Can someone explain Epcot to me, please?

Things can always change. It’s been a number of years since I’ve tried it, but my thoughts at the time were the Mall food court had better food for half the price…

We didn’t mind the fish and chips. Not the best but edible.

But my first meal in the Rose and Crown was the cottage pie. And I thought it was over-salted and tasted like a microwaved ready meal.

Fast forward to January 1st 2016 and DS and I did the World Showcase tour. Lunch was at the R&C, and I thought the food was fine. Trying desperately to remember what I had though!

1 Like

I was born in — and live in — the county of Yorkshire, so I know what fish and chips is supposed to be. I’m actually very tempted to try Yorkshire County Fish Shop — it does seem to get good reviews online.

1 Like

I’ve never been back to R&C after the first time, not inedible but not great.

It does but remember most of those are from Americans :joy:

I’ve never had fish and chips in Yorkshire but I can’t imagine they taste that much different to fish and chips in Manchester, and the ones in EP just taste…wrong. You may disagree, maybe you cook them differently there.

If it’s poor quality British food you’re looking for, I recommend the Leaky Cauldron at UOR.

1 Like

I think it is a mistake to go to an ethnic eatery (relative to the country it is located in) and expect the food to ACTUALLY reflect the tastes of the place of ethnicity.

For example, I’m pretty sure anyone from Mexico would not think that the food in Mexican restaurants in America are at all reflective of authentic Mexican cuisine. Rather, it is best to think of it as being INSPIRED by that ethnicity, but modified to also appeal to the tastes of the local culture.

1 Like

You may be right. On the other hand, the food at Raglan Road is outstanding and tastes just as good as my granny’s cooking.

1 Like

That is on my wife’s list of ADRs we plan to obtain for our trip.

1 Like

It’s definitely on mine too.

My opinion entirely. For “pub” dining RR has a much bigger menu and much better food. And entertainment.

1 Like

Yep, been there eaten that!

Oh wait a minute. Which one is the Leaky Cauldron? We ate at the one in Diagonal Alley last time, not that impressed. But the one in Hogsmeade before was OK.

There are also regional differences. Imagine someone from a foreign country eating “American” food in Boston compared to eating “American” food in Atlanta. In Germany, the food is very different in Hamburg than it is in Munich; same for Venice and Naples. In Mexico are you looking at coastal or inland cuisine?

1 Like

Tacos. I want tacos. :wink:

1 Like

Leaky Cauldron is in Diagon Alley. We had breakfast there and it was delicious.

I’m not sure what there is to explain. If you don’t like the park, then don’t spend much time there.

These days a lot of the park to me is about dining, often during the sometimes maligned, but always popular seasonal festivals. Sampling food and beverages prepared in a variety of different ways is appealing to me. Living near a large city I could sample may of those foods at home, but usually not all in one evening. Also, the Epcot festivals generally offer some local Florida food and beverages, which I wouldn’t have back home.

Beyond the food, exploring the countries in World Showcase is always pleasant. You mentioned going into the shops, but seeing the movies and exhibits is an interesting may to get a glimpse of places and cultures I don’t see very often (or, in some cases, may never see with my own eyes). There are a few places (notably, in the back of the Japan or Morocco pavilions) where you can get away from the crowds and get a feel of being in a different place (albeit, still with Central Florida’s heat and humidity). Walking through World Showcase at night, after Illuminiations and as crowds start to thin out, is one of my favorite Disney experiences.

As for attractions, they may not be spectacular, but some are still worthwhile. There are remnants of the Epcot I enjoyed while growing up, primarily Spaceship Earth and Living with the Land, but the attractions offer more than just nostalgia. Soarin is unlike almost any other attraction you can find elsewhere. Test Track may not be very educational, but rarely do folks leave that without a smile. The Imagination pavilion is not what it once was, but seeing Figment encourage folks to use their imagination is worth seeing every so often. It’s still cute, at least in small doses. The pixar shorts showing there are also not a bad way to spend half an hour. You also mentioned the Seas pavilion, which some folks have complained isn’t what it once was, but is still a pretty spectacular aquarium. I think the Nemo right is cute and the Turtle Talk show, while aimed primarily at a younger audience, is entertaining for all ages. I don’t visit that every trip, but am never disappointed when I do.

The last part of my Epcot experience has been talking with people. When traveling alone, I’ve found myself often in conversations with Cast Members from different parts of the world. One of the original goals of EPCOT Center was to bring together people from around the world to create a global community of people getting to know one another, and when we take the time to participate the park succeeds in doing so. Within the last year, I’ve had memorable exchanges with a Guest Relations Cast Member from Ireland, a clerk in Mouse Gear from Wolverhampton, a woman working in one of the shops at the entrance to World Showcase talking about cooking Epcot festival foods, and a fellow tourist from Norway who was looking for the same Epcot 35th Anniversary merchandise that I was, and that’s just off the top of my head. Part of the appeal of working in Epcot for many of the folks working in World Showcase is an interest in learning about life in this country and in getting to know other folks from around the world, so many (not all, but many) are eager to share stories. You can’t put something like that on a touring plan, but the environment brings people together and makes them comfortable talking to on another in ways that few other places do.

I didn’t say I didn’t like it. I’m just trying to figure out how best to benefit from it.

I’ve heard other people say this. It’s in the schedule for sure.

1 Like

For which year?

This year, next year, sometime, never?

1 Like

This year. And next year.

For now.

Almost certainly.

Probably.

Maybe.

1 Like