Cedar point?

In the last week of August, when kids are back to school. We are driving to Kings Island and then to Cedar Point, this is our first visit to any of those parks, we are staying offsite around 14 minutes away from the parks, unless we find a good deal at the Breakers.

We did the math and by upgrading our 2020 already purchased, Canada’s Wonderland season pass to a platinum season pass, we will be able to get the early morning hour at Cedar Point and the early morning half an hour at Kings Island, plus parking is included at both parks. After one visit to each park, the upgraded portion that we paid for the platinum pass pays its self, plus we are planing to do 2 days at Kings Island and 2 1/2 or 3 at Cedar Point. 1 day at each park with Queue Quick Unlimited.

To Kings Island we will be arriving at the hotel on the Friday, by that time of the year Kings Island only will open on weekends, so we are doing Saturday with no Quick Queue, so we get to know the park and then on Sunday, that should be less busy, with Quick Queue Unlimited, to ride as much as we can with less lines.

To Cedar Point we will be arriving on a Monday around lunch time, so we will just go to the park to get a sense of where everything is and we may be able to do some rides. Then the next day we will be doing Quick Queue Unlimited the whole day, and the next day just hope for the best and if the park get’s too busy we can just leave the park, and come back at night. The next day we do the early morning hour again and around 11 start heading home.

We don’t want to do any rough or boring rollercoasters, so these are the lists of the ones we are planning to do per park, based on youtube videos opinions:

Cedar Point

GateKeeper (Good)
Maverick (Great/Better in the Front or near the Front, a bit rough in the back)
Millennium Force (Great)
Steel Vengeance (Great/Smooth/Fast)
Rougarou (Ok)
Top Thrill Dragster (Great/Fast)
Valravn (Great/Fast)

Kings Island

Adventure Express (ok/Nice ride through the forest)
Banshee (Great/Smooth)
Backlot Stunt Coaster (ok)
Diamondback (Great/Smooth Great Night Ride)
Firehawk (Good)
Flight of Fear (Enjoyable but a bit shaky)
Mystic Timbers (Wooden but good)
The Bat (ok/ a bit Boring)
The Beast (Rough but nice forest ride/Great Night Ride)

Does it sounds like a good plan? Should I change any thing? Should I remove or add any rides on those lists?

Thanks!

If you want to avoid rough, maybe avoid Rougarou at Cedar Point. My whole family found that it knocked us around a lot and there was no way we would go on it again.

2 Likes

Thanks rebeecky, I just removed it from my list.

Yeah. It is kind of hit/miss depending on where you sit. It isn’t a great ride, though, so missing it isn’t a huge loss.

Adventure Express is fun, but kind of jerky, as opposed to rough.

The Beast is AWESOME. But it is also EXTREMELY rough. You tend to come off of it with a headache. Yet, it is just insanely fun. But if you want to avoid rough, you might want to skip it. Tip: When the sign says keep your hands down after the second lift hill, they mean it. I always put my hands up for other coasters and first half of Beast, but the clearance as you enter the tunnels is EXTREMELY small, so don’t for the second half. The sign isn’t really a recommendation, but a unenforced mandate.

Thanks ryan1, I guess we have to do the Beast and endure the roughness just to have a taste of the fun :slight_smile:

Do them all in CP! They all have their place. I can see skipping Rougarou if you are a bit nervous about a rough ride - the Raptor would be a good test. The Iron Dragon is for sure a bit boring, unless they are doing the weird VR thing in which case maybe do it for the weird novelty. The corkscrew can go up in flames for all O care.

Thanks cjandres, For us is not really about fear of rides being uncomfortable, is more about not wanting to waste our time with something that is not going to be a great ride experience. Our local park have around 17 coasters an we only do 3 of them, one Giga Coaster, one Dive Coaster and one Hyper Coaster, we already tried all the other ones, so we have a sense to what is an uncomfortable or a boring ride.

I can’t imagine not riding Magnum XL200. It was the #1 steel coaster for a full decade (even beating Millennium Force in 2000) for a reason.

Yes, it’s rough but the airtime in the second half is really great. If you ride with one foot braced forward and one braced under to keep your butt from hitting the seat hard (like posting, if you ride horses) then it’s much more enjoyable. The same goes for Beast. Oh, and hold on after the second hill on Magnum… the turnaround is really the roughest part.

1 Like

Oh so fun. Love Magnum! Gemini and Blue Streak are my other two not great but favorites. :heart_eyes:

Love Gemini as long as they are racing them. When they only run one side, it is still fun, but loses some of the excitement.

Definitely a great, fun little ride even if still a bit rough. But it is supposed to be. It is the only woodie in the park!

It is a ride that certainly is both iconic (looping over the midway), but just well beyond it’s years. Trouble is, the plot of land it sits on is very small/narrow, making it difficult for them to replace it with anything else, so it remains. Perhaps if they moved some of the adjacent rides like Matterhorn or Scrambler they could replace it with a small, compact coaster akin to Maverick or something and still go over the midway, etc.

I miss the Wildcat - and yes, though I hate the corkscrew (reluctantly ride it) - it is super pretty and iconic

I also miss Wildcat, but it was a maintenance and operations headache.

1 Like

Based strictly on appearance, they seem far nicer. The beds were the stuff of nightmares.

Steel Vengeance is the best. Just wanted to say that. :slight_smile:

Did you ever ride it as Mean Streak? Insane transformation.

I loved one of the advertising slogans they did. “Steel Vengeance Underneath, there’s a mean streak!”

Incredibly so. I was expecting SV to be a big improvement, but I wasn’t expecting it to be quite possibly the best coaster I’ve ever been on.

1 Like