Celebration Meal

Hi all,
Would love some thoughts about a good place to take my son for a celebration meal. He will (hopefully) have reached a big milestone by the time we go in October, and I would like to celebrate that accomplishment. He will be 17 when we go. The places I’m thinking of suggesting to him are:

Le Cellier
California Grill
Cinderella’s Royal Table
Narcoossee’s
Morimoto Asia
Saana

Other ideas? Should I eliminate any of these suggestions?

Thanks for any advice you can provide. I’m new here, but have been an Unofficial Guide reader for many years.

1 Like

You’ve got some very different choices there! I think I’d go with Cali Grill for a celebration.

2 Likes

I surprised my kids with the news on the way to MK our last day that we’d be eating at CRT. I knew my girls would be excited, but I was so happy to find out that my sons, almost 14 and 16 at the time, were equally as enthusiastic. To actually go inside after seeing it their whole lives was a big moment.

Recently younger son (now 16) wondered out loud I he’d ever get to go in there again.

2 Likes

I was planning to give my son some options and let him choose, but it might be fun to surprise him too. I think he would like CRT, but I’m not 100% sure. I am sure he would like all the rest. He’s not too picky and likes to try new things, and all of these restaurants would be new for us.

Is he interested in the planning of a Disney holiday? I’d ask him his thoughts on restaurants and take it from there, AJ from DFBGuide on youtube is great for getting a quick feel for the restaurants. My DD9 liked the game which would you prefer, and I’d describe 2 restaurants, we ended up turning it into a put them in order of preference game.

4 Likes

This! My kids (DD17 and DS15) are going to CRT for the first time on our spring break trip. I have been twice, once as a kid when it was King Stefan’s and then again 2 years ago with friends. My DD is so excited to finally see the inside of the castle after so many trips. I gave my DS the option to just have a QS meal in MK and skip it (which he has done before at Jiko and Sanaa), figuring he would choose that, and he chose to join us for dinner. I think he too wants to see what it is like inside there.

3 Likes

I would pick California Grill from your list. Morimoto Asia would be my second choice, it was delicious. Le Cellier wasn’t to my liking, though it certainly appeals to many.

3 Likes

For spectacular, California Grill. I love Sanaa for the menu, and I adore all things AKL, but it just does not have the wow factor of California Grill.

3 Likes

I’ve eaten at all of your options. They’re all quite different. CRT is the worst for food quality. But it’s a fun experience. My son was 15 when we went and the Princesses made a huge fuss over him. I’m not sure he liked it - but it was really funny for the rest of my family.
CG is my top choice from your list. The food can be hit and miss, but you can’t beat the atmosphere. I’d consider Jiko. It’s the best food in WDW IMO. I’d certainly pick it or CG for a celebration meal. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I went to Cali Grill for the first time in December based off recommendations from here. I’m so glad I listened. We were celebrating our anniversary. It was unbelievable!! The food was amazing, the atmosphere was outstanding and being able to watch HEA was breathtaking. I was so happy I cried up there. (please don’t make fun of me :sweat_smile:)

So I’d go with California Grill :joy:

5 Likes

@Tate - I love the idea of the game! Awesome idea. He was totally into the planning the last time we went, when he was 9, but he’s a grumpy, grunting 16 year old now… (not really that bad, but sometimes - lol)

1 Like

@Disneydaddio - my son likes attention from girls, and I’m thinking he might like this, but he will act cool. When he was 5 he loved Ariel, and was speechless when she came to our table in Disneyland. He had absolutely no trouble talking with and interacting with all of the other characters he came across on our whole trip. We still tease him about this…

Love AJ as well as Tom Bricker on Disney Tourist Blog

1 Like

Maybe you can do 2 :slight_smile: Sanaa at lunch so you can see animals. If you are there on a Sunday, cali grill brunch if phenomenal and you can go back at night for fireworks viewing. The rest I have not done

1 Like

Agree. I was not really impressed with Le Cellier

1 Like

Taking my DS17 and DS14 there in a couple months and hope to have the same reaction!

3 Likes

I think CG is a great location for a celebration meal (thus I have an ADR for brunch there for my upcoming 50th birthday). Jiko is a fabulous restaurant as well (I know that wasn’t on your list, but it’s delicious).

3 Likes

You’re the second person to suggest Jiko. I’ll look it up.

Impeccable service. Amazing food. A real dining experience IMO.

2 Likes

California Grill. The watch HEA from the terrace. Jiko would be my second choice. Those are my 2 fav WDW restaurants.

3 Likes