Canceling and rebooking airfare

I’m not sure which category to put this question under so I’ll put it here under WDW.

The price of my flights on American went down by $250. I know there’s a newish rule that says if I cancel, the airline has to give me in credit the value I paid for those tickets. If I cancel, can I just rebook under today’s fares and keep the difference as a credit towards future flights with American? Does it work like that or am I oversimplifying how it would actually work? Thanks!

2 Likes

I don’t use American Airlines. However, for SouthWest you don’t have to “cancel” all you have to do is “change” your flight. When you go to your flight date and/or time you’ll see all the prices as either an additional cost or a negative amount meaning a credit will be applied to your account on a future flight.

Maybe see if there’s a “change” option so you don’t have to do the extra steps

From there I can pick the same or another flight and I’ll see the price differences

1 Like

Thanks, Darkmite. I know SW makes it super easy. I think the other airlines were forced into this through a law change earlier this year. I’m assuming they’ve found a way to tack on extra fees somehow.

On another note, I just realized it’s even lower if I fly home the next day. I’ll “save money” by staying an extra night (and paying for another day’s hotel, food, entertainment, etc.)

2 Likes

Spoken like a true Liner. :grin:

7 Likes

I thought the new rule only applies if there are “significant changes” to the flight? I don’t think they have to do anything about price differences, or if you choose to cancel.

4 Likes

For AA, it depends on what fare type you book. The basic fare type does not allow changes or cancellations. For a little more, they will allow you to modify or cancel for flight credit. A higher fare type allows you to cancel for cash back rather than just flight credit.

So I would look in your confirmation email and see what fare type you purchased and what the terms are.

8 Likes

Delta is pretty much the same.

The fare we usually book is the one up from most basic. It is “nonrefundable”, but you can cancel it for credit. So…if the fare happens to go down, you could cancel and rebook at the lower fare. (Perhaps modify…never tried to see if works that way.)

But, in general, Delta’s prices don’t tend to drop. The sooner you book, the lower the fare…and as you get closer to the date, fares go up, not down. (I’m sure there are exceptions.)

6 Likes

Before the new law, the basic fare for SW flights were all non-refundable. I got hosed on that more than once. Now, you can change or cancel your flights on SW for any reason and get a credit.

Good luck!!

3 Likes

I have found a fare decrease with Delta exactly once recently, last year on a flight to Mexico. It only went down $70/ticket but I rebooked. We don’t usually get to take advantage anyway, as we tend to book the cheapest fares that aren’t refundable. But for that one we had main cabin.

@SecondFavoriteDuck I agree with what Jeff said. Check your booking receipt and see what terms it sets for the fare rules. If you can change or cancel without wiping out the potential savings, it could be worth looking into.

4 Likes

Spirit just changed their policy to that as well.

3 Likes

I think the answer here is, it depends. Assuming you bought a basic economy, non-refundable AA ticket, here is there answer:

2 Likes

This is the way!

We flew Spirit in March. Has it been after this? I didn’t mind Spirit honestly. I found them similar to SW as far as service. What sets SW apart for me is the no hassle change, cancel, get credit back for flight changes. I’m ok if I have to take a credit instead of cash back. What I dont like is losing my money all together.

2 Likes

Yes… it was just near the end of May.

1 Like

Thanks! I may have to give them another look on our next flights.

Thanks, y’all. You led me to the answer. It appears with my basic economy tickets I’d face a $99 fee per ticket to cancel and then rebook. I’ll keep my tickets just as they are. Thanks for the guidance, everyone.

4 Likes

I did this last year with American. A couple months before our trip the price dropped $200 so I was able to cancel, got a trip credit, then used the credit to rebook the flights. I had booked main cabin. This does not work if you booked basic economy.
I had leftover credit so we used that to book our flights this year.

4 Likes

It does work with basic economy if you AA platinum status!

1 Like

Good to know. Thanks!

1 Like