Convince me - spontaneous trip

I think we have decided to not go- DH and I are both very analytical people and rarely jump into anything. He just saw the videos and reports of low crowds and he desperately needs a break from reality (I think we all do at this point.)

There were lots of reasons that we could go - but they were outweighed by the reasons we shouldn’t go. Namely the increase in cases seen in FL the last few days.

*sigh *a few days in the Disney bubble would have been nice.
But we will go again! for a longer trip in the future, that will likely have larger crowds but we’ve navigate the crowds before and we can do it again.

Thanks for debating this with me. I appreciate you all and I can’t tell you how much enjoyment I get reading all of your posts.

2 Likes

You’re on the wrong website for that. We’re enablers here. You’re a junkie and we’re pushers.

5 Likes

This is true!
And I love this forum for specifically that reason. I never would have taken my trip in May’18 when i was 6 months pregnant if it wasn’t for this group telling me I should go.
And it was a fantastic trip.
The true tipping point this time was the school - they said there was not a policy in place right now but they could not confirm they would not implement one in the next two weeks. It’s that kind of uncertainty that’s preventing the trip. Plus the rising numbers in FL don’t help (no matter if they’re skewed, no matter if the Disney bubble is safe, whatever - those are still some crazy numbers).

Should your trip plans change, keep in mind nothing breaks the ice quite like Disney souvenirs.

Pencils or erasers come to mind.

Being in class on day 1 knowing one other kid vs 3 or 4 days late with Disney goodies?

My sister’s granddaughter is shy, didn’t know anyone at all in her kindergarten class. Having a birthday party at school during the second week - instant friends. And all my niece brought was one of those giant cookies!

3 Likes

I love the idea of Disney goodies for the class - how cute!
According to the guidelines the school has already released - no in-class parties this year. So no cookies- but if we did go I could do pencils or erasers for sure. or STICKERS which are like gold apparently.

1 Like

Oh yes. Stickers are great.

Sometimes not so easy to find at WDW.

But then, kids just love getting stuff.

I never realized how much a minefield parties can be until our youngest grandchild had a classmate who had diabetes. No more cupcakes.

1 Like

If you want to go I would, but I’d keep DS out of school during until 14 days has passed

5 Likes

I appreciate this, and I’m not really willing to do that, which is why we have decided not to go.

I mean :woman_shrugging:

So - School called back and said they are giving us the green light to go and he can attend school (12 days after we get back) as long as he doesn’t have a fever…
Any advice? Apparently I’m driving to WDW tomorrow.

2 Likes

Woahhhh! Did you get park days and a hotel?

My TA is on it now (my sister is my TA… she’ll take care of me). The only park that’s not available is HS, which is a bummer, but we were there in Sept during all the early hours so we’re ok if we miss HS this time.
I’m making a packing list while I’m on webex meetings for work. :expressionless:

1 Like

My advice - relax and have fun!

You’ll be driving. Disney has all the protocols.

12 days is plenty of time before school starts for symptoms to appear.

Oh, and look for stickers. Or pencils.

2 Likes

Yes! Stickers or pencils are a must! I’m actually really excited for this trip - it will be like no other.

2 Likes

Have fun! I so want to do what you are doing right now! My rate limiting factor is taking time off from work last minute…but I’d be lying if I didn’t admit to browsing through all the confirmed DVC reservations, I’ve got credits to burn after all…

2 Likes

This one was all on DH - he swears he’s not obsessed with Disney and he didn’t grow up with it like I did but 3 of our last 4 trips have been his idea…
He just said “I want one of those masks with the mickey face”
:smile:

1 Like

I’ve been a long time user of Touring Plans, but just checked out the forums for the first time yesterday, and this was one of the first posts I saw. Which is funny, because we are in almost the same situation as you - 2 kids, one is 5, one is 1.5, we live 12 hours away and would drive, and we’re originally going this April.

We’re not very spontaneous people but very much need something right about now, and are seriously considering going on a last minute trip. Our two biggest hang-ups are my nieces birthday next weekend that we were hoping to do a picnic for, and our normal dog watcher isn’t able to watch them. And of course the rising cases, especially if we did have to stop anywhere on the way.

We’re leaning towards just doing it in a couple weeks (school doesn’t start until September here, and will be virtual in the beginning anyway) so we can find a new dog sitter, but who knows what will happen between now and then.

1 Like

I am probably the least spontaneous person I know so this has been a stretch for me!
We got here yesterday and spent the day at AK. Everything was walk on, wearing the masks was really not as big of a deal as everyone makes it to be. If you need a break from the masks, grab a drink and take a break.
They do seem to be taking the social distancing and disinfecting measures seriously.
We are on our way to MK this morning so I’ll let you know how that goes.

6 Likes

It definitely feels like there are more people at MK than there were at AK, but it’s also a Saturday and MK is a more condensed park.
Still, the crowds feel very manageable and waits have been fairly low.
We waiting 20 mins for both IaSW and PPF- while we were in line for each they announced there would be a short delay while they disinfected all ride vehicles.
Masks are still virtually a non-issue. I have a fairly thick cloth mask and you get to a point where you just don’t really notice it’s there.
We have been on a couple rides where they have announced that face coverings must remain on throughout the duration of the ride because someone has tried to take it off.
All cast members are going out of their way to greet you verbally since you can’t really see their smiles.
FYI for anyone who likes the bakery/Starbucks on Main Street- there was a very long line for that at rope drop today- many people were waiting to get in there.

3 Likes