Change in dress code policy

I read somewhere earlier this year that the signature restaurants (CG was specifically mentioned) are going to get stricter with enforcing the dress code.

As I plan on dining at a number of these next year, I’d like to know where I stand.

Does anyone have any evidence on the ground that this is the case?

In the past (except at V&A, of course!) I’ve worn plain shorts, a plain t-shirt, and sneakers. No-one complained. I hope to get away with that next year. Disney mentions collared shirts (which for me would mean a polo shirt) but still only explicitly bans t-shirts with slogans on them.

It’s not that I don’t like to dress smartly. It’s about wanting to wear the coolest possible clothes in the parks, and then not having to return to my hotel to change. Or, indeed, carry two sets of tops per day — one for park wear, one for dining — in my suitcase.

1 Like

I hope not…good grief they are charging an arm and a leg now just to eat there. I agree that tee shirts with slogans and flip flops and such are not a good idea - maybe that is what they will enforce

I would like to know this too … the family and I are heading to CG in a few weeks for dinner and fireworks after a full day in MK … we would all be wearing tshirt, shorts and trainers …

My husband doesn’t actually ever wear cotton t-shirts for travel, they aren’t as practical as several alternatives that also look better, and make wearing a collared shirt completely pain-free.

Microfiber performance shirts are cooler, come in collared varieties and look very nice, pack small and can be washed in the sink if you have to. They’re made by a variety of backpacking-type clothing companies.

Also, folks in Hawaii wear Hawaiian shirts for a reason! They look nice and do far better in hot, humid conditions than cotton, as long as you get a nice rayon or silk one. A good one is not delicate, either.

We never wear cotton on a trip to Disney. If it gets wet, it won’t dry. If it get’s dirty, it’s hard to clean. Cotton takes up more space than microfiber. There are just a lot of reasons why we long ago ditched cotton clothes for travel, especially to hot and humid climates.

1 Like

Polo shirts are essentially t shirts with collars. They are rarely flattering to the average (slightly portly) middle aged man. Sneakers/ trainers … Would you wear them to a nice restaurant at home? I don’t think so. If a friend invited you to supper (other than a barbeque ) would you wear shorts, trainers and a t shirt? I hope not. The restaurants have air conditioning, so there is no excuse for an abundance of flesh to be on display. Smart casual, means dressing like a grown up, not impersonating a toddler. :wink:

3 Likes

Quoting from the dress code section of the Flying Fish page (because it’s where I thought to check, and love to eat):

Men must wear khakis, slacks or dress shorts and collared shirts. Jeans may be worn if in good condition. Sport coats are optional.

Women must wear Capri pants, skirts, dresses or dress shorts. Jeans may be worn if in good condition.

Not permitted are tank tops, flip-flops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut-offs, torn clothing and t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics.

Here’s the thing - many womens’ blouses look extraordinarily like T-shirts, and so trying to ban all t-shirts for all people would inevitable result in problems.

A “strict” reading of this would mean that I could show up in a skirt and nothing else - nowhere does it say that I’m required to wear a shirt, or undergarments, or even shoes. We all know that’s not what they mean.

It’s fairly solid, however, that men are expected to wear a shirt with a collar. Even if you’re wearing khakis or slacks, I think the message is pretty clear.

I know there are some people who want to split hairs with Disney down to the nearest iota. I’m not among them. Therefore, in your position, I would probably spend my days wearing non-cargo shorts and a moisture-wicking polo or golf shirt.

And, while I’ve not claimed I plan to do so, I will be clear in saying I do not plan to arrive at FF topless. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Have not heard this.

2 Likes

:joy::joy:

1 Like

It’s weird that it specifies Capri pants for women but doesn’t say they can wear khakis or dress slacks. I’m sure they would be fine, since they’re typically dressier than Carpis, shorts, or jeans–it’s just a strange omission.

1 Like

Agreed. I think they’re trying to communicate what they want the minimum to be.

You’ll notice that they don’t say that men could wear a suit and tie - which is more dressy than simply a sport coat. Yet I’m quite sure that it would be considered acceptable.

1 Like

Darned if that wouldn’t liven up FF for sure @MouseGirl42

2 Likes

Capri pants run the gamut. I have cargo and dockers. We are casual at work. Shorts must be knee length.

A better statement might be to use common sense.

Maybe not quite as fantastical as unicorns and leprechauns, but certainly not as common as we like to pretend. Thus the unfortunate necessity of spelling it out for the sense-deprived.

6 Likes

Actually, if I was invited to supper, I’d definitely go casual. Supper to me suggests a “everyone dig in, help yourself” light meal. :wink:

Dinner though, then I’d dress reasonably smartly.

But I will say, I have never worn a skirt or dress at Disney. I don’t even pack them. There again, of the “signature” restaurants I’ve only been to Le Collier and The Yachtsman. Both times I was just in cotton trousers and a top (not tee). If DH ever decides to book V&A, I hope he tells me before we leave lol!

2 Likes

Would you wear shorts, t shirt and trainers? Just curious … and you may freeze here!:wink:

I’m from the U.K. so no, not shorts usually. But jeans and a dressy tee, yes. The only people I know who might say come to supper would be close friends and family. And it would be more likely to be a kind of “bring a dish, come casual” or an spur of the moment call “fancy coming over for supper?”.

Or even over the fence in the case of a couple of our neighbours. And yes, we have literally gone to the fridge, got out some beer, a bottle of wine and whatever seems appropriate and go. I’d change into a clean tee, and out of gardening jeans but pretty much go as I am. And in the height of summer, it might even be in shorts - the neighbours in question would be.

2 Likes

I wear trainers pretty much anywhere, and anyone likely to invite me would be in jeans and t shirt or shorts if it was hot.

1 Like

Hmmm. Intriguing. So I had friends for supper last night and this evening. …but they dressed as they would to go out to a nice restaurant and they were offered three courses and wine. I would describe the dress as smart casual. The gentlemen wore shirts, trousers and jackets and the ladies pretty day dresses. Sometimes I invite or am invited to dinners but they are far more formal affairs and involve many courses and champagne, wines etc. People wear suits and cocktail dresses unless it is a special celebration, in which case the dress is black tie. I think perhaps that it is a generational difference.

1 Like

I love this topic as it’s shown some real diversity from Ts to shirts an from shorts to slacks … not sure if I’ve totally got it but … I’ll be at CG on 10/11 for dinner and will be rocking some long “pink” Bermuda shorts and a Hawaiian shirt … in or out ? You the jury decide …

1 Like

Shorts from Bermuda?