Character experiences

I’ve actually had a lot of good character interactions, now that I think about it.

One of the funniest ones was when Mr. Smee proposed to my sister on one knee and walked off with her, leaving a disgruntled Captain Hook behind to take pictures alone. He finally walked back with her, leaned against a pole and faked crying when my sister had to leave. This was back in the days of random character meets, which I really miss!

6 Likes

This thread has made me feel quite sad :sleepy: (Why is that emoji called “sleepy”?)

I miss WDW so much. I’d be there in just under eight weeks if it weren’t for this damned virus.

Anyhoo, I have two standout memories of character interactions.

The first was at Crystal Palace, where I was having breakfast alone. I was feeling fine, but wasn’t particularly in the mood for getting involved. Piglet showed up. He sat down in the chair opposite mine and invited himself to breakfast. He kept picking things up from the table and testing to see if they were edible — salt and pepper shakers and so on. He would keep looking over at his handler who would say, “No, you can’t eat that.” It was just too adorable and melted even my stony heart.

The second was breakfast at Tusker House. Sadly I have no photo of this encounter. Donald Duck arrived shortly after I had received my check. He mimed to me that I should I rip the check up and run out of the restaurant without paying. It was so perfectly done and so funny.

Damn, I want to go back. It’s such a wonderful place.

18 Likes

That pic of you and Piglet is absolutely adorable! :heart:

4 Likes

My mouth is doing some weird thing where the edges of it curve upwards. I don’t know what it’s called, but I’m sure I remember it being painful. Not the sort of thing I plan on doing again.

6 Likes

We were leaving EP out of the IG to grab a boat to Hollyweird at a very slow time of day - like 2pm or whetever. There’s a little outdoor character MG area near the boat launch, and nobody was there but we saw Mr Smee. My son was in full Jake & The Neverland Prates age, so we went and stopped for a picture. I told Mr. Smee over and over what a fan we were of the show, and how tic toc croc will get Hook every time. My son was a pretty big fan of the show. After a few minutes, and several diff pictures, the cm came back over and heard me say thank you Mr Smee!

The handler then politely told me it was Doc from the 7 Dwarves.

6 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

I called them squirrels at Garden Grill and they got mad and skipped our table.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Nobody should ever pass up a chance to see Donald.

1 Like

I hope no one minds me sharing my favorite even though it happened at DisneyLAND rather than WDW? (We’ve only been to WDW once in 2012, but are veterans of the Land.)

The first time I was able to take my girls was in 2010. They were just turned 7 and days shy of 10. I really wish I could have taken them sooner, but life things got in the way. Luckily, my niece was getting married in LA February 2010 and we had the perfect opportunity to visit.

We had a few encounters where we waited in line to see someone, but on our way out of the park on our second and last day, we ran into Dale. The girls were climbing on the cannon in the town square and posing for pics when Dale came over and engaged with them. It was so random and fun. He kept putting his hand or arm in front of my younger daughter’s face. So funny and the kids loved it.

Disneyland seems to be so much more casual with characters just out walking around. It’s awesome. The Evil Queen is hilarious. Last time we were there I saw her carefully ushering a duck across the path. But she did this very haughtily and in character. Love her!

6 Likes

“Donald Duck #1

Always!
:grin::grin:

1 Like

One of my grand-nephews loves Donald Duck. I wonder if it isn’t partly because he has a temper himself? His birthday is in May (he’ll be 6) and I am sending him a Donald Duck lanyard and about six pins - mostly Donald. His brother will be 7 in May and he’s getting Chip and Dale. It’s been a lot of fun buying pins on eBay and gleaning them from our own collections during this shut-down.

2 Likes

I’m dying :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Is this the breakfast where you got shamed for trying to take a photo with Piglet and Tigger at the same time?

1 Like

In the early '80s whe characters roamed freely I was determined to get photos with each of the three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf (are they even around anymore???).

I achieved 2 of the pigs and the wolf, but I couldn’t find the third pig (they each had different colored outfits).

One morning, however, I spotted him/her … but the little piggy was likely at the end of shift and headed toward one of the character only areas. I ran toward the pig and asked my Mom to take a photo when I neared. I approached, grabbed the pig’s hand and turned around … Mom snapped the photo … a photo of the back of the pig walking away while little me was holding on to the pig’s hand. Mission Accomplished!

3 Likes

No — it was a Crystal Palace breakfast, obviously, but not that one.

4 Likes

Love reading all the favorite experiences! Here are some of my favorite memories:

The first was our first night at DW and it was a long wait for CM. Anyway, we finally got seated and went straight to the buffet. We were done eating when the characters started to get around to us and Donald was the first to visit our table. I didn’t know how, now too cool DS12 was going to react, but he got up and Donald went to shake his hand. DS went to go shake it and Donald pulled away and stuck his hand behind his ear. DS’s smile just got me.

My favorite meet for DD was Mary Poppins. It was a near 90 degree hot, humid, sunny day in Epcot. Our schedule had us for a Belle M&G but they changed the schedule that day. So we booked it to UK to go meet MP which was on our schedule for later and we wanted to see if she was there earlier. Luckily she was! We got up and MP, signed her autograph book and DD told her she could spell Supercali… (I can’t spell it) and she did for Mary, who was quite impressed and asked DD to teach Burt how to spell it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

We are not into character breakfasts in general, but that interaction and picture with Piglet has changed my mind.!

2 Likes

I didn’t realize my wife had captured this moment on camera until I started looking through photos of the trip! Here it is:

7 Likes

I have different ones for each of my three kids…
My oldest was so enamored of Winnie the Pooh at CP, that when he moved off to the other side of the room, he got down from the chair and followed him, and Tigger, who was just coming to our table pretended to get offended.
My daughter went to BBB and when we came out, Lady Tremaine and the sisters were outside the castle and she was in full Cinderella dress. They went on to make a fuss and tell her she was so much prettier than that “other Cinderella” and she ought to go find the Prince.

My youngest, is autistic and can speak some, but often doesn’t. We were at Trattoria Al Forno for the Bon Voyage meal last year and he was wearing a Tangled shirt. When Flynn got to our table he asked my son what his shirt said. Before I could jump in and explain that he sometimes doesn’t talk, he looked at Flynn completely deadpan and said “It says your dream stinks, Flynn.”
It was all the guy could do to stay in character and not bust out laughing.

9 Likes

Hilarious :joy::joy:

2 Likes