Casey's reopening soon?

Ooh hot dog!

(and a hair cut!)

6 Likes

While I have walked through Casey’s (when not busy, it is easy to meander through while shopping) but haven’t ever purchased food from there. I guess growing up in the NYC metropolitan area has given me a blasĂ© attitude towards grabbing a hot dog since they were on practically every street corner.

To be honest, with so many other food choices a hot dog isn’t high on my list of must haves while at WDW.

(I will note, as a NYer a corn dog doesn’t sound appetizing at all, so they aren’t selling points.)

3 Likes

It’s not the food. It’s the whole experience.

2 Likes

Wonder if Disney Jim will be back, tickling the ivories.

I certainly hope so because that’s half the experience too.

If he isn’t, I’ll pull him up on YouTube :wink:

2 Likes

I asked my DH why Casey’s is his only must-do restaurant in the MK, and he said, “It’s the hot dog in a turn-of-the-century shrine to baseball with some guy playing ragtime on the piano while you gaze at the castle and watch the masses stroll by experience.” Shoot! Sniffle!!!

So can’t wait to get there. Just 81 more days!

5 Likes

See? He gets it.

1 Like

Ah, maybe it is the baseball thing then. I am a hockey girl.

2 Likes

What do you do in summer? I am a hockey girl too, but I love me some baseball. Such a pretty sport (at least for those teams not playing in a dome)

OK. This makes me wonder why I’ve never been there.

3 Likes

I don’t care two hoots about any sport. But I just wanna hear Jim play the piano.

I need more consistent action in my sports viewing than baseball (or football) can provide. :slight_smile: The baseball games that I have attended had so much down time I would end up doing something else (chatting, get food, reading, etc) and would miss the 10 seconds of action once it happened. I have attended more football than baseball games because of marching band, but they are equally lacking in the level of action required to keep my attention.

We are active alumni/supporters/volunteers/parents involved in the drum & bugle corps activity which keeps us busy most of the summer
in normal times. In the summer of 2019 I volunteered for 10 days on the road w/ my daughter’s drum corps with the team that cooked 4+ meals a day for ~200 people out of a tractor trailer refitted as a rolling kitchen. I was scheduled to volunteer again last summer before everything was cancelled. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Oooh! Which corps? I was in one for a couple of months my freshman year of high school before I realized I wasn’t quite ready for the experience yet. I never went back to it, but I was the drum captain my senior year of high school in our band. Marching still has a very big place in my heart. I did indoor guard as well.

Dh and I are old. :upside_down_face: We met while marching in the Crossmen back when they were still in PA. I also marched in St Ignatius Girls, Long Island Kingsmen, and the Bridgemen before marching Crossmen.

My dd has been playing cymbals in indoor drum line for 7 years. No indoor this year, and she has two more left. She has plans to audition with Cap City in the fall. Dd marched with Jersey Surf’s cymbal line in 2019 and was contracted for 2020. They aren’t fielding a corps this summer, but I expect she will be back there next year.

We are a three generation drum corps family. My parents met when they marched (in separate corps because boys and girls couldn’t march together back in the late 50s/early 60s!), my two siblings (Cadets & Crossmen) and I racked up over 25 years in DCI, my dh marched DCI and DCA, and our dd marched DCA (Fusion Core) and DCI (Surf).

Oh, I’m jealous of your family heritage there! I was the first in my family to even attempt corps. My mom played saxophone in school, but that’s about it. When I was allowed to choose an instrument for school band, they told me that since I had braces, all I could play was flute or drums. I played drums for 9 years, bless my poor parents!

So Jersey Surf was actually the corps I was in, for a few months in the winter/spring of 1993. It was a wild experience for me. I think, under different circumstances, I would’ve continued. But it was a weird thing with my instructor who drove us all there and was actually having a relationship with one of the students. So
yeah. It was a little too much for my freshman brain to handle. The guy who gave me lessons was a real professional, though, and he marched with Cadets back in the day. I think he had been hopeful that I would do the same. I just didn’t have the drive.

1 Like