Character Palooza 2020

This is an interesting conversation for sure. While I’m curious about the thing KtP does that are disturbing to others, I fear asking as I don’t want to stir the pot. And I also think I may not really ‘care’ as much, at least at this point in time, as I’m planning my family’s first trip and don’t feel the same level of investment many of you have developed over time. But again, I do find it interesting that he’s doing stuff that’s ‘not right’ in some eyes…I kinda assumed he and TP would be running very similar games. (I just really like TP because I like the organization, the layouts, the videos…don’t know who that guy is in them, but he seems like a nice dude)

1 Like

The dreaded Character Palooza conversation. In full disclosure, I consider myself to be friends with Kenny but here is an honest assessment:

I see both sides of it. I definitely don’t like the fact that I believe you subscribe without getting the warning to be banned prior to subscribing. It should be part of the agreement terms. Whether he pays CMs or not isn’t any of my concern. Personally I only subscribe to Touring Plans for the info I obtain from the chat rooms and forums and Touring Plans doesn’t pay Liners, we pay them.

I also like to share my info and knowledge for free but that is my choice and I see nothing wrong with someone trying to make a living through something they enjoy doing and info they are privy to.

I do believe Len at times learns things from liners. We also then know he openly talks about what he learns (twitter,podcasts) . Anything you or I learn here can be posted and shared any way we want. I think that is how I have learned so much. Maybe Kenny did too at some point?

It is different.

3 Likes

The ability to share all info is a little different. The difference is the info he has he decides to be secret comes from him. TPs would have a hard time trying to protect info shared from their users.

TP and Kenny both share a lot of info for free. If TP decided to protect intel they had then that would be their prerogative.

It is different, indeed. I agree completely.
And I think TP is a significantly better site and business.
If there is one area that TP is a little bit weak on - it is characters. They are so fluid that I understand that a lot of the M&G can’t be taken into consideration for the TP. I have to take the character info I find here and elsewhere and weave it into my touring strategy.

I too think TP is more user friendly and easier to navigate and build TPs. However the biggest value comes to me from the chat room and Liners info. It is the users info that generates revenue from me via the wait times they enter and through chat. Therefore they are getting some subscription fees off the back of their users.

1 Like

That’s an interesting perspective.