Carry On Only

Like I said, these are new ticket types, introduced this year. What I think of as standard tickets still include your hold luggage. In fact, when I traveled with carry-on only I was entitled to check in 70 lb worth of luggage, which is probably why the staff were a little surprised…

The new tickets might be true for international, but standard Domestic US doesn’t hasn’t had free hold luggage for a long time, unless you’re part of a special program. In which case it’s not standard, it’s special. :smile: At least on the airlines I fly- American United and Delta. Southwest doesn’t come up here.

For instance, if you have a Delta Amex, United Chase or fly First Class. I’m not sure even Economy plus has free luggage anymore. So the luggage thing really is getting to be costly, no matter how it’s priced.

But my point is, I won’t do it even if it IS included in my ticket, except on the way back.

It’s clear that you don’t live in the UK! I assume you can get sunblock on prescription if you’re allergic to the sun. Just because you’re going on holiday to Florida? Not a chance. They have very strict budgets and in this last year they have taken a lot of common drugs that people need for serious illnesses off the prescribable list, as well as stopping doing a number of medical procedures on the NHS.

I guess it might be possible to get a private prescription. But for what it would cost, you could probably buy a bath-full of sun cream.

I didn’t think it would be paid for, but he could get the note. That doesn’t cost anything. I’m thinking the biggest stumbling block would be actually finding a paper prescription pad! :smile: The written prescription is for airport security, not for the NHS or for one’s insurance company, as the case may be.

Yeah that would be a private prescription so it would definitely cost. I may be wrong but I think they can still only prescribe things that are licensed for medical use, though they have less restrictions than the NHS. And our prescriptions are printed off - not a paper pad but you’ve still got it in your hand to take away, if you’ve actually seen the doctor in person.

Well here, you can prescribe all kinds of things, whether or not anyone is obligated to fulfill the request/pay for it is completely up to their terms of service. The TSA’s terms are pretty clear, though. And it typically doesn’t cost anything if you have a doctor who knows you, they’ll just do it because it’s not a big deal. And sunburn can be very serious.

It’s a little like emotional support animals, but that’s a much stickier issue.

If one is a disabled person these differences between Europe and the US can really be quite consequential when one travels. But that’s a story for another day.

I’ve done carry on only without kids. Wednesday to Monday–5 nights. Packing cubes were a must. Also used a back pack as my personal item. Had travel size toiletries.

I find the wheeled spinner carry ons have less room than the two wheeled ones or ones without wheels. Maybe look at a back pack that is the maximum size allowed, plus a personal item (or whatever the airline allows). That way, you maximize your space and you’re not leaving 3 inches (7.5cms) of your allowance on the bottom for wheels and air.

1 Like

What a good idea.

1 Like

Rollerboards have an additional advantage over spinners- if you get a sturdy one you can put a toddler on it and tow it rapidly through the airport. We did this MANY MANY times with our ancient Eddie Bauer roller boards.:grin: Those were sturdy old things- the last one finally died last year. It had a lock that was pre-TSA on it, that’s how well those old pre-spinner rollies held up.

Spinners are a relatively “new” invention and although convenient, you’re right, the 360 degree space needed for the 4 wheels to spin freely means a loss of packing space. My new one is super light, though I wish I had gotten a new rollerboard instead.

Actually you would be surprised what can be (technically) prescribed. Anything that is not on the ‘black list’ is NHS prescribable and that is only a couple of pictures. However a doctor can be questioned and they could face sanctions if there isn’t seen to be a good reason. I’ve seen a few scripts for sun cream in my time but they were for those who were allergic to regular or if needed because someone is very sensitive to the sun (some drugs can cause this). If it was done as a private script the doctor would likely charge plus the dispensing pharmacy would add a mark up on the cost price (hopefully they would mention if it could be bought for cheaper but you wouldn’t get a dispensing label that way).
Side note re the black list- it is only the specific wording on the list that is banned. For example a doctor cannot prescribe Benilyn. They can however prescribe it generically and since there is no generic that matches exactly, the pharmacy will dispense the brand anyway

I wouldn’t be surprised, I used to work for the Prescription Pricing Authority, I’ve seen it all too. But I would be surprised if a doctor prescribed an cream just for somebody to be able to take it on the plane with them because they didn’t want to check a bag. Especially on the NHS, we struggle to get our doctors to prescribe anything.

It’s just a case of finding the right one sometimes. We had a doctor here who almost killed someone due to his willingness to prescribe. He was allowed to retire and all we heard for weeks was how sad it was that the only doctor who ‘listened’ was gone. Plus we have a pt who is very… insistent and her doctor’s have shown they are willing to write pretty much anything on a script to get rid of her. We actually had to put in a safeguarding complaint about it

They sound like the wrong doctors not the right ones! Though I suppose it depends on your point of view.

I think I’ve decided not to use carry-on only this time. You’ve got to weigh the hassle of dragging your stuff around the airport and fighting for locker space on the plane (and limitations in what you can carry) with the delay of waiting for bags on arrival.

My flight is scheduled to arrive at 4pm and DAH starts at 8.30pm. I don’t think waiting at the baggage carousel is going to be the difference between making it or missing it.

So this time I’m voting for easier time at the departure airport and on the plane.

4 Likes

There’s also the spectre of delayed or lost luggage. That’s actually my biggest concern. My family consists of tall and/or skinny people who are really hard to fit, plus I have expensive tastes. DH had his suitcase stolen in Ireland and it was a nightmare finding clothes, but at least they didn’t get my shoes. :grin:

But I’m sure you won’t end up like THESE people: http://honesttopaws.com/unclaimed-baggage-hc-htp/?as=2100012766384&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=unclaimed-baggage-hc-htp_htp_us_english_desktop_c10_t5_v20181026_l_1_rj_0_prl1030_honest_to_paws_-_sunday&utm_term=34501840703&utm_content=aIuNn_v.BTvDeiQ–&bdk=a2100012766384&ch=bt

The missile guidance system is my fav.

And this is why I always have one outfit in carry on if travelling alone or, if with a friend, some of my things in their suitcase and theirs in mine. That way if one goes missing there’s always something to wear until replacements can be sorted

3 Likes

Oh, that’s a trick we always used to use before our carryon-only days! In fact I was just looking at some old packing lists and it explicitly says in there to split up the clothes. :grinning: It actually did come in handy because we traveled with SO much luggage it was more like an expedition than a trip- the five of us, a nanny and all the kid gear. Twice we left luggage at the airport!

While we didn’t pack extra outfits in our carryons once they got out of toddlerhood, the one thing we always would pack in a carryon when going to a warm climate were the swimsuits. I mean, we could survive with what we were wearing but to not have a swimsuit on arrival in HI or FL- that would be a downright tragedy!

1 Like