Cancel onsite reservation, fastpass?

We scored decent airfare for when the kids are off school in November(Jersey week) a few weeks ago and jumped on it. When we went to book our resort there were no value or moderates available and we were hoping to keep costs down because we took an Alaskan cruise this summer and this was a last minute add on trip. I wound up booking a, room only, Wilderness Cabin (there are 6 of us… my family of 5 plus my sister) in hopes that 2 values would open up. It was 58 days prior to trip so i wanted to get something on the books so i could do our fastpasses. Fastpasses were done and as a backup plan I booked offsite rooms in case the availability didnt open up for the values. In the meantime we kind of wrapped our heads around staying off site( which we have never done before). My husband has marriott points and the hotel cost will be minimal. Then of course i scored two rooms at ASMovies. We have been back and forth the last week on what to do. I think we have finally decided to save the money and stay offsite. My 30 day is Monday. I realize when i cancel my room i will lose my previously booked fastpasses. I was thinking of canceling tomorrow and then start doing my new fastpasses each morning this week. I have seen that there is some lag time before the fastpasses cancel, so if i go on on monday morning and my fastpasses have not been canceled yet, can i cancel them and rebook new ones and they will be ok? Sorry this is so long… but i just want to make sure that i dont go throught the trouble of making new 30 day fastpasses and somehow lose them anyway. Thanks for any help

I think if you cancel when you’re inside 30 days (for all your days) you won’t lose them. I’m not sure anybody actually has lost them.

I bet @Nicky_S will know for sure.

Please report back what you find.

1 Like

If you cancel you will get a warning they will drop off even inside the 30 days. Best thing to do is a Backside of magic tip, wait until every day is passed day 30. Cancel the resort and that night when most people are not booking 2-3am. “Rebook” your FP, dropping and rebooking ASAP. Therefore “cleansing” the FP.

2 Likes

Hmmm…I don’t have FOP, 7 dwarfs, or slinky dog so I am not too worried about losing what I have and rebooking I just want to be proactive and book them at 30 days rather then randomly losing them later and not being able to get anything. Thanks for the advice…still a little unsure of the best way

1 Like

If this is the case then cancel you reservation now. Book at 30 days like normal.

2 Likes

We cancelled an OKW 2 bedroom and booked at Caribe Royale instead. I got our FPP at 60 days. Canceled OKW on day 28. A week later got a warning email, so I just rebooked our FFP. I even got our FOP for the same time. Just have to be quick and refresh a few times if you don’t see it.

2 Likes

Did you do this in the middle of the night?

I know you already switched your room reservation, but Swan and Dolphin are Marriott properties that get the WDW room benefits - 60 day FPP and the ADR window, so in the future if your husband has points you can use them at these properties and not have to worry about canceled FPPs.

1 Like

Yes! Thank you…there was no availability at swan/Dolphin. That would have been too easy!

^^^ What she said!

The warning emails are happening even to people within the 30 days.

And there have been a handful of cases where FPs were deleted; in fact I think a liner reported a similar thing here when their reservation disappeared and so did their FPs.

Another thing people tried was to wait until they were within 30 days, dropped and rebooked their FPs first and then cancelled the reservation. They still got the warning email and lost the FPs. So the DIS advice is to do exactly what @AuntB_luvsDisney suggested.

Nope. Middle of the work day.

1 Like

Well, after much back and forth tonight was crunch time and we decided to stay onsite. Thanks for all the advice and I hope this helps someone else!

4 Likes

I “cleansed” some 7DMT fastpasses one night around 10PM and had no issues. I just wouldn’t do it early in the morning when there is likely to be high traffic on MDE.

2 Likes

I love your username!

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just did this. It was at 8am (not 2 or 3am) and I got all my FastPasses back except one. I even got 7DMT, FOP, and SDD! I couldn’t get BTMMT for some reason, but I’m okay with that. Just wanted to share an example of this working.

2 Likes

When is your trip?

Starts 1/17/2020