Cheat Sheet: Worth it to Upgrade to AP?

Wow! Double thank you. This is a perfect solution.

Hey @JJT, just ran some numbers on this. It is showing advance purchase of Memory maker as $339. Am I doing something wrong?

Nope, not doing anything wrong!

Check out my Notes box on the right side: “If you choose a Memory Maker purchase option that cost will be counted once for EACH trip you enter below.”

The idea is if you are people who normally buy MM, then it assumes you’d buy it each trip.

If you trying out the sheet with multiple trips, but only expect to buy MM one time, you could just select “No” for MM and add $169 to your overall savings.

(Awhile back I toyed with putting a MM selector on each trip line, but the more bells and whistles you add, the more confusing it makes things.)

Ah, well that makes sense! Thanks for clarifying!

Someone on another thread was looking to figure out their possible AP savings if just buying the AP directly from Disney, and I realized my sheet had some issues that didn’t make that scenario easy to do.

So… UPDATE time. I made some changes as outlined below (duplicate info from the other thread if you were reading that one as well.)

Think I really need to make a YouTube going over this sheet so people understand all of the bells and whistles.

All righty, so long story not so short, I realized that after I told someone they could enter the Disney AP price in the override column of my sheet, a couple of formulas would not take into account the amount paid vs savings correctly.

After trying to fix them, my formula logic got complicated and I ran out of coffee. So I decided to just simplify:

There is now a box at the top marked “Buying Full Price AP Straight From Disney?” that you can set to “YES” and it will ignore any ticket bridging savings.

I should have thought of that earlier methinks, but didn’t have anyone mention that scenario and my brain didn’t thunk it. (Probably similar to my weird awareness thing that if something isn’t sitting in the usual place in our refrigerator or cupboard, my brain doesn’t see it. :smiley:)

Also, when fixing all of that, I also noticed an issue in how the sheet used the amounts in the ticket override boxes. I added those override boxes a little while back so people could enter actual prices they paid rather than have the sheet find the current highest discounted tickets.

Until today, if one used those override boxes the sheet didn’t look up the bridging savings properly and just used the maximum savings listed at the top of the sheet.

However, the sheet WAS using the total price paid correctly, so the difference in accuracy was likely only a small amount : the difference between the maximum savings at top and the actual savings if you entered an override ticket price. (Probably in the neighborhood of $20-$40 at most I’d guess.)

Below is a summary screen shot of this info which may make it more clearer.

I’ve made some updates to my Worth It to Upgrade to AP? spreadsheet: It now uses Disney online ticket prices instead of trying to find the cheapest reseller tickets to bridge.

(Maybe I’ll add that back when the process with new tickets is clearer.)

Google sheets now allows check boxes, so I took advantage & hopefully made the interface a bit cleaner to use. You can now select MM per trip, rather than have the sheet assume you are buying it all the time if you select it.

See the “How to Use This Sheet” tab at bottom for some step-by-steps on using it… here’s a screenshot for a quick peek.

All righty, since the tiered ticket pricing threw a sort of wrench into the mix last year, been awhile since I’ve updated some of my spreadsheets.

Today I modified one of my sheet to create a new AP Upgrade Bridging Estimator that works with the new tiered ticket price system. One modification I had to do was to require that users always enter the price they paid for their tickets, which isn’t too bad an thing to have to do.

(It became a full time job to keep up with all of the reseller ticket price deals since every day now had to follow a particular start date within a year.)

But, it still does what it used to - just enter your ticket type, days, start date, and how much you paid.
Enter the number of adult and child tickets you plan to upgrade.
If you already bought Memory Maker, select the type you purchased.

The sheet then creates a cheat sheet you can use to have as reference at Guest Seevices when upgrading to AP.

Some screen shots below, you can play with the sheet here.

1 Like

(I made some slight interface changes for clarity since those last screen shots. See the reference tab in the sheet for some newer notes.

I have a question on where you are pulling the Disney prices from. The spreadsheet price seems to be lower than the price I get when I add it to my cart direct at disney.com

Hi - Back when they created the tiers I took down Disney’s base prices for all of their posted days then figured out their method of calculating Base vs PH vs PH+.

Base tix for more than one day multiplies the 1 day price and then takes a particular % off for each number of days (took some playing around to figure that out.) But, PH and PH+ have been a simple additional amount added onto the base price.

PH was an additional even $75 added onto Base and PH+ was another $25 on top of that.

I just checked and saw the same few dollars difference you did as well: turns out they’ve suddenly started adding tax onto the $75 and $25 amounts. (In truth, not sure why they didn’t before!)

So, I’ve fixed my spreadsheet to reflect that new amount and should match the Disney site again. Thanks for the heads up!

2 Likes

After some discussion over on another thread, I added a bridging savings calculation back into this Worth It to Upgrade? sheet: If you enter what you paid at a reseller for your first trip’s tickets in the top box, it will calculate that savings again and take it into account for the bottom line savings/loss.

Note: If you enter a reseller price in the top box, you do NOT want to also enter an override ticket price in the row marked “Trip 1” or the amount saved will be off.) The bridging savings is calculated by subtracting the reseller amount you enter at top from the direct-from-Disney ticket price calculated in the “Ticket Cost” column for Trip 1.

I want to reiterate one note here: Since tiered pricing went into effect I have stopped using the Disney GATE price in bridging as it is not entirely clear to me that is still being used with any regularity. (If you are lucky and a CM does use gate price in bridging, it will mean an additional $21.30 in savings per ticket when bridging to AP.)

@JJT Thanks so much for this tool! Great work!

1 Like

Thank you!

It has been awhile since this thread has been active, but I’ve made some changes to my AP Upgrade Bridging Estimator spreadsheet.

sleepydwrf

If it is new to you: this sheet will provide an estimate for how much an AP upgrade will cost if bridging discounted reseller tickets.

Originally I had the sheet look up Disney ticket prices for you based on the date, number of days and ticket type, but keeping that working as new dates were released was just. too much. work.

In this simpler version, you just enter your own reseller ticket prices paid, look up and enter what Disney’s online price for the same tickets is, then choose an AP type.

At previous request I had added a spot for people to select a Memory Maker purchase they already had before upgrading - but I don’t recommend purchasing MM if upgrading, since the CM may or may not give you credit for it during the process. But, you can if you want to!

Once you enter your info, it will give you an estimate of how much your AP upgrade should cost. The sheet uses the Disney GATE price in it’s upgrade calculation, since over time people report that is often used. BUT, CMs are known to be inconsistent, so be prepared for them to come up with different numbers. This sheet should help you at least walk in with an idea of what to expect.

You can print it out the main table, or just screen capture the small version at right to keep on your phone.

There’s also a small table to the right where you can figure out how much using discounted gift cards might save you in the process- just enter the % off you can get on the cards. (e.g. 5% if you just do the standard Target Red Card purchase.)
extra%20savings

3 Likes

There’s an update to the update! After the latest annual pass types and costs were announced I updated the Worth It to Upgrade to AP? sheet to take into account the prices, PhotoPass and Water Park Add-on costs.

You can play around with the sheet here.

I also created a new video on how to use the sheet

3 Likes
3 Likes

Nice, I didn’t know they were writing those! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, the short answer is Yes?

Just adding 2 screen shots here with notes - I check in on this sheet once in awhile to see if anyone broke anything. (People LOVE to add blank sheets and change colors of cells for some reason.)

Quite often I notice that people enter COMPLETELY ridiculous ticket prices in the sheet, which means the bottom line Saving/(Loss) estimates will be the garbage out to their garbage in.

In the example below, the person set the sheet up to purchase FIVE APs, then entered 9 day ticket prices for maybe a single human. That made the sheet estimate they would be DOWN more than $3K buying APs vs just getting tickets each trip - even though they estimated 15 total days of travel.

First image is the original (“bad”) estimate with my notes added - the second image is what it should look like with reasonable ticket costs entered. (Also, their food cost estimates are ridonculously low, so they’d likely see a little more savings if those were higher.)

4 Likes

Been awhile, but FYI Everyone: I’ve checked out the AP Cost Cheat Sheet & added the new AP prices. I think overall my sheet still works as it used to - ASSUMING that Disney will still be bridging reseller tickets as they did in before times.

If they do not, then any upgrades will be the simple match of the difference between what you paid for your Disney tickets and the full cost of the AP and any add-ons you select.

You can try out the Disney AP Upgrade Bridging Cheat Sheet here.

1 Like