Chapek confirms masks will be required in US parks upon reopening

My wife saw this posted for Universal. It is Kenny the Pirate:

So, this confirms that Universal, at least, will allow gaiters.

3 Likes

Do you prefer the gator to a fabric mask?

The gaiter didn’t work for me. We ordered one to try. It kept slipping down and then steaming up my glasses. It actually worked well for my wife, however. In terms of comfort, I think it COULD be comfortable as long as it works for you.

I have found the gaiters with the sewn seams to be tighter than the cut tubes.

It is surprising to me how uncomfortable the surgical style become on my ears after a couple of hours. I need to get an ear saver, I think that will help…

1 Like

Good to know, thanks. I just think they look far less ghoulish than masks. And have some practical value, e.g. UV protection for neck.

In an interesting twist, my building’s super has asked (not required) tenants to wear masks in the common areas, which basically means when using the stairs. To encourage compliance I have been given a box of 50 surgical grade masks.

1 Like

I have access to n95 and surgical for work purposes. My wife baught the whole family cloth masks with filter options.

I like the surgical the best comfort wise. My glasses fog up with all of them.

Even the cloth one was uncomfortable in 90 degree weather for more then a couple hours.

17 Likes

Ha! That’s hysterical…and quite accurate. I particularly noted the rise in importance in sweatpants. I almost never wore them prior to the pandemic…now I practically live in them. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Stealing this too!

2 Likes

I kept coming up with Alco Oil in an internet search &. couldn’t figure out why you’d need it, and anyway, that stock is down, not up!

and then I realized the “H” was just missing in Alcohol. :blush:

Yes, that- that is a necessary item in these times.

1 Like

This is what I’m afraid will happen with masks at Disney. From an article I posted over. at the Re-Opening News thread:

A Disney Springs custodian went to the hospital for overheating, Clinton said, as an example. In response, Disney is giving employees more breathable, washable masks, he said.

Think how many more guests there will be than employees currently working at Disney, and the numbers of people with heat exhaustion could be very high. Especially as the summer temps rise even further.

I don’t think breathable, washable masks are going to solve the problem, either. We are not dogs, who thermoregulate by panting. We are people, who thermoregulate through their skin. This man probably was under hydrated, as well, and a better mask won’t fix that.

3 Likes

Well, and also people like breathe differently in masks. I definitely catch myself breathing oddly with a mask.

1 Like

Yes, that definitely could have an effect.
Some people feel oxygen starved in a mask, even if they aren’t. I have a doctor friend, who wears a mask all day quite often, who can’t snorkel, never mind scuba dive. She can’t get around the fact that she has to breathe through a device in her mouth, and she panics.

3 Likes

Trouble is, the less breathable the mask is, the more likely you are not, in fact, getting the same amount of oxygen. You are rebreathing the CO2 you just exhaled in much higher quantities. For short periods, this is fine, but it seems like for longer periods could result in mild hypoxia.

Perhaps we should test out our masks with our pulse-ox meter on the finger to see what difference it makes.

1 Like

I think it’s mainly n95 masks that are a real risk for hypoxia or rather, high CO2 which is the real driver for our respiratory systems. They aren’t to be worn where the % O2 is less than 21%.

Regular masks just aren’t that effective at blocking CO2. If they were I think people would be passing out during surgery and they don’t. Well, except for the patient, of course. :wink:

1 Like

IN the masks I tried, however, some of the masks you could literally watch the fabric going in and out like a lung, which suggest that the air molecules aren’t just passing through directly. And CO2 is slightly larger than O2, which means it is easier for O2 to come IN, but not quite as easy for CO2 to get out.

But, again, it depends on the fit of the mask. I have a mask I wear now that allows seepage along the sides slightly. Breathing feels normal. But when I close of those seepage points, wearing the same mask, I soon feel like I have to breathe MUCH harder. So I know it is playing a factor.

The gauzy masks we bought don’t have this at all. I felt like I could breathe almost entirely normally.

Yes, I thought about this. But those gasses are so, so, so much smaller than a virus. If they don’t stop a virus, they won’t do much with CO2.

I can tell that now I’m going to spend the rest of the morning reading about air movement, and wind. It’s kind of fascinating. We had a huge windstorm here yesterday so I have extra motivation. I mean, air is mostly empty. When you see the mask moving as you breathe, what is doing that? Is it the water in the air? What is wind, I mean really, what are we feeling when the wind blows?

Curious minds want to know.

1 Like

Most people are going to think about drinking less with their mouths covered.

I tend to overheat easily. I know my body and when in Disney, know when to drink and when I need an air conditioning break. My DH also helps me stay on top of it. This is why I am staying away from Disney when masks are required outside.

2 Likes

It is resulting from path of least resistance.

When you breathe in, you are first sucking in the air that is contained inside the mask itself. Once that is deflated, more air will need to be sucked THROUGH the mask.

When you breath out, you first “fill up” the mask with what you exhale. Once the mask is inflated to max capacity, it will start to push air OUT through the mask. But MOST of the volume of the mask now contains CO2 rich air…which is my point. So you breathe in and out harder in such cases so that you can suck in more actual O2…which you have to “pull” through the mask after you first empty the mask of CO2 rich air.

If there is seepage around the edges, however, the air can move much more freely through those paths. You won’t see the inflating/deflating (as much, if at all).

Right, I get that. But what’s pushing on the mask if the gasses can diffuse so easily?