Chapek confirms masks will be required in US parks upon reopening

Just a warning, TJ Maxx and Homegoods are still not open here, despite being permitted to open.

They weren’t considered essential in PA either.

I was just saying to a friend that these companies have had weeks to figure out how they could be open. If they decide not to then they better not cry bankruptcy… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Yeah, they wouldn’t have been able to pull that off in PA. If you weren’t on the essential list, you had to apply for a waiver and many waivers were denied.

Back in AZ probably 50-60% of people were wearing masks at grocery stores and Wal-Marts. I am now on vacation in South Carolina / Georgia and maybe 5-10% are wearing, most of them employees! It seems to be a badge of honor here to not be wearing a mask, and I get some nasty looks with mine on.

Restaurants are open - we ate out the other night, and I saw no attempt to even make it look like social distancing was in effect. Thankfully our table was in a corner with no others around, but toward the end they seated someone right next to us.

Interesting to see these regional attitudes.

P.S. Disney World is in a similar climate to where I am, and honestly masks and distancing seem unnecessary when it is so hot and humid, as long as you’re outdoors. Indoors seems like a much more reasonable and enforceable goal. (When I go back I’ll do whatever Disney says, though.)

8 Likes

I’m copying this post from another thread. It may be a game-changer for me.

Yet another reason for me to sack off WDW and just focus on UOR.

UOR requires “facial coverings in line with CDC’s guidelines” and those guidelines say nothing about “ties or ear loops”.

I’ve written elsewhere about my horror of masks and my feeling that they are ghoulish, but the gaiter suggested by @thekid feels much more acceptable to me.

Would WDW really reject someone wearing a gaiter?

Edit: Maybe not this one. It has a built-in ear loop and comes in some funky designs.

There were reports that a few CMs at Disney Springs have been using gaiters. I don’t think there are any reports that anyone has been turned away for using them.

2 Likes

Zoo Tampa opened here, and we went yesterday. Masks were optional except in certain areas.
In the areas they were required, they were handed out and not one person was violating the rule.

We went to city walk on oppeneing day and Disney Springs. Masks were required at both, and at both people were taking there masks off.

2 Likes

I would think any sort of covering should be acceptable. Probably 90% of masks worn aren’t going to offer any true level of protection. If they are allowing any type of low level face mask, it seems silly to restrict it to only certain types. It seems to me Disney’s goal is compliance. Nitpicking covering types doesn’t achieve that goal.

ETA: And funny to me - DH has been using a bandanna that we all received when we attended the Pirates Party/Cruise in 2014. :grinning:

6 Likes

If I were to guess, it’s possible requiring the ear tie/loop is a counter measure for guests “struggling” (real or feigned) to keep their coverings in position over mouth and nose. They may not say anything if you’re meeting the intent.

Possible handling…CM: “I’m sorry your covering won’t stay up, but it really doesn’t really meet our requirements anyway. You will need to change to one that does.”

That said, if it’s most comfortable, I’d give it a try but have a Plan B that fully complies ready.

1 Like

I thought the same thing - my first thought was that ear loops mention is a preemptive way of maintaining control over people that try to use something that needs constant adjustment.

1 Like

the weave on the gaiters that I have that offer UV protection are tighter than most cotton weave fabrics I’ve seen. If the goal is to “protect others not yourself” by wearing a face covering then a gaiter is just as effective as a mask. And in many cases it is lighter and more breathable.

1 Like

My wife saw this posted for Universal. It is Kenny the Pirate:

So, this confirms that Universal, at least, will allow gaiters.

3 Likes

Do you prefer the gator to a fabric mask?

The gaiter didn’t work for me. We ordered one to try. It kept slipping down and then steaming up my glasses. It actually worked well for my wife, however. In terms of comfort, I think it COULD be comfortable as long as it works for you.

I have found the gaiters with the sewn seams to be tighter than the cut tubes.

It is surprising to me how uncomfortable the surgical style become on my ears after a couple of hours. I need to get an ear saver, I think that will help…

1 Like

Good to know, thanks. I just think they look far less ghoulish than masks. And have some practical value, e.g. UV protection for neck.

In an interesting twist, my building’s super has asked (not required) tenants to wear masks in the common areas, which basically means when using the stairs. To encourage compliance I have been given a box of 50 surgical grade masks.

1 Like

I have access to n95 and surgical for work purposes. My wife baught the whole family cloth masks with filter options.

I like the surgical the best comfort wise. My glasses fog up with all of them.

Even the cloth one was uncomfortable in 90 degree weather for more then a couple hours.

17 Likes

Ha! That’s hysterical…and quite accurate. I particularly noted the rise in importance in sweatpants. I almost never wore them prior to the pandemic…now I practically live in them. :slight_smile:

2 Likes