Cheat Sheet: Worth it to Upgrade to AP?

After some discussion over on another thread, I added a bridging savings calculation back into this Worth It to Upgrade? sheet: If you enter what you paid at a reseller for your first trip’s tickets in the top box, it will calculate that savings again and take it into account for the bottom line savings/loss.

Note: If you enter a reseller price in the top box, you do NOT want to also enter an override ticket price in the row marked “Trip 1” or the amount saved will be off.) The bridging savings is calculated by subtracting the reseller amount you enter at top from the direct-from-Disney ticket price calculated in the “Ticket Cost” column for Trip 1.

I want to reiterate one note here: Since tiered pricing went into effect I have stopped using the Disney GATE price in bridging as it is not entirely clear to me that is still being used with any regularity. (If you are lucky and a CM does use gate price in bridging, it will mean an additional $21.30 in savings per ticket when bridging to AP.)

@JJT Thanks so much for this tool! Great work!

1 Like

Thank you!

It has been awhile since this thread has been active, but I’ve made some changes to my AP Upgrade Bridging Estimator spreadsheet.

sleepydwrf

If it is new to you: this sheet will provide an estimate for how much an AP upgrade will cost if bridging discounted reseller tickets.

Originally I had the sheet look up Disney ticket prices for you based on the date, number of days and ticket type, but keeping that working as new dates were released was just. too much. work.

In this simpler version, you just enter your own reseller ticket prices paid, look up and enter what Disney’s online price for the same tickets is, then choose an AP type.

At previous request I had added a spot for people to select a Memory Maker purchase they already had before upgrading - but I don’t recommend purchasing MM if upgrading, since the CM may or may not give you credit for it during the process. But, you can if you want to!

Once you enter your info, it will give you an estimate of how much your AP upgrade should cost. The sheet uses the Disney GATE price in it’s upgrade calculation, since over time people report that is often used. BUT, CMs are known to be inconsistent, so be prepared for them to come up with different numbers. This sheet should help you at least walk in with an idea of what to expect.

You can print it out the main table, or just screen capture the small version at right to keep on your phone.

There’s also a small table to the right where you can figure out how much using discounted gift cards might save you in the process- just enter the % off you can get on the cards. (e.g. 5% if you just do the standard Target Red Card purchase.)
extra%20savings

3 Likes

There’s an update to the update! After the latest annual pass types and costs were announced I updated the Worth It to Upgrade to AP? sheet to take into account the prices, PhotoPass and Water Park Add-on costs.

You can play around with the sheet here.

I also created a new video on how to use the sheet

3 Likes
3 Likes

Nice, I didn’t know they were writing those! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, the short answer is Yes?

Just adding 2 screen shots here with notes - I check in on this sheet once in awhile to see if anyone broke anything. (People LOVE to add blank sheets and change colors of cells for some reason.)

Quite often I notice that people enter COMPLETELY ridiculous ticket prices in the sheet, which means the bottom line Saving/(Loss) estimates will be the garbage out to their garbage in.

In the example below, the person set the sheet up to purchase FIVE APs, then entered 9 day ticket prices for maybe a single human. That made the sheet estimate they would be DOWN more than $3K buying APs vs just getting tickets each trip - even though they estimated 15 total days of travel.

First image is the original (“bad”) estimate with my notes added - the second image is what it should look like with reasonable ticket costs entered. (Also, their food cost estimates are ridonculously low, so they’d likely see a little more savings if those were higher.)

4 Likes

Been awhile, but FYI Everyone: I’ve checked out the AP Cost Cheat Sheet & added the new AP prices. I think overall my sheet still works as it used to - ASSUMING that Disney will still be bridging reseller tickets as they did in before times.

If they do not, then any upgrades will be the simple match of the difference between what you paid for your Disney tickets and the full cost of the AP and any add-ons you select.

You can try out the Disney AP Upgrade Bridging Cheat Sheet here.

1 Like

Hey JJT! Is it possible that the cheat sheet needs to be reworked? I am unable to put in more than 750-- I keep getting an error message. If I am using 8 day ph tickets the disney gate cost is $903.05. A 10 day PH disney gate price is $938.49. I must be doing something wrong? I get it— I can subtract the numbers(from my discounted tickets) and find my answer-- just thought you might want to update the spreadsheet. Thanks for all your help and tips!

Haven’t looked at this sheet in awhile - I originally put a limit on that cell because people were entering weirdly huge numbers in the sheet.

I just increased the maximum for that cell to $1,200 so should be good!

Thanks for the heads up! :slight_smile:

1 Like