Captain Matt’s probably live trip report — “I didn’t want to go to Disney World anyway”

I definitely don’t tag everyone every day. It’s all good.

4 Likes

I’m really looking forward to your trip report, and hope that you will be able to give one. @missoverexcited had terrible WiFi on her trip.

4 Likes

As I occasionally have to explain to my students, the more I like someone, the nastier I am to them. It’s a British thing. It’s part of the rich tapestry of our culture.

Or maybe it’s just a me thing and part of the rich tapestry of my not-entirely-healthy mental, er, health.

If I’m nice to someone like the weirdos in the daily thread are, it means I hold them in utter contempt. If I’m nice to a student, it means I think they’re irredeemably stupid. I’m brutal to the Oxford and Cambridge types. And at no extra charge.

18 Likes

At least you got that right. :joy::woman_shrugging:t2::ship:

2 Likes

That is an amazing cabin location. I love hearing about cruises and I am looking forward to hearing all about the ship (and the food).

5 Likes

I don’t think this is weird really. My family teases me a lot and that’s okay because I know they love me. If someone I don’t know attacks me personally, it’s upsetting. I think it’s probably pretty normal psychology. Like only those we know and love can we be mean to (which I really call teasing) and vice versa because at the end of the day we know they love/like us.

4 Likes

I very much want to try MSC when the world is normal-er.

1 Like

I think it’s also part of the famous British reserve. We don’t like people getting too close to us. I’m suspicious of people who are nice to me. What do they want?

5 Likes

So you’re saying the sixth love language is asshole?

8 Likes

This American is 100% with you.

1 Like

Safe Travels, tea-drinking snobby person! I mean coffee drinking…

No. See? I can never pull it off.

5 Likes

The post I’m about to link talks about the difference between “nice” and “kind.”
It talks about it in East coast vs West coast terms, but I think it’s more subtle than that. I’ve lived all over the United States, North, South, East, and West. I keep coming home to NJ because the “nice vs kind” thing is very real to me. New Jersey people are known for being “rude and aggressive.” I think that’s misplaced to a degree. We’re a LOT more likely to be brutally honest, and words and actions don’t always match up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.upworthy.com/amp/nice-vs-kind-are-east-coast-people-better-than-west-coast-2650069685

8 Likes

Obligatory TWSS :sunglasses:

10 Likes

I feel like you may have posted this before?! I’ve definitely read it though. And it’s :100:. Connecticut raised girl here now residing in eastern PA….

(Also, @sanstitre_has_left_the_building have a great time on your cruise. You totally deserve it, youcranky wanker. I do hope you actually finish your trip report this time. (Checks watch. Still waiting on last year’s adventures…(

11 Likes

Can’t wait to follow along. Enjoy!

1 Like

I thoroughly enjoy your British nastiness, so I will follow this trip report even though I have no desire to go on a cruise. Also, I shared one of your memes from the Memes and Jokes thread with my best friends the other day, because I thought it was hilarious, and one of them replied, “Ummmm, are you ok?” :joy::joy::joy:

11 Likes

I probably have, but it seemed relevant to folks who bristle at @sanstitre_has_left_the_building’s dark humor.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say I bristle at his humor as much as I can’t help but juxtapose his disdain for American castles with his hankering to return to them.

1 Like

At the risk of explaining his humor too much (or presuming that you don’t get it), I think he mocks the American castle because he loves it so much and wants to go back, but can’t. So the juxtaposition is intentional on his part.

10 Likes

Yep.

4 Likes