Comparing Cruise Lines

On the bucket list when the kids get out of my house :wink:
I think Disney does them via some other line?

1 Like

Yes, I believe AMAWaterways. We almost went with them but the itinerary wasnā€™t quite what we wanted.

Itā€™s partially a grad gift so the kid isnā€™t quite out of the house. :wink: From what I have heard, AMA is pretty nice but Iā€™ve never been on any cruise at all except a one-night ferry ride from Copenhagen to Oslo, if that counts.

So me being a poor judge of any cruise line is pretty much an understatement.

a grad gift for the parents who put their kid thru college? Niceā€¦lol

I know you mean for the kiddo. :wink: I just assumed my kids would not be interested. One hates cruises and crowds and the other needs excitement like jumping off of cliffs so Iā€™m just waiting to be able to take relaxing, cultural vacations.

2 Likes

Itā€™s kind of a ā€œThank God you graduated gift.ā€
Which still remains to be seen.

But honestly, he loves all that European history, art and music. Heā€™ll fit right in with all us old folks. If someone invited him to a big ship nightclub heā€™d probably rather jump overboard.

3 Likes

I hope to one day be like you. Iā€™m trying to get the incoming HS Senior to study for the August SATā€™s right now. Every day this summer it goes something like, ā€œHowā€™s that math assessment coming along?ā€ ā€œIā€™m still working on it.ā€ and on and on. This is just the pre-test that lets you know what to study. Sigh.

1 Like

But honestly, he loves all that European history, art and music. Heā€™ll fit right in with all us old folks. If someone invited him to a big ship nightclub heā€™d probably rather jump overboard.

:heart::heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Haha, My only ā€œcruiseā€ was the overnight ferry from Greece to Italy and then back again. I really have zero desire to cruise in general, except for river cruises and an Alaskan cruise.

1 Like

Well, maybe if he/she doesnā€™t want to study, that first test will be a wake-up call.

This being our third, we are much more relaxed than we used to be. Heā€™s changed his major twice, and is taking an extra semester. I wish that hadnā€™t happened, but he is especially stubborn and always has been. Thereā€™s no making this kid do anything he doesnā€™t want to do so we gave up early on. But itā€™s ok. Heā€™s smart, heā€™ll do all right eventually.

If he was my first Iā€™d probably never sleep worrying about him. Heck, I think I still worry more about my first than I do about this one!

1 Like

Haha, I have warned DH that having the ship half-empty is not typical. But he kinda loved going to sleep in one place and waking up in another. We only went on the ferry because it was cheaper to do that than pay separately for transpo plus a hotel room.

1 Like

This is my first. The other is entering HS this year. I push this one a lot, the older one. The funny thing is heā€™ll probably do alright on the math even without studying but the English will be another story.

I did look into the AMAway Disney Cruises you mentioned before covid but I thought hopefully DH and I will have lots of time to do those kinds of vacations in the future whereas right now Iā€™m running out of time to do them with the teens before they go off and have their own lives. We were gonna do Paris last year but that didnā€™t work out. Hopefully, Tokyo will happen in 2023 I think we said is the goal. Next year weā€™re gonna try the Disney Wish (but DS will be 18 so does not have to come).

1 Like

I thought the ferry was fun! But, I was also 25!

2 Likes

I thought it was fun, and I was 55!

Not sure Iā€™m up for a whole week of that, or barge cruises (I didnā€™t know these were a thing) but it was fun for a night.

A friend of mine has a BIL who owns a cargo ship that runs to the Virgin Islands. She hitched a ride one time, and he told her to always keep her door locked and a pistol in the nightstand. Thatā€™s not even fun for a night. Now she pays for a flight whenever she wants to visit her sis.:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Did you sleep on an overnight train? I did twice- once in a private couchette, and once in a public shared space. The latter was kinda shady but maybe not as shady as that cargo ship!

1 Like

I havenā€™t slept on the train since I was a little girl going to visit my grandma in CA- the porter scared me so much when he told me I couldnā€™t have dessert until I ate my dinner I think Iā€™m scarred for life! Of course, he was only joking but I didnā€™t know that then.

I would really like to ride The Empire Builder some day- if the porters are not too intimidating.

1 Like