Changing our November 2020 trip to Early May 2020, what should I know before planning?

So after learning about the Food and Wine Races that will be happening over the first weekend in November, we are looking into moving our short trip up to Early May 2020 (May 1-5).
Our goal is to try out the Boardwalk Inn, have park hoppers and enjoy the ability to walk over to Epcot anytime. Is there any type of event during early May that would make this plan difficult or less fun? How is the weather in May? Any advice/suggestions? We have only been once so we lack all of the insider knowledge that you have.

Early May should be a nice time to visit in terms of crowds I would think. The Flower and Garden Festival will be going on which is beautiful in my opinion. It will be hot in May.

2 Likes

Why move the trip back because of the Races? One think to consider is that by May 2020, there will be a fair number of new rides opened (Rise of the Resistance which is scheduled to open this December 5, most likely Mickey and Minnie’s Railroad, and possibly Ratatouille). With those major rides open, there could be a big upswing in crowds in May 2020. On the other hand, that’s additional rides to enjoy if one is willing to bear the crowds/lines.

We only have time for a short trip in 2020, so I didn’t want to spend a weekend in an Epcot resort if we can’t really enjoy walking over to Epcot due to the races.

I was there this past May, same dates. The Flower & Garden festival was going on and it was wonderful, I spent a lot of time in Epcot.

One tip, look into the Dining plan (if you are foodies), with the quick service plan, you can convert a QS credit to 3 snack credits (have to get all 3 at the same time) and there are a lot of snack options at the food booths during F&G. Might be worth it to you if you plan to spend a lot of time in Epcot. The food was amazing when I was there.

It will be very hot, particularly if you are coming from a cooler climate. I found it overwhelming at times. Temps were in the low 90s when I was there, which I guess was a little warmer than usual.

Crowds weren’t bad at all and shouldn’t be an issue if you use a personalized touring plan.

1 Like

We’ve been in early May every year for the last 10-ish years. I have nothing negative to say about it. It’s warm, but not unbearably hot, and you don’t have the very high humidity which comes a bit later. Flower & Garden Festival is in full swing and crowds are very manageable.

We’re taking my family in early May next year (there’ll be 11 of us), it’s one of their favorite times of year also! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My DD19 and I just went this past May 4-10 to WDW.
The weather was hot and humid. We come from California so we are sensitive to the humidity. The usual afternoon thunderstorms only damped our visit to AK but we still saw everything we wanted. Most thunderstorms were brief and we missed them while on rides or indoors shopping or eating. Between 2-5pm is the peak time when you want to maximize your time indoors. Since we slept in everyday, we didn’t take an afternoon resort break so instead we scheduled a late lunch in a quiet restaurant after 2pm to avoid the heat and humidity. We especially enjoyed the Marrakesh. Overall, May is a good month because the summer crowds haven’t arrived.

2 Likes

My first trip to WDW was a Memorial Day trip. It was hot but not unbearable. I thought the weather was nice. Hot but nice.

1 Like

All right, it looks like we are moving our trip up to May! Thanks for all of the feedback!

1 Like