Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

@BoilerMomPharmD Thanks for the link! Going to send it to my son, who has 7 year old twins and is really struggling with the right thing to do.

3 Likes

:flushed:
All good?

Yes it’s a false positive. I test positive on the generic screen but the confirmatory tests are all negative. But they can’t use the blood. Told me to try again in a year.

4 Likes

The last quote in the article: putting our children’s needs first. I’m not talking about the mask situation, as it has helped in schools. I do think that throughout this pandemic, children were a very low priority. I heard some comments about them being germ factories (my kids were better at masks than my parents were, and still are). I’ve heard that kids are resilient. True to a point, but working with under 3 year olds, our referrals have sky rocketed for speech, behavior, and social concerns, as well as red flags for autism. Mental health for kids has been pushed to the side in a lot of cases. In our area, there are not a lot of activities for young children to see other young children. I have parents asking about outdoor activities and small playgroups. There really is not much other than the play ground or daycares. Our libraries are still completely virtual for the local summer reading program (really? It’s summer. You can’t do some outside activities?).

We really do need to start focusing on kids. Adults have the opportunity to get vaccinated. It’s time to start looking at how we can give more opportunities for kids to interact and gain some of the skills they missed this past year.

10 Likes

I can’t heart this enough.

4 Likes

Thanks for highlighting this article. I’ve found her prior posts super interesting, balanced, and helpful, but haven’t had time to keep up with all my usual Covid info sources while simultaneously freaking out about our trip (now underway…crossed into Florida already)!

That the risk of developing MIS-C is less than 1 in 1,000 actually gives me pause. I know there is a genetic predisposition to having Kawasaki disease. I haven’t seen anything data-based yet (just opinion) on whether that same genetic predisposition would make one more prone to MIS-C.

One of my twins had Kawasaki disease at age 3. Odds of getting Kawasaki are 1 in 10,000. Knowing that, suddenly, 1 in 1,000 doesn’t seem reassuring to me, especially if there could be a genetic disposition common to both. And it would apply to both twins since they are identical. But I don’t know if they have the genetic predisposition or if it was just a fluke thing.

I can’t tell y’all how scary Kawasaki was. I watched him go into shock twice while in the hospital in the 2 days before they got the correct diagnosis. Then there were 18 months of follow up pediatric cardiologist visits to confirm there was no heart damage.

DH is in the “lightning doesn’t strike twice” camp. He would probably go back to (mostly) normal but he is very respectful of my concerns. I waffle because of the genetic aspect. They could be at entirely normal risk and I’m being overly cautious. Or not.

4 Likes

I don’t post often, but was nervous about traveling in May for reasons related to kid safety and COVID and you were the very first person to reply to my very first post. So just dropping in to wish you the BEST trip!!! I know the anxiety everyone has about keeping their kids safe and this thread has been so useful, even for us lurkers.

6 Likes

Honestly, I don’t know I would do given his medical history. I am a born worrier, myself.

2 Likes

That’s one of my gripes. I’d like to see more outside-the-box thinking and effort on how to be very low risk AND mitigate some of these other issues. This pressing need to “get back to normal” that some people have just defies logic to me. If we can make things significantly better in these concern areas and improve quality of life, with very low risk, that seems more prudent than pretending things are normal. Because they aren’t yet. The spread rate among unvaccinated people is still what it was around November.

And new hospitalizations in 0-17s seem to have hit a plateau, despite 16-17s being eligible for vaccination for awhile now. I’m hoping that means we aren’t seeing the impacts of 12-15s being vaccinated yet.

3 Likes

It’s been about 2 weeks since the 12-15 year olds could be vaccinated, so none of them have gotten the second vaccine yet. I think you’ll probably see the effect from that in a few weeks.

There is actually a huge decline in our school district having cases in the last month. But they still have their mask mandate in effect, even for vaccinated individuals. But I think that may be partially due to school ending on the 4th. Might as well stick with the status quo.

2 Likes

This memorial weekend is going to be the real test of how things are doing, whether we see bumps in everything like we did following Memorial weekend last year, 4th of July, winter holidays, the big freeze, and spring break this year. Next 4 weeks will be interesting.

3 Likes

Isn’t covid hampered by warm humid air? If so, Florida in the summer would be a good bet. I don’t know how that is balanced w/ all the ppl taking cover indoors w/ AC though?

1 Like

We still have masks for all and we are down to under 10 cases in school!

We were able to vaccinate 300 middle school students this week. That is about 1/4 of the school. To avoid the questions: with parent permission and translators supported a number of families so they knew exactly what they were signing. The second shots are scheduled before school ends- and some of the parents came and were vaccinated too.

15 Likes

Thanks for stepping up for something that is clearly not really your job as an educator! :heart:

3 Likes

I hope more schools offer the vaccine as it becomes more accessible to kids. Our school district does a flu vaccine clinic every year (parents have to sign for permission). I’m sure it helps increase the number of vaccinated kids.

3 Likes

Yes, and our families don’t fear us the way they fear many agencies.

5 Likes

You Should Be Giving Your Kids the Vaccine - The Atlantic

get past the title

3 Likes

I got great news yesterday: a concert I bought tickets to a year ago, for late August, has been postponed to the same time 2022. Typically I would have been upset, but this let me breathe a huge sigh of relief b/c although I’m definitely ready to go to the beach and the park etc. I am NOT ready to spend several hours in a stadium with tens of thousands of people packed in. So, now I have 3 activities that were 2020, then 2021, and now 2022: 2 concerts and an Alaskan cruise. I feel very confident that I’ll get to do them in 2022, and not unhappy that they aren’t occurring now; the cruise would have departed a few weeks from now.

7 Likes

I am waiting on a determination on a stadium concert for August too. I do hope it is pushed to 2022. I am ready to do a lot of things getting back to normal (we are even doing Disney in July), but not sure about a crowded concert. I also have an Alaskan cruise that was pushed to next year also!!!

3 Likes

That is great. All our friends with 12-15 y/o’s have brought their kids in for 1st doses. I have heard from friends that there is peer pressure in the schools around here to get vaccinated.

6 Likes