Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

We plan on staying clear of HS for now.
I wonder how long it will be before they bring FPP’s back.

Yes I think the lack of FPP when you are used to having 3 or 6 pre planned makes it feel busier than it truly is. For people who don’t know how to maximize FPP usage, these lines probably feel very short. I don’t feel like we are very efficient today.

2 Likes

Check out some of the other threads here at this forum. There are at two trip reports from people just back. @jeremy_dmiller is the only one I can think of right now. Good info for you as he has 2 kids.

5 Likes

How timely! Thank you for sharing. That is exactly how I feel today.

FYI, See quote from @darkmite2 from this thread:

1 Like

Just gt back from a trip last week with a 7 and 9 yr old. Personally, I can’t tell you what to do, it is a very personal decision. However, I can share with you my thoughts. We came from Ohio, flew, and I don’t regret it for a minute. Once in a life time trip to experience the parks like that. Yubstated masks are not a problem, so your good there. As far as your kids not keeping distance, I think your good. My son is clueless usually, but adapted quickly and the lines kinda became a game with him. From one spot to the next… WDW really does a nice job mapping it out and making it simple.

We have not had a more relaxing or leisurely trip to Disney than last week. My opinion is go for it, but only if you can accept the risk your taking and not worry all week about it.

Good luck and if you go, let us know how it goes!

3 Likes

I’ve seen this going around but didn’t look at it until now. It is exactly what distance learning looked like for my older kids! Exactly! The same computer program with the same assignment structure and deadlines at 10 pm etc. They also both say in their rooms most of the day doing school b/c I’m downstairs with the youngest working with her by myself. The older kids don’t want to be around the lounder younger one while doing their work.

1 Like

I appreciate the shout-out! While I do feel very confident in what I said - I’m just a fan like everyone else, so I don’t have true “insider” info. I’ve just consumed so much theme park related content over the years, especially about FPP, that this is a general consensus from a lot of sources.

1 Like

I have faith in your judgement! :wink:

1 Like

WOW… this video was very powerful, so emotional!!! This is exactly how my DD11 & I feel. :disappointed_relieved: As of now my kids will be going back, I hope are numbers don’t go up too much.

1 Like

Friends of ours moved from New York to Oregon seven years ago. Today the dad and the 16-year-old daughter are here for a visit. They said their flight yesterday from Oregon to North Carolina was at 100% capacity. From North Carolina to New York was more like 50%. They had to complete paperwork when they got off the plane in New York and the dad had to put an app on his phone. He now is going phoneless while here…

1 Like

Leaving the phone at the hotel?

Which airline?

Oh, my!

I don’t know about there, bute when people cross our border and are required to quarantine, there were people also phoning the phone for just that reason. If the phone wasn’t being answered, they got in trouble. Make sure he has a good excuse for not answering his phone.

OR is not on the list for quarantine. I should have said that. He’s appalled that he was asked to download the app. It’s tracing just to trace.

@stlouie I will ask which airline

@Pod He’s staying with his mom so phone stays at her house. No quarantine for OR.

3 Likes

More of the same, but still a recommended read:

4 Likes

Thanks for posting this, I have a subscription and read it a day or so ago. I thought it was interesting, but reflective of how we are just meandering through one solution to the next… or not…

1 Like

Thanks for this. I have shared it with my colleague in charge of the facilities part of our reopening plan.

1 Like

This past week we presented our proposal for the fall. I generally don’t post details that can identify me (a liner has actually impacted my personal life in the past) but I feel like you have all shaped my recommendations over the last few months.

For those that do not know, when I first signed up for Touring Plans I was a principal. I am now an assistant superintendent. I oversee “a little of this, a little of that” but mainly teaching and learning.

Massachusetts asked us to plan full return, 3ft spacing, but 6 ft. If possible.

Our approved plan:

Hybrid model: one week in school, one week remote; kindergarten every day half day k (for years we have had full-day); all special education students that receive services for 60% or more of their day will be in every day; all English Learners that have the lowest English proficiency will be in every day; all 1st and 2nd graders will be in every day; all 10th graders and 11th graders not taking AP courses will be in every day (state high stake test that passing is linked to a diploma

All class will average between 11-14 students and maintain masks all day plus 6ft.

Every student in the district will get a free breakfast and a free lunch. We are continuing to offer satellite meal distribution in the fall. Also, we are still working on setting up child care program that might allow us to use some grant money for some families (not all).

The work is not done and all of a sudden our COVID rate is rising. There is tremendous pressure building in the state for all remote. That means I will transition my planning on how I will get some of my families the technology and support to access the instruction we will be planning. We have spent months writing grants for iPads, Chromebooks, and mobile hotspots.

My state is also requiring us to provide a 100% remote option for all families. All remote instruction comes with new rules from the state: daily attendance and grading aligned to in person.

Please keep on sharing because the next 6 weeks will mostly see many revisions to our plans! Thank you for all the articles, plans and ideas! Each of you have in one way or another have touched the lives of 5000 children.

14 Likes