Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

Oh, no doubt. We have a lot of “Hurricane Harvey babies” in Houston! They’re actually talking about how the schools are going to need to prepare for the one year bump when they get to school age.

1 Like

:rofl:

Well, apparently it’s just the opposite. I think we’re having a baby bust, due to the stress of it all.

Plus, who wants to get snuggly with masks on? Canada's top doctor urges mask wearing during sex, no kissing

3 Likes

Indeed very hard. I don’t think it is feasible for a person to be actually able to make these highly complex decisions taking everything into account. It takes a whole team of trained experts. You have to be able to trust something.

One thing that stresses me out here in Munich is that employees of restaurants/shops are never wearing higher quality PPE (ffp2s + face shields would be my ideal). Whichever exposure they are getting is not a choice freely made, and they will end up suffering the consequences of other’s decisions without better PPE.

4 Likes

The official NYC safe pandemic sex guide is extremely specific

2 Likes

I will stand down and not make inappropriate cosplay mask comments. :joy:

But, seriously(?), I’m glad I’m not in the dating scene. Sneaking in that first kiss must be infinitely more complicated!

5 Likes

All this has happened before There is a lot of innuendo over here if you need it LOL Thanks to @Randall1028’s achievements.

1 Like

It’s very hard on my daughter right now. She’s in a new town and finding it very hard to make friends, let alone date. And to make matters worse, was bridesmaid at 2 weddings and has one more to go (whenever it happens- it’s been postponed due to COVID). When you’re 26 a few months is like a lifetime. She thinks she’s going to end up a lonely cat lady!

The baby bust is so worrisome the Brookings Institution actually wrote an analysis on it:

https://www.brookings.edu/research/half-a-million-fewer-children-the-coming-covid-baby-bust/

4 Likes

Of course! But as time goes by, that hindsight becomes possible. That’s where the peer-reviewed studies come in. Questioning the utility of what was done (or is being done) doesn’t mean it shouldn’t have happened. It means maybe we won’t do it next time, or we’ll do it differently.

Edit: Except the policy that some authorities had regarding returning COVID patients to their nursing homes. I will go out on a limb and say that I think that never should have happened. As I’ve said before, it’s hard to be in charge in these situations, and I would never want to be that person. But, to me, that was a foreseeable mistake.

3 Likes

This is etched my mind forever.
I barely worked during March and April. Census was so low. BUT I was there on a rare weekday and remember a group of social workers and case managers on my unit conversing about this and just in awe and disbelief that this was what was directed. The social worker for my unit is a retired Marine in his late 50’s and anguish was all over his face. We had empty beds galore and there we were sending them back. Totally should have been regional. Totally. There could have been a threshold to keeping them. “They can stay in the hospital until 50% bed capacity is reached” or something.

5 Likes

This makes me sad.

1 Like

Well, here is some good news for you:

7 Likes

100/100,000 new positive tests per day on a 14 day average is high. I think in-person school in that circumstance is a very bad idea.

10 or less per 100,000 (New York standard) seems reasonable.

1 Like

To be fair, it’s hybrid for less than 100/100,000 for two weeks straight (meaning by the time the two weeks have passed, it’s generally far lower than that). Hybrid is two days a week with half size classes. We only return to full in person learning under 10/100,000 for two consecutive weeks.

2020 Bingo card check…jumping worms invade Minnesota…

3 Likes

We are pretty warm here in central CA (not as warm as AZ, but still very warm!), but AZ accommodates for it far better (i.e., all the parks have some type of water feature, gas stations have misters, you can have dark tinted windows on you car, etc). Not so much here even though we have some seriously hot summers.

1 Like

Those are good points! We are built for heat here.

What??? This is a thing?!? Why doesn’t Houston have these? Or is it only dry-heat compatible???

@Jeff_AZ

1 Like

Most of the gas stations I go to don’t have misters. But most restaurants with patio seating do. And outdoor shopping centers. It’s a life saver.

1 Like

That is new cases or active cases? As I posted, if we average 8 new cases over 14 days per 100k we are remote (unless the data shows it is an outbreak in an isolated location- a closed facility is the example). We are in hybrid- 4-7 daily new cases over the last 14 days. We are currently averaging 36 new cases over 14 days. That is hybrid with discussions about remote.

100 scares me , but I suspect it is measuring something different?

2 Likes

Just got to work. A coworker just returned from FL. In NY FL is on our “must quarantine list.” She called the employee health to find out about getting her test (health care workers have been directed they don’t have to quarantine; they just need a test and can work as long as they are symptom free as they wait for results). She was told to set it up from county health department. She called them and they told her per the CDC it isn’t necessary and they sent her a letter. Her DH also works for our health system.

So much is arbitrary. It makes my head spin to try to keep up with it all.

Meanwhile - DH has to eat lunch in his van. :thinking::woman_facepalming: