Carry on only any tips?

I hate baggage claim so we are doing carry ons only for our week long trip in June. Turns out we mostly packed food in our checked baggage so delivery takes care of that. Any tips when just bringing carry ons?

1 Like

Use packing cubes.

2 Likes

thanks! fun upgrade from the usual ziplock bags!

1 Like

If you don’t already roll your clothes that really helps reduce the amount of space they take up in your luggage. I always stick the rolls in between the handle tracks in the base of the suitcase first to make a solid base and build from there. Usually pants in the base and everything else in packing cubes on top. Also limit the amount of shoes you bring since they are bulky. I usually wear sneakers on the plane and then pack flip flops and maybe 1 other pair in my bag.

5 Likes

I do carry on only as well. I use spacesaver vacuum bags, but the kind you roll to get the air out. they give me at least a third more space.

3 Likes

I found that I don’t need as many clothes as I once thought, so I plan each day, with one day extra for surprises. Also, I will plan on doing a load of laundry one day during pool time. And lastly, I wear a photo vest with pockets that can hold a few days of socks and under clothes.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to ration your liquids! Since you’re doing grocery delivery, you may want to see if they carry any of your typical toiletries that you can’t / don’t want to put in 3 oz bottles.

2 Likes

I’m sure you’ll thank me for this one…layers! It feels brilliant in that summer Florida chill… :joy:

Seriously, I got nothing. #packsallthethings

9 Likes

nice…i had actually watched videos and practiced for our cancelled trip…might need a refresher…it feels like 9 years ago!

1 Like

omg! i should totally get a photo vest!

thanks for that! i decided to fill up 3oz bottles with sunscreen and have all other liquids delivered! thank you!

1 Like

I only ever travel with a carry on for myself, regardless of whether it’s for a week or a weekend. I’ve been burned by lost/delayed luggage too many times. Personally, I use a medium 46L Osprey duffel, which I swear by. Yes, it’s harder to lug around than a rollaboard carry-on with wheels, but you can always fit the duffel in the overhead by squishing it, even on tiny regional jets.

2 Likes

This reminds me of a Sprint airlines story. My work buddy was talking to a friend who asked for advice about flying Sprint without checked luggage. He told her “Anne Frank it”. He meant pack the flip-flops and wear your bulkiest shoes and coat. Instead she basically did like the photo only she filled the many pockets with socks and underwear. She was flagged at security Me, “Who could have predicted that?”
TSA guy asked her “Why are you so puffy?”
Her, “Sprint”
TSA, “Oh” in an of course tone.

5 Likes

I did carry on only for a 10 day trip to China, without the packing cubes. Just wear your bulkiest items and really think about what you will not need.

2 Likes

I generally do a carry on and a backpack. The backpack also holds a couple of smaller park bags, all my chargers, all electronics, and a change of clothes. I have a pretty small Travel Pro carry on that seems to hold more than other bags.

1 Like

Shoes are one of the biggest problems with carry on. Wear your bulkiest shoes to save space.

1 Like

Pre-pandemic I traveled for work, often internationally, and only with a carry on.

My biggest piece of advice is to use every single piece of space. I store socks and undies in shoes. I shove jammies and workout clothes (things that can get super wrinkled) in nooks and crannies (between gaps of my folded clothes and the edge of the suitcase and around non compressible items).

Since you can only have 3 oz or less toiletries in a ziplock, if you don’t have precheck, I recommend carrying it in your personal item for easy access (for me it’s a backpack).

I also carry paper laundry soap in case I need to wash something while traveling.

I have an Away suitcase now and so half of the suitcase has a side that has a compression piece which has been awesome.

(I do not use packing cubes and don’t understand the appeal.)

1 Like

Thanks everyone!!! My 12 year old considers herself a minimalist (our house begs to differ) so she is totally on board!

3 Likes

Consider doing a load of laundry as well. I packed all 3 of my kids in one carry on bag the past few years and did a few loads of laundry. With the extra space in my bag we had plenty of room for the souvenirs.

my problem is never the clothing/space issue in my suitcase, it’s the damn 3-1-1 rule. It’s so infuriating Does everyone just buy their toiletries once they’re at the hotel? I just can’t come to terms with paying the high delivery cost (plus now the hotel handling fee) for toiletries to have them delivered. :frowning:

8 Likes