Can anyone convince me that FQ is not the best moderate resort?

We are heading back to Disney this summer! Our trip was cut short last year when my husband and kids got Covid. After months and months of subtle hints, my husband picked up on the fact that I wanted to go back and finish my trip :joy:

Dates are not set yet (likely July :sunny:) because we have to wait for schedules for my kids (21 and 19). Anyways, I sent off a cheery little text to the family thread and asked for resort and dining input. When my son’s responses came in, I realized that maybe I didn’t really want their input. He said…anywhere except FQ, even if it was off-sight. :exploding_head: Can you believe that? He said we were already there twice, and he would like to try somewhere new.

Deluxe is out of budget for us, so it’s going to be a moderate. We did Coronado Springs once. It was really nice and pretty, but it’s just not my style. We did Riverside once in a royal room. I loved it, but now it’s dog friendly. We have two dogs, so I do love dogs. I just don’t know if you would hear them barking or anything like that. Maybe not? They would all be well-behaved? I don’t know…ours would bark!! That leaves Caribbean Beach. It seems so big, so I’m not sure. FQ just really feels like home to me. I love the size after the parks and the boat to Disney Springs.

So does anyone have any great reviews from other moderates, or do I tell him that FQ is tops, and that’s where we are going?!

PS. He will be happy with wherever we decide to go, I just kind of wish that I didn’t ask in the first place :joy:

2 Likes

FQ is small and intimate like a deluxe, plus the boat to DS! That is a lot going for it right there.

I have not stayed at Carribean beach, but just want to point out the skyliner option. But it is pretty sprawling.

Another option for consideration - Grand Destino Tower. Still a moderate but also more contained with some luxury.

Finally, depending on your budget, if they run a special, you could potentially get Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge for as low as $325 a night.

Personally, think you can’t go wrong with FQ but wanted to mention those others!

1 Like

Thanks! I’m trying to think through all of the options. I briefly considered wading into points, but it seems too risky not to be able to cancel.

1 Like

Have you considered the Swan or Dolphin. They also have some promos going thru July that might make some of the Deluxe resorts more in budget. Wilderness Lodge sounds like a nice fit. Travel would have to be first 2 weeks of July. They also have the cabins to consider. With the 25% off the deluxe rooms aren’t that much more than the standard rate moderate rooms.

3 Likes

I did look at Swan. Unless I’m doing something wrong, I was getting a higher price once the fees were in place. It would be nice to maybe consider a night or two to get the evening deluxe hours, but I don’t think anyone else wants to deal with a split stay.

1 Like

I booked the swan through Marriott. I became a Bonvoy member. The Dolphin is usually priced better. You can also get Swan and Dolphin a bit cheaper through priceline and expedia. I haven’t done Dolphin but will choose that one next time. I loved Swan for the convenience and smaller property. The rooms where very nice and you did have little Disney touches here and there if you knew where to look. The Grotto pool area is NICE too.

1 Like

Definitely look at both the Swan and the Dolphin and then you can also just keep checking back. Sometimes they run really good deals, othertimes they are pricey.

This is super tricky. I think DVC rental store has contracts that you can cancel, but then the point cost is really high! Unfortunately renting points is not longer the cost effective bargain it used to be.

Or you can join the dark side and buy DVC :grin:

2 Likes

I wish! My husband enjoys Disney once we get there, but we have different ideas of vacation spots. He would like to road trip in an RV or something like that.

2 Likes

I am still not sure how I swung it with my DH. Funny enough by August we will have used way more points staying off WDW property (Hilton Head, DLR, Hawaii) and I think it is me trying to prove something to my DH :rofl:

1 Like

On of our favorite vacations was a 3 week road trip to Fort Wilderness. We live about 11 hours away straight. We spent 2 weeks traveling there and back and 1 week in Disney. We saw so many different things on the road. Places you would never make a vacation around, or we wouldn’t but definitely warrented an afternoon or a couple days.

2 Likes

We have recently become Destino Tower fans. I love FQ, but Destino is gorgeous and CSR has great dining these days. Staying in the tower is very different from staying in the rest of Coronado, so if you haven’t tried the tower yet I would consider it!

1 Like

I agree with this completely! The Tower feels more like a Deluxe to me than the others. It’s actually DS’s favorite hotel now (especially once he got a taste of the club level there!).

2 Likes

GDT rooms are huge and beautiful but I was not a fan of CSR in general. I don’t like the multiple bus stops and the Tower is the last pick up and drop off.

I LOVED POFQ. What is wrong with that kid? The beignets, the jazz band on Friday nights at Scat Cats, compact resort, one bus stop, the view…

2 Likes

I know! I love FQ so much! I think he likes to explore more. He really liked CSR. I tried to tell him I could do a different resort budget-wise, but it was a Little Mermaid room at Art of Animation. He said that was fine :joy:

1 Like

Why, oh why, did you ask for your son’s opinion? :laughing:

I have never stayed at FQ. But if you love it…you should just decide! Let him pay for somewhere else if he wants!

2 Likes

He wouldn’t really care if that’s where I want to go and knows I get final call! It was originally his graduation trip, so I put it out there for opinions. I will probably choose FQ, but I’m still looking a little bit at Caribbean. At least it looks like I put some thought into it :joy:

1 Like

I really loved CBR. It is the only Disney property I have stayed at (so not a lot to compare it to)- but it was beautiful, calm, relaxing. The proximity to the SL couldn’t be beat. It was easy access to two parks, and we hardly ever had a line for the SL. We loved the quiet pools and the main pools. The food court/lobby felt like an oasis. The staff were incredibly nice. I have no complaints about my stay there.

But - to your point - it is sprawling - you have to be ready and willing to walk. The bus stops can take time, but if you are willing to go to the Riviera busses, you can save time on stops that way too. It was still worth it to me, though, and I would likely stay there again in the future, if I can afford it.

3 Likes

Thanks! I appreciate the input on CBR. I don’t know anyone who’s stayed there. Some of the reviews I’ve read make it sound a little run down. I’m glad to hear you liked it.

1 Like

I didn’t feel that way at all! I was worried about that too based on reviews but our room was fine. It was clean and comfortable (and our room was quiet too - I couldn’t hear my parents TV next door). We had a standard room with a 5th sleeper. Since it hasn’t been refurbed recently, there is no under bed suitcase storage, but we made it work.

I didn’t take any pictures of the room - but the actual resort was very very Caribbean and did not feel run down to me at all.

If you are going to be spending a lot of time at HS or EP, it is worth considering, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Oh - and with a walk to the Aruba beach - we were actually able to see some of EPCOTs fireworks one night.

1 Like