Canceled Southwest flights and refunds

I’ve done too but didn’t this time.

3 Likes

Thank you. That’s good to know. I didn’t know Chessie had issues too :frowning:

6 Likes

Definitely, but there is a lot more leg room. I wouldn’t mind taking another trip on one if I don’t have to ride coach.

5 Likes

Her flight was canceled on Christmas Eve. :frowning: Only way we got her home (and it was a miracle!) was a Buddy pass from my friend who works for Alaska. Saturday was incredibly stressful so I can definitely relate to your saga today!

4 Likes

Wow. That’s awful. I’m so glad it worked out. I usually like SW but what they’ve done to people is not cool!

7 Likes

Train to Chicago is sold out. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

@JustKeepSmiling my understanding is that if SW cancels one leg of your flight they automatically cancel your return flight if you booked a round trip. They did this to us once and I have never booked round trip since. They made me rebook our return flight at a higher cost than we initially paid. I’m requesting Uber costs, hotel costs and delta flight costs (although I’m sure hell will have to freeze over).

4 Likes

If you were interested in attending the liner meet between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2023, you might be able to get a roomette for a decent price. Currently Amtrak is only booking out to nearly Thanksgiving. The roomette is approx $260. One train had only 4 (of I think 20) left. Booking early is like rope drop.

4 Likes

So far Chessie’s return flight is not canceled. Her flight home that was canceled was Christmas Eve. :woman_shrugging:t2: Of course, that could change in the coming days. I’m also not sure, now that you mention it, if I booked as two one-way flights or round-trip.

7 Likes

Just a heads up that they just posted this: Travel Disruption | Southwest Airlines

4 Likes

It looks the same as the one shared earlier. Is it the refund form or is there another update?

2 Likes

Hmmm I didn’t see one shared earlier, but it does direct you to the refund form. It also tells you how to request reimbursement for additional expenses in the FAQs.

2 Likes

I just wanted to let you know, JustKeepSmiling, that I’m thinking of you and your family and hoping this all works out for you. Hugs.

3 Likes

Thank you for the heads up in this. It prompted me to call SW. At 4:30 am this morning the wait was only 30 minutes.

We are still on the return flight for Saturday morning. The rep claims the shut downs this week are to ensure that Saturday is back to normal. I so want to believe her :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

I have expensive but refundable tickets on American for Saturday evening and I’ll extend the rental car if need be. We are not great road trippers though and being not even half way there yet, I can’t imagine the return trip on Saturday. Traffic is brutal.

They separated out the family of my pastor and processed their refunds too. I need a backup refundable flight for him which will be even more expensive this morning than it was last night but I don’t think he would have appreciated me calling him last night at midnight for his birthday so I could book his flight :crazy_face:

I’m behind on your trip report but saw that you too had your flights cancelled. I’m so sorry.

8 Likes

It didn’t seem to matter that I booked a round trip, at least in this circumstance. We are still on the return flight.

4 Likes

I am so sorry to hear all this. I don’t have anything to add but truly hope everything works out for you. Both my boys were delayed coming home and one did not make it till after Christmas. I hoping they will be able to leave without any issues. Good luck

6 Likes

Thank you :heart:.

What a bummer your one son didn’t make it home. I hope you have been able to enjoy the abbreviated time you have with them and they make it home easier. When are supposed to fly home?

5 Likes

One is leaving Friday, the other will be here till 1/2

4 Likes

This is also helpful when you get refunds or points back when an airfare drops. I got $40 flight credit for 1 way on a SW flight for March. The other 1 way increased $20 since I booked. So I would only have gotten $20 back if I would have booked round trip. Not a lot but I check often and have gotten a good chunk back over the years. SW issues travel funds for the future but I’m ok with that.

2 Likes

That now never expire so it truly is okay. As long as they don’t now go out of business

3 Likes