Confirmed: CHAPEK OUT!

8 Likes

Of course. But it meant Disney had to staff sub-optimally. With Fastpass, and now APR, Disney can staff the parks more efficiently. Not more efficiently for guests’ benefit, but for Disney’s benefit.

3 Likes

I am not an expert by any means but I trips in January February March and May during the reservation process staffing was an issue yet we all had reservations… And during those times when I could not get the reservation for the park I wanted- I scanned in at the available park and hopped at 2 pm -…park reservations are useless. IMO staffing is the line they fed the public to shove it down our throats and make us swallow it. They want reservations to control the flow of “unfavorable attendance” thats it…Staffing issues are general fixed with content workers being treated fairly earning a decent wage in a safe environment. Tell me my APs are going up cause groundskeepers need better medical insurance I am cool with that- my maintenance fees are going up so they can hire more mousekeepers ok great I will figure it out…

Park reservations and staffing issues is corporate Koolaide…

Chapek is a protege of Eisner- Eisner had Frank Wells and that was a winning team- After Wells passed Eisner couldn’t keep the moving forward productively … Chapek didn’t have a Frank Wells and made a ton of the same mistakes Eisner did before he got booted for Iger…

2 Likes

Thats exactly why I think they went with Iger- he makes board members happy and can shmooze the fans…The old man will probably never get to retire…

5 Likes

What happy news to start a new week with :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

Now, if we can just get the pound back to normal the obstacles keeping me away from Disney will be surmountable.

6 Likes

I shut off all devices early last night and woke up at 5am and listened to the local news. This was great news to wake up to! (I missed the text from my son last night)

Yes, some things might not change. I guess we will find out if Josh D was the idea man or just a weak leader focused on saving his job.

I do know that Disney has once again, and will for the next two years, a leader that has been to the parks. He knows WDW exists. That is enough for me now.

14 Likes

I woke up to this news. Tuned into CNBC. Disney stock up 7.33 in early morning trading

8 Likes

I’ve been watching the Disney financial news for several years going back before the start of Covid.

The major topic of financial news and the issues of concern were not parks. It was the Media and Entertainment division.

It’s the poor performance of that side of Disney that the financial folks are concerned about. About 2/3 of revenue is generated there. But only 1/3 of profits. In fact profit of this division is down 42%.

The most recent news and analysis that I read was concerned with the high costs of direct to consumer (Disney +) and linear networks (ABC, ESPN,cable) and the lack of projected revenue growth.

The most recent earnings report was that Disney + was reaching the point where subscriber growth has maxed out.

No reports expressed major concern about park operations.

This is my dumb guess why Chapek is out. I would guess that we will not see big changes to park operations but there will be a couple of small moves to improve guest satisfaction at the parks

7 Likes

First day with Iger and G+ is $29. I mean I know it’s Thanksgiving weekend and all…

2 Likes

Wow I missed the party!!! I hope I wake up tomorrow and find out Joe Rhode is coming back to imagineer a 5th park! :wink::grin:

19 Likes

And you know Iger had nothing to do with that 8hrs after being renamed CEO

5 Likes

This

5 Likes

I’d rather they put some rides in the parks they’ve already got first!

3 Likes

Notice I didn’t highlight the 5th park part

I think they need that, but agree they need to fix what they have up to par

What I want is Joe back. I don’t care what project they put him on. I just want him back.

14 Likes

I know. It’s just a fun observation.

1 Like

I was just going for big, way out there, unbelievable news :wink: I agree that more capacity in the current parks is more needed.

In all seriousness I think at the very least I won’t be called names to reporters as an AP anymore. And that makes me happy :grin:

The late Sunday night timing of this also makes me wonder if there is something we don’t know yet.

8 Likes

And maybe finishing Tron this century too

8 Likes

I think a very real, long term concern, should be that Disney has always been a multi-generational experience. I did not go to the parks until my 40s, but I grew up watching the Wonderful World of Disney with my grandmother. The parks connect me to that time. My son will always have the movies from his childhood and the experiences in the parks. Winnie the Pooh will always be a cherished attraction because it brings a beloved movie to life.

Chapek did not care or understand that families need to connect to multiple parts of the company. They need to save the future.

14 Likes

Consultant? How about let’s start with”Disney Legend”?

6 Likes

I would be happy at this point if we could have some maintenance done in current attractions so they aren’t down all the time.

15 Likes