Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

How is your DS? Did he test positive too?

1 Like

We didn’t test him because he wasn’t exposed. Though if we thought we really had it, we would have done. He doesn’t have any symptoms so far and we probably won’t test him if he develops them at this time because we’re in quarantine anyway, we’d just assume he has it and isolate for longer.

4 Likes

I hope he remains symptom free

3 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Update on our school arrangements @PrincipalTinker and anyone interested. I’m on the eastern end of Long Island. Each school district (town) is doing their own thing. We have three schools, k-4, 5-8, 9-12. k-6 are on campus FT. 7-12 follow an alternating day schedule with everyone remote on Mondays. Its been this way since 4 weeks after school started in Sept. we received notice yesterday that 7-12 will be returning to campus on Mondays in an alternating 2 week schedule. So students that currently are on campus on Tuesday and Thursday will be on campus the 1st and 2nd Monday of each month, with the Wednesday, Friday students on campus the 3rd and 4th Monday. When the students are remote, they log into their classrooms live so instruction is not interrupted or repeated. I can DM our school dashboard of positive cases to anyone that’s interested.

3 Likes

Regarding masks, just sharing some interesting links I came across while reading up on this subject:

1. A well-done video about how N95 / KN95 / KF94s work better - it’s not so much about filtering, than the electrostatic charge (“think spider web vs. sieve”):

(Credit: Reddit - Dive into anything - where there are links to other informative videos as well)

1. Aaron Collins’ YouTube channel - he’s “a mechanical engineer specializing in aerosol science”, who tests all sorts of masks and shares his findings: Aaron Collins - YouTube

2. And to tie this post back to Disney :slight_smile: , someone shared on Reddit a sign they saw in Trader Joes:

(ETA - fixed links)

12 Likes

Thanks! We have been full time for all students k-2 (almost double the classrooms to keep below 14). As I mentioned before, even with only these grades we have over 50 positive cases (students in school) and classes quarantined. In February we are bringing all of the other grades back:one week in/one week live streaming into classes from home.

I realized this morning that schools here are reporting, at least locally, the numbers provided by the city/town board of health. Since almost all of our staff live outside of the city/town, they are not being reported. In a large district in states that have more consolidated school departments, it might not be data that is lost. It is here.

1 Like

Since we’re getting shot #1 tomorrow, I printed our consent forms - emailed by the county health dept - and read through the 6 or so pages of information we should know.

Interestingly, one paragraph said the vaccine was approved by emergency FDA approval for individuals age 16 and older.

I had the idea the approval was 18 and older.

1 Like

Depends on which one. Moderna is 18+ Pfizer is 16.

2 Likes

Ah. We’re getting Pfizer.

Rendering their report on staff cases meaningless at best (but more likely misleading). The virus itself is bad enough, the poor/misleading reporting is maddening.

1 Like

Thought this would be relevant, and from my home state. I’ll say upfront, and I’ve stated before, that I feel strongly about reasonable risk being taken by school staffs in order for schools to operate in person, so this could be considered a form of confirmation bias as I’m not seeking out opposing information at the same rate. The study, published by CDC, used rural schools and can’t be extrapolated to every situation, but Wood County’s population density (where the study was done) is about the same as that of the US as a whole, for reference.

1 Like

Does anyone have a good feel at what point an antibody test will come back positive? @Pod @BoilerMomPharmD @Jsanta26 maybe?

Household update…

DH is at the 10 Day mark since symptom onset and recovering well, so we’re letting him out of the bedroom where he’s been isolating. Still lots of fatigue and gets hoarse if he talks too much. He has no doubt it was a true positive now. He hadn’t realized his sense of taste was diminished until it came back and he could barely brush his teeth today the toothpaste tasted so strong.

DD19 got the sniffles late Sunday and tested positive on a rapid test today. Mostly just sniffles and some fatigue. She could have easily dismissed it as allergies if we didn’t know DH was positive. We put her in isolation on Monday, so that restarted the 10 Day counter for household quarantine (except DH should be ok to fetch takeout and groceries).

Her BF now has sniffles so we’ll get him a rapid test scheduled because it will be helpful to have it documented properly for the next steps of his National Guard onboarding that keep getting deferred. Isolating him starting today.

We think the odds are pretty high that either I had a false negative -or- I was past the point of testing positive. I’ll precaution like I haven’t had it though until we get data otherwise.

We also think the odds are high that it was DS16 that brought it home asymptomaticly from soccer, since that was definitely our biggest exposure point. We are thinking we should get him an antibody test because if so, he could resume soccer and go back to on campus schooling the next grading period. But we weren’t sure how long it takes antibodies to show up?

3 Likes

CDC says commonly 1-3 weeks after symptom onset (if there are symptoms).

1 Like

I agree that there is very little spread in schools. We generally have 50 or more cases in our building a week and we only suspect 4 cases where student to student, staff to student, or student to student spread occurred. It is the daily positive cases and the quarantines that are stressing us to our limits.

4 Likes

Glad to hear your DH is recovering well. The fatigue was the biggest thing for me too and outlasted any other symptoms, but eventually went away.

1 Like

My heart breaks for Brazil. :broken_heart: So much for thinking they might have herd immunity…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/01/27/coronavirus-brazil-variant-manaus/

ETA: This link let me around the pay wall…
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/01/27/coronavirus-brazil-variant-manaus/%3FoutputType=amp

1 Like

I would wait 3 weeks after suspected infection for best results.

2 Likes

I’m on the other side of you on this issue, but I get that there are pros/cons on both sides.

The below study published on the CDC website shows much higher rates of infection in counties where colleges and universities had in-person learning and much lower rates in counties where the colleges and universities had remote learning. I understand that there may be differences when discussing primary schools, but 'I still come out on the side that remote learning for primary schools should be maximized now to the extent reasonable feasible.

3 Likes

It’s usually around day 14 that IgG comes back positive when we did correlations for our assay.

1 Like