Considering DVC (long post)

This is the route we’re considering. We feel pretty strongly that we’d like either BLT or Poly but don’t want to buy 200+ points at that price. We’re considering doing about 100 at BLT/Poly and 100 at AKL (both resale).

For us, the benefits of buying direct just aren’t there. Yes - the perks would be nice but it would also cost 10-15k more to purchase direct.

I’m a loud and proud resale owner from 2017 so I can book at Riviera and Reflections, but I’ll be honest that I’m very points cheap and most likely will never be booking at either of those resorts. Even GFV make me squirm! If I wanted to stay there maybe I would rent, but my points feel so much more valuable at the other resorts.

If you HAVE to own at the Poly then definitely buy there. As far as future resale restrictions, they have been pretty good at grandfathering in folks with each new “wave” of restrictions. Obviously not a guarantee, but my 50% savings was a pretty nice consolation prize.

Also, I got DVC discounts with my white card at EVERY single store or restaurant. I didn’t even lie. They just asked, are you DVC? And I showed a screen shot of my digital white card. May not work forever but worth throwing out there.

I have not been tempted by the blue card. We would plan on a Disney vacation every other year so the advantages just aren’t there for us. For the past few weeks I thought I had narrowed my choice down to 120ish points at AKL, with some wishful thinking about BLT.

But a point someone (I think @PrincipalTinker) made on chat had me thinking. In 2042 when other contracts start expiring, if they flip those resorts into new DVC, I guarantee resale will no longer have access. So in the last 15 years of my contract, the resorts I can book will narrow, and become harder to get (as all old resale will only be able to book those resorts, and all new buys will have access as well).

At a minimum this means I should buy where I want to stay. But it also makes me think about getting at least half of my points direct.

2 Likes

I don’t think it will be confirmed for years, but I expect they will re-bundle those expiring resorts in some form. Honestly, those expiring resorts do not impact me at all. I would be 81 in 2042 so for me, it is more important to get what I want now and not 30 years from now. I do think the buyers age should impact the thought process.

I’m still doing lots of research and watching the resale listings carefully, but I’ve told DH I won’t make any purchase decisions (or try to convince him about purchase decisions) until after we get our taxes done this year. We always have to get ours done at the last minute because of some forms we have to wait on, so it will likely be April before I can make a decision one way or another. This will give me time to cool down my emotions too. In the immediate aftermath of a WDW trip, it is so tempting to make an emotional purchase decision, and this is a big purchase, so I want it to be as logical as possible.

Right now I’m leaning toward a 100 pt resale contract at Poly to get us started. It would be enough for a week one year and a long weekend the next year with banking and borrowing. But to be honest, I don’t think that will be enough! So I’ll probably get a second 100 pt contract at some point in the future. But that 100 pts at Poly resale will be enough to get our feet wet with owning DVC and scratch my itch to constantly have a trip planned in the future.

I’m giving serious consideration to OKW as a second contract. Those rooms are so big! I feel like we could really relax there.

But first, taxes… ugh.

4 Likes

This is exactly where we are in our decision making process. We’ve already decided on buying 100 resale at Poly but giving it some time to cool off. Then we’ll probably do an additional points (leaning toward AKL but who knows). Good luck with taxes! :grinning:

We signed a contract for 115 Poly points yesterday. I took a long time to research and I feel like I know what we are getting in to. I’d like about 200-250 points eventually, but the contract I got has double points next year, so we can take our time and decide if we really want to buy more, or if 115 is enough for us. Prices for resale have come down since I started my search, which was serendipitous. Even DH is excited!

11 Likes

Congrats! Double points are amazing! What UY?

Congrats!

Welcome home, fellow Poly owner!

Congratulations! I am still waiting for ROFR :sob:. Sobglad yours went through and you got the contract!

Congratulations @HibiscusHuny!

And @heathernoel, hopefully yours will come through soon. They aren’t taking anything in ROFR at the moment as far as I know, so you should be good.

I’ve been following on the DIS ROFR for a few weeks now. My 30 days is Tuesday so I am close. Starting to worry they are going to get staff back to work and then buy back a ton of contracts!

1 Like