Capacity Question

Can someone tell me what capacity WDW is currently operating under? (Are they back to 100%?) Kids were finally looking forward to the trip, but when I showed the family these photos, they don’t feel it’s safe to go right now with the delta variant. I guess I agree, based on what’s happening in Florida. Trip starts in 12 days.

3 Likes

No one really knows for sure since Disney doesn’t disclose those numbers usually. But keep in mind this is a rope drop crowd, the whole park isn’t this full all the time. Everyone’s just smushed into the front.

6 Likes

Liner heresy… I avoid RD right now b/c of the crowding.

4 Likes

Honestly, when I see those photos it makes me want to avoid RD.

4 Likes

You have to be a fast walker and in the front of the line to make it worth it. I’m not fast right now. :joy::joy:

3 Likes

It just doesn’t look fun to be smashed in that crowd in the heat.

3 Likes

ohhhh yuk… and the BO too :rofl::rofl::nauseated_face:

2 Likes

One thing to remember too is that while capacity may be limited, that limit very well could be the average attendance for that park. I think that’s exactly what is happening. So if capacity is 100k and they are running at 60%, but normal July crowds are 60k you wouldn’t notice any reduction in guests.

10 Likes

Also, having just been there a couple weeks ago, if you are covid hesitant I would not go. It may be better now that masks are required indoors again, but it was just like any other pre Covid day in the parks.

5 Likes

:nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Rope drop is to well-known now. Years ago it was an insider tip. Now the crowd starts packing in an hour before open. I plan on sleeping in, even after covid.

5 Likes

I think RD has always been a thing for ppl who are soooo excited to be there they-can’t-sleep-and-get-up-to-be-there-first-thing.

2 Likes

Those pictures give me anxiety. I was going to say I’ve never seen RD look like this. Even at HS when ROTR first opened. But now I realize it might be because I’m usually ahead of the pack. This was March 2020 ten days before shutdown. Perhaps the crowd behind me looked like those pics? :eyes:

4 Likes

Yep, we get there early to be in the front. I look behind me to see that size crowd. We aren’t super fast with kids, but it certainly helps us not to get stuck in the middle when we are in front. Not only that, we’ve had some great conversations with CM’s while we wait.

I’ve found most of the crowds tend to show up within 1/2 hour of rope drop.

2 Likes

I don’t rope drop. We aim to arrive about 10 -15 minutes after opening and find waits to still be low but without that insanity. That said, we use DAS, so our experience might not be the norm.

3 Likes

this is us too, but don’t really advertise it.

1 Like

I’m going at the end of August. Hopefully FL cases will be on the decline by then but even the crowds at least should be a little less. Not sure if I’m rope-dropping or not. I think I’m going to just play it by ear. I’m definitely not standing in a big crowd like that though. It’s not even about the Covid since it’s outdoors and I’m fully vaccinated, crowds like that are just ugh. :joy:

2 Likes

Going to be a different experience when I got next month. Not staying on-site, so come Oct 1 - no point in rope-dropping….and I have always been a rope dropper.

We’ll have one last hurrah at AK & DHS…then it’s likely sleep in/be a night owl :joy:

2 Likes

Our trip starts Friday, we have been avid rope droppers over the years, but I’m thinking HS will be the only park I will make an effort to get us there well before opening time. Hopefully, we can get FOP done at close on our second day

1 Like

I think the lack of FPP is making rope drop a lot worse than it used to be. Because if people want to “guarantee” a headliner, they now feel like it’s their only option for doing so.

5 Likes