Canceled Southwest flights and refunds

I’m hoping someone can help me figure out how to deal with SW.

Our daughter is getting married Friday and our flights from Providence to Chicago for tomorrow morning were canceled. We have rented a car and are making the horrendous drive out of the northeast and hope that by Saturday they have their s*** together so we can fly home.

I want a refund for the cancelled flight tomorrow but if I go online to cancel, it only allows me the option of cancelling the entire round trip flight. I’ve been unable to call. They immediately hang up on you.

Can I just let it alone for now or do I need to deal with it before the original flight time tomorrow? I think we will have to request a refund rather than getting one automatically but I absolutely want my money back.

Additionally, our pastor and his family were to be on the same flights with us. I found one seat on another airline for him but the rest of his family is staying home now. We really need to cancel all of it for his wife and son but keep Saturday’s return flight home in case it isn’t canceled. I’m not sure how to do any of this without calling but of course, they aren’t answering. Their flights are on my credit card. If I’m able to get through will they even talk to me?

Any information anyone has is much appreciated. Thank you.

8 Likes

On the website there is a link to send an email and request refund. Let me see if I can find it again. Don’t even waste your time calling.

It’s bad enough that they cancel people’s flight, but they also make you go through all this crap to get refund or flights rebooked. Ugh!

6 Likes

I don’t think you have to deal with this immediately.

ETA: I wouldn’t request the refund until after the return flight, just to be safe.

6 Likes
2 Likes

That page has the form to request a refund and should also have the answer to all your questions. They even say something like “please don’t call us” somewhere

2 Likes

Thank you. I saw that form but didn’t read all of the details. I knew that was what I’d have to do to get a refund. I’m just not sure how to manage it all since I’m wanting to keep the return flight for Saturday.

2 Likes

Can you wait to request the refund after the return flight? I can see they cancelling the whole trip, not just one arm.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m hoping to do. I messaged them on Facebook but only got an automated response.

I did see that you can request reimbursement for other, reasonable, travel expenses in that link you put. I think I’ll be giving that a try!

5 Likes

@JustKeepSmiling

I just checked Amtrak for Chicago to Providence. The trains are currently 90% full. $232/adult coach one way. Change in DC.

This is the Capitol Ltd. May depart too late for supper but breakfast is great on the train. :smile:

5 Likes

I had a thought that was so many flight cancellations, and rental cars deficiencies that were gonna go back to travelling by train! We really should have invested in more trains like Eurasia.

*Also, ironically SWA is responsible for killing a fast train in Texas. Thanks again SWA. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

I’m requesting reimbursement for $60 I spent taking Uber to / from the airport.

I wish I could charge for the time wasted in the airport and my day of work

6 Likes

About a month ago my sister was looking at flights for Thursday to Austin, return on 4 January. Prices were more than she wanted to spend. Over $500/p one way. Flight cancelations weren’t even on our radar.

So l checked Amtrak, as I do. $232/p round trip. Of course the trip takes nearly 24 hours. But no changing trains. Go to the bathroom any time you want. Have a wine or beer - someone else is driving.

As @SirGreggLadyV will tell you, train travel can be dreadfully uncomfortable. But then that’s my take on air travel. :smile:

7 Likes

I watch a couple of travel channels on Youtube. Their take-away on trains: freight trains get priority on the tracks so passenger trains get delayed. It’s a good way to travel, but build in some wiggle room as you can’t guarantee what time you’ll arrive.

3 Likes

Just watched Pete Buttigieg speaking to Judy Woodruff on the Newshour.

He says use the form on SW’s website (which was shared here) for refunds, etc. He said SW (and other airlines) indicated to the govt what their plan was for customers. He said the govt will be holding the airlines accountable. If you’ve used the form on the airline’s site and still are unhappy, the Dept of Transportation has a form on their website and they will help you.

@JustKeepSmiling, this sounds a tho you’ll get something eventually.

8 Likes

Absolutely!

The Amtrak contract provides for Amtrak’s right of way as long as Amtrak is on time. Once Amtrak falls behind, the freights have right of way. Except in the NE where Amtrak owns their own lines.

In our family we call Amtrak “on time” if its arrival is within 24 hours of scheduled arrival. :smile:

Travel became so uneventful during the 2000s we almost wanted to ask for our money back.

3 Likes

This won’t help you now but I book each leg of my flight separately. That way if I need to cancel or reschedule one way it can be done online instead of calling. Good luck getting to the wedding.

6 Likes

@JustKeepSmiling I know it’s nothing you have time for, but we were going to have Chessie go talk to an agent at the airport since you couldn’t reach SWA by phone. Since we are beyond her cancellation, I’m asking her to see if the return flight still shows in her account. I’ll let you know!

10 Likes

Absolutely!!

5 Likes

Chessie’s return flight is still showing on her account. Hopefully, by the time she needs to go back, the have their act together! She hasn’t done anything yet, but we plan to ask for a refund of that portion of the flight.

5 Likes

Thank you for looking at that for me. I never thought to check trains. We already left and are driving.

7 Likes