Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

DD22 now makes her home in San Diego County. We went to help her move over the weekend. Everything is open in San Diego County despite its hospitalization numbers being 17x higher than my home county and its ICU number being 13x higher than my home county. San Diego County’s population is only a bit over 2x my home county’s population. We have not opened up restaurants for dining, gyms, or salons in my home county. Actually, my county is the last of the Bay Area counties holding out on reopening. Doesn’t matter. People just go over a county to do what they want to do.

I went to buy her some groceries (just milk and muffins we were sharing). I sat in the car looking longingly at the salon next door to the grocery store that was open with a few customers. I haven’t had a hair cut since mid-February. My pony tail is getting longer. I sighed and left. :astonished:

How can two county health departments be so different? No wonder we are having such a hard time taking COVID-19 seriously.

I may write a “trip report” on traveling during this pandemic later.

4 Likes

A major sticking point. A standalone good quality large room size HEPA filter is hundreds of dollars.

2 Likes

Wow…I had to read that twice for it to sink in.

Either they are paying your Janitors way too much or the other option, which to me is the most likely…they are not paying the teachers enough!

3 Likes

I know a lot of states have climate controlled buildings. In the NE most schools do not have air conditioning. A majority or our schools have heating systems in the rooms that are the length of the room. In theory they bring in air from the outside. When school re-opens that air most likely will be between 75-90 degrees (outside). Any windows that open, open inches. Air quality is an issue and I am sure staff will express concerns.

2 Likes

It appears that bringing in air from outside more frequently will help the situation. On Friday, we were told the building manager ordered more frequent intake of outside air during the day, 12x vs 6x. This increases the AC/heating costs. It will be changing the primary and secondary filters more frequently.

I work in a state owned, 22 story building. While the majority of the staff are telecommuting, the building is still open. It houses disability, franchise tax board, and other offices that are essential. I doubt it can afford HEPA filters. It can’t even get parts to fix the front door to open automatically. However, we have yet to have a case of COVID-19 associated with our building.

5 Likes

Way to hot for kids to be able to focus!

1 Like

:open_mouth: That is terrible!

2 Likes

CA has ordered a number of counties to close bars, if it doesn’t serve food. That leaves a loop hole…

Other counties have slowed the reopening.

Reopening makes people feel like life is returning to normal. Yes, not as many people are dying compared to April but the rising number of hospitalization is disturbing.

3 Likes

Their reasoning is then they do not have to provide benefits for janitors and, therefore, paying some teachers extra who choose to take on janitorial duties is more cost effective overall. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I went to high school in upstate NY - a number of decades ago. Classrooms in June were a misery. Could be why I slept through so many English classes.

Yup

1 Like

Yup, one of our 4 schools has air conditioning in town.

1 Like

We now have a son stuck overseas :frowning: and it’s clear the Shades of Green will not be opening anytime soon.

3 Likes

Where areyou from?

@PrincipalTinker I was going to DM you, but I thought it proper to say this publically.
I’m very afraid it came across as though I was arguing with you.
I think we were talking about different things and I apologize if I was insensitive.
I believe the people closest to the kids care deeply.
Words like distance learning and online instruction and homeschool all mean different things at different times. My thoughts today were that education departments aren’t always supportive of school-at-home models. I’m sorry if my words were poorly developed.
I think the world of you and the sacrifices you’ve made for kids and families this year.

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. My BIL works with the military in Somalia and Kenya. He left Somalia for Kenya back in March when this all started, and has been stuck there outside of Nairobi ever since. He is basically living at a real life AKL, on a private reserve with a cook and such (and a few other guests plus the family that owns it)…but he would really like to come home to the US. He has had flight after flight cancelled due to lockdowns there. I hope your son will be able to come home soon!

3 Likes

I really have no idea how schools are going to handle sick kids. You know a good portion of children are going to get a cold the first few weeks of school. What then? keep them out for two weeks? quarantine the class?
I can’t even begin to figure out how you are going to deal with this. I’m sorry!

3 Likes

I went to high school in Dutchess County - Village of Millbrook.

My dad worked for IBM; we moved a bit. :sunglasses:

Sorry to here your BIL is stuck overseas too. Yes, DIL would love him to return home as scheduled, but it’s not looking promising. Part of me thinks he’s actually safer there than back in the states right now.

3 Likes

My son’s school is over 100 years old - not even a joke. Built by the Roebling family to educate the children of the workers at the Roebling steel mill that made the cables for the Brooklyn bridge. It’s a massive sprawling neo gothic building that has no air conditioning and a steam heat boiler that’s almost as old as the school.

It is always sweltering in there, even in the dead of winter. His classroom has air-conditioning, but only because it’s a room for medically challenged kids. The air quality is terrible.

1 Like