Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

Thats pretty cool! Apparently they are popping up all over Wales.

We stayed at 2 Comfort Inns and both still had free breakfast. One (Colorado) had an employee plating the food. The other (Texas) actually had the self serve buffet open. It surprised us, but the hotel was pretty low occupancy, so we used it (no one else was even in the room). Both had removed all tables from the area so you ate in your room.

We also stayed at a Drury Inn (Texas). They still offered both free breakfast and evening meal, plus adult beverages. They were employee plated (except beverages and single serve condiments). Since it was a hurricane evacuation, the hotel was sold out. There were social distancing marks for the line in the service and dining area (furniture removed), but the line extended into the hall where there were no marks so people were being lax on distancing and not all masks were being properly worn. We skipped meals if the line was much into the hall. Free wasn’t worth it. They did have the lounge area open for eating and we avoided that entirely.

1 Like

Must be a Missouri thing then? This Comfort Inn was so apologetic at no breakfast.

eta: the AR Hilton property had a plastic sign on the table. When cleaned, it was turned to the green side. When done with breakfast, guests were to turn to the red side.
We noted that the signs were not particularly clean, tho the table was . . . :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and they had free bagged breakfasts that you could grab.

2 Likes

The whole reason I stay in hotels is free breakfast! Oh the humanity!

4 Likes

I was just thinking we haven’t heard from you in awhile last night.

I’m really so sorry for your lost! You have sacrificed so much the last 6 months to keep your family healthy for your husband’s surgery and now he had to cancel! Such big burdens you have been carrying…

We drove nearly 500 miles in June and will make the same drive tomorrow. We will again stay in hotels.

June was the first time we travelled during the pandemic and we were nervous. I wrote in detail about our experiences and things we did to make us feel more at ease: Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel? - #7598 by stlouie.

Last time, the restaurants in CA’s Central Valley did not have their dining rooms open at all. They all did drive through. We had to go to the restrooms at gas stations but we only stopped once in 9 hours to use the restroom.

I would say that major chains (Target, Costco, etc.) require masks and their restrooms are fairly clean and have plexi glass between hand washing stations. Sit in the parking lot to people watch before you go in.

We will drive roundtrip through the Central Valley tomorrow, which is very rural and iffy in terms of mask compliance last time but it is the shorter route. We will again stay in hotels (Homewood Suites and the Embassy Suites) and I’m thinking I would still wipe down the room with a bleach solution. Many restaurants in Southern CA are open for outdoor and indoor sit down dining, We probably won’t do indoor dining. All restaurants do take out. You can either call in or order on line. Some will take your credit card over the phone, too. The restaurant staff all wore masks and gloves. To help you feel more comfortable, you might consider wearing disposable gloves.

Take care of yourself and family with needed precautions to keep your risk low. You’ll need the energy. Prayers!

3 Likes

We are homeschoolers who play soccer. The “franchise” we are with has three modified teams, a girls varsity, and a boys varsity this year. (Changes every year.). We play other homeschool teams, as well as smaller schools (school for the deaf, Christian schools, etc.) some of whom aren’t playing this year.

Well. We are temporarily (?) on hold. One of our modified coaches tested positive for the virus. Had some symptoms and was tested. We had to cancel yesterday’s practices and games while we waited for results and now have Thursday’s games and practices on hold til we receive guidance from county health dept. (Our home field is actually in a different county than the one that I work in which told my nurse coworker that she didn’t need to test after travel.)

One one hand, it will devastate my girls I’d they can’t finish the season. On the other hand I am grateful they got to play as long as they did. I don’t know if they will just have players from that team watch for symptoms or what. It seems like colleges are just doing that.

4 Likes

In June, the hotels still provided breakfast and drinks. But they were brown bagged and not hot breakfasts. The only hot item was coffee, which they served you!

I’m wondering if the Embassy will serve a hot breakfast this time or just a brown bag. It was so cheap to stay. We love their made to order omelettes! This will be the first time we will be staying at a Homewood Suites. They have kitchenettes!

As long as the price reflects it, I guess that’s ok.
But I’ve had some Embassy suites breakfasts over the years, and missing that would make me sad. :wink:

2 Likes

We would be very sad also to miss two Embassy breakfasts, even with the very cheap price, $69/night. A brown bag, while still included food, will not be the same!

1 Like

Yeah, there was no price change for our hotel.

1 Like

If it is anything like our schools, they will just quarantine the teams that had contact, which includes cancelling games if needed. My son is also playing soccer and so far there have been no positive tests.

We were just at an Embassy in Arkansas. They were not using the omelette station ( :confused: ) but did have the hot breakfast. (Note: that’s how the sign had omelet spelled).

Last month, the Doubletree (both Hilton properties) did offer the omelet station. Yu-um.

2 Likes

Thank you for the report. We will see what we get!

1 Like

I wonder in what time frame the kids would have had to have been exposed… Like, if he tested positive on Monday, how many days before that was exposure a concern and does quarantine start from that date?

I can only imagine that a lot of parents will have spectacular reactions to that suggestion.
To Be Continued…

(I don’t have a modified player this year.) Phew.

2 Likes

I took my daughter to a hotel-which-shall-not-be-named (but a chain that everyone has heard of) for a mama-daughter date. There was no breakfast, no swimming pool, no notice of these things on their website (certain amenities may not be available due to Covid-19), and no price break. The man who checked us in said that if we were that concerned we should have called. They also wouldn’t allow people who reside within 50 miles stay there (also not on the website). It was a good thing my driver’s license is from hundreds of miles away or we would have been turned away after pre-paying. I was a little bit livid.

4 Likes

Are you kidding me?
Oh - there would be a “May I please talk to the manager?” moment.
I am humble person, until you mess with my ROI and vacation. :wink:

I think a lot of places are actually taking advantage of the virus and choosing not to offer things. Pools and restaurants are open in enough places.
L.I.V.I.D.

1 Like

I know, right? I was so upset it made it hard for me to just enjoy the time. I knew if I could change my attitude then my daughter would be ok. But that if I was a grump it would also make her grumpy. Argh.

2 Likes

Not cool. :rage:

2 Likes

I may have posted this one already? More details, anyway. Talk about unexpected problems to have…so 2020…

Oh, and University of Houston football just had their FIFTH potential season opener opponent cancel due to a Covid outbreak. Supposedly our guys have been being really careful to stay Covid-free so it’s very disappointing.

4 Likes