Comparing dining plan vs not....TS prices for family of 4

Ok, so we usually get the dining plan…but have started to think it’s not completely worth it for us, especially since we pay for 4 “adults” now that our youngest just turned 10. The kids are good eaters, but the meals at Disney are so huge that we an often get away with 2-3 QS meals for the 4 of us easily, same with TS restaurants (except buffets and family style like 'Ohana where they charge her person, correct??) and depending on what else we’ve had to eat that day, sometimes a TS entitlement for one of the kids just doesn’t seem worth it. One of the big things is all the leftover snack credits now w/ 2 per person per day…it just seems wasteful sometimes. I do, however get that character meals can be a good use of a DDP credit. Something to consider, we almost always out of pocket 1-2 TS meals per trip b/c the DDP counts per night and not how many actual days you’re there.

I know where we plan to eat, ADRs are all set. With that being said, I am trying to plan out (roughly) what we will spend at each meal, TS and QS, plus allowing for snacks each day b/c of course the kids will want a Mickey bar, I’ll want a Dole Whip etc…can’t forget that. Also have to keep in mind that gratuity isn’t included in DDP.
I want to compare that to the DDP cost and see which way we should go. I should add that we usually do a Prime Now order for a couple of cases of bottled waters, as to avoid buying the $4 Dasani waters in the parks and have extras in our room.

If anybody could chime in with what they think an average bill at Ohana and CP restaurants would be for a family of 4, before gratuity that would be great. Those are the 2 buffets/family style we’re doing and therefore no prices for individual dishes listed on the menus.

I know what I’ve estimated based on what we’ve spent in the past, but when I look at the menu for Crystal Palace for example, it says “$$ ($15 to $34.99 per adult) - $$$ ($35 to $59.99 per adult)” - we’ve gone for lunch and dinner multiple times, never was it $60/person. Even with the DDP we look at the bill and I want to say I remember $100-$125 total before gratuity, does that sound right??

This may help:

3 Likes

When I was down in March, our family of 5 did 'Ohana dinner (all Disney adults). I recall it being $40 or $42/person. Which means I expect that your family of 4 is probably in the ~$160 range. (plus tip, obvi)

The TP menu/restaurant review page matches my recollection for 'Ohana.

1 Like

According to this DisThread CP would be $160 before tip?

I am unclear if tax is included in the DisThread

Oooh thanks, looking now… do you know how this was calculated for restaurants where each person orders individual items though? Like I see how a “per person” makes sense for buffets etc…but at some the others, how is this calculated?

Have you tried distripplanner.com? It seemed to do a good job of estimating costs…

3 Likes

And I’m guessing (if my memory serves me correctly) that the servers at places like 'Ohana, CP, etc…as how old the kids are because 10 is an “adult” price, correct. (kind of rolling my eye b/c my 10 year old does not eat like an adult lol)…

I have not, will take a look now!

Does anyone know if the TP restaurant page includes tax? I think so given the odd numbers but not sure.

distripplanner gives tax and tip separately in the bottom. It’s quite handy!

2 Likes

I literally go through this list of menu prices and make a guess at what we are likely to order.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m doing too! Didn’t think about it as much a few years ago when both kids were “children” by DDP price standards but both 10+ now so it’s making me look at the numbers!

1 Like

Just keep in mind that DDP at a buffet you can have an adult beverage or a specialty beverage. I would have 1 adult drink and then either a soda or just water with dinner.

Right! Thinking about that too. We really never get adult drinks at Disney on a regular basis. Something specialty at Epcot and maybe one more meal like at Ohana or something. We don’t not drink, just don’t think about it as much at Disney lol. But definitely worth considering now w the DDP for sure!

1 Like

I second this! I even doubled check the accuracy of the calculator by going through each menu and choosing what I thought we would eat and tallying all the meals. The calculator proved to be very accurate for me! I’d definitely use it and save yourself a lot of work.

2 Likes

Definitely doing this tonight!

1 Like

I love that tool too!

1 Like

As menus from all of the TSs are posted, it pretty easy to see what the costs will be. This is the approach that I always take.

1 Like

It doesn’t appear to have the Fantasmic Hollywood & Vine option, we’re doing that Minnie’s seasonal dining/Fantasmic package. I wonder how much it will differ just selecting lunch at H&V…

Found it!

1 Like