Can I buy my park tix now for a trip 3 years from now?

Since prices go up at least annually, is it possible and would it make sense for me to buy my multi-day park tickets now for use three or four years from now? Or is this just a stupid idea?
I estimate tickets will cost $250-350 more in 3-4 years for a four MYM Park Hoper 14-day expiration tickets.

Definitely wait for confirmation from someone wiser than me (which is pretty much anybody else on this board ;D), but it was my understanding that Disney did away with the “no expiration” rule for tickets during their last price increase (I think around April?)… tickets now expire at the end of the year (or 14 days from first use).

So no, buying now wouldn’t help you 3-4 years in the future (I think this used to be a thing but then Disney cottoned on and closed that loophole)

1 Like

I think the “14-day expiration” and “no expiration” options start from the first time you use the ticket, not from when you purchase it. (And yes, they did away with the “no expiration” option in 2015.

I’m pretty sure if I buy the tickets today I can use start using them anytime in the future. So, that’s my first question to people that know. Am I right about this?

My second question - does this make good logical sense to do? Put out about $1900 now to save about $300 3-4 years from now. I mean, it’s not like I can earn $300 interest on that $1900 with the lousy interest rates of today!

You’d need to check with Disney. It might be nice as it will commit you to the holiday and definitely spread the cost out. I don’t know how packages work, could there be an instance when buying your tickets and accomadation together gives you free dining. Depending who you buy the tickets with it might still work out. If you’re looking to stay offsite or rent DVC points then maybe go for it, but I would probably wait a couple of years.

What if they change their ticket types in 3 years? I bought an extra ticket when MGM Studios opened. It’s still unused. I think I know where I put it, but I can’t be sure. Anyway, to use it now, I’d have to take it to guest services (no advanced FPPs!) to get converted and then I’d still be buying for others in my family.

If you’re organized and willing to take the risk that the Magic Your Way tickets will remain the same and Disney confirms that they’d still be good in 3 years (that hasn’t been taken away with a time limit), then go for it.

I can’t imaging purchasing tickets 3 years out. What if your life changes? While as you mention, there is not a great interest rate right now, I would probably take the money and put it in a vacation account to plan for it. Earn a few dollars in interest and save for the whole vacation. That is too much money for me to anticipate that we would do the trip.

I also think it is way too early to buy tickets for 3 years from now. Things could completely change, and the tickets you buy now may not be the type you want then. It seems to me if you can afford the $1900 now, you should buy them and take the trip in the next year. No need to wait so long! I know more goes into a vacation than just paying for the tickets, but $1900 should be a decent start to a trip. (I am always going to say go sooner rather than wait 3 years, 3 years is way too long to be away from Disney :wink:).

1 Like

I have a five day PH that I bought from UT last year before the increase. That same ticket is about $80 more if I bought it today from Disney. I may let a family member use it next February but I am glad I have it.

I hear ya! We want to wait until the new lands are operational.

1 Like

I bought an extra ticket when MGM Studios opened. It’s still unused. I think I know where I put it, but I can’t be sure. Anyway, to use it now, I’d have to take it to guest services (no advanced FPPs!) to get converted

I’m not 100% sure on that. Maybe my situation was different because my (non-expiring) tickets were partially used, but I was able to get them converted and linked to MDE over the phone (407-939-4357, option 3) by giving them the codes off the back of the ticket media.

Note that technically those tickets you have would be ineligible to use at AK because that park wasn’t open when you bought the ticket originally.

Makes sense! Hurry up Disney, build faster!

I just checked the fine print of the online ticket center. It looks like tickets bought today would only be good until Dec 17, 2017. I assume that moves with the date the ticket is bought. You’d better check the fine print, if you’re planning on doing this thing.

What online ticket center are you looking at? I bought discounted tickets from Undercover Tourist and they sent a real ticket. I believe it expires in 2038?

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tickets/

“Tickets and any options purchased must be used within 14 days of first use, except for Florida Resident 3-Day and 4-Day Tickets. Florida Resident 3-Day and 4-Day Tickets expire 6 months after first use or December 17, 2017, whichever comes first, and may not be used on the following blockout dates: July 1, 2016 to July 4, 2016; December 15, 2016 to December 31; 2016; January 1, 2017 to January 2, 2017; April 8, 2017 to April 21, 2017; June 5, 2017 to August 10, 2017.”

OMG! I’m glad you called me on that! It’s only for the Florida Resident tickets!

So then it is possible to buy tickets for the future!

Sign up for the Mousesavers monthly newsletter and then buy them discounted through the special link. They send you real Disney tickets that they mail to you.

1 Like