Probably something to consider is evaluating how you would handle it emotionally if anything went truly sideways. Would you be forever beating yourself up that you took the slightest risk? Or would you be consoled that you took very reasonable precautions? (I’m in the latter camp, personally.)

1 Like

I tend to agree with you here for sure. I’m willing to do whatever it takes so my kid can go to actual school, even if it means not going out to eat, doing unnecessary shopping trips, keeping my “pod” of friends at a low level and skipping other activities. Even though my gym is open, I’m choosing to do the online classes because I don’t want to risk exposure/outbreaks that may shut schools down. I wish more would do this.

5 Likes