To Disney World We Go! (Enablers unite!)

Unfortunately our September trip has now been cancelled. :disappointed: Hopefully it can happen one day in the future. At least I have a family trip countdown still.

3 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry!!! DH, DS are arguing about our Sept trip to Aulani: should we stay or should we go?

3 Likes

Awesome tune!! You should go.

2 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing: I agree and so does DHā€¦ itā€™s DS thatā€™s worried about C-19 write now, even thought heā€™s fully vaxed. We talked to GoHawaii yesterday and we can skip the covid test and just upload our CDC vax cards. Trying not to 'What if" everything right now :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

I think Hawaii is one of the safer places to be traveling at the moment because you either have to be vaccinated or have a negative Covid test. I know that doesnā€™t guarantee that you wonā€™t get exposed, but I think itā€™s reassuring.

3 Likes

Thank you. My dad is very concerned with the Delta variant. He is at risk in many ways so doesnā€™t want to risk it. I may book a placeholder trip for the late winter but who knows when it will be safer again?

4 Likes

Oddly enough I think your September trip will end up being one of the safer times. I suspect we will see an abatement of the delta wave after it surges through the south, then a resurgence in the Midwest and Northeast in the fall, similar to the timing of the waves last year. But the later waves will probably be less severe since the least vaccinated areas are getting hit now.

But I respect your decision to delay - hopefully once under 12 are approved for vaccination, weā€™ll hit the magic 60% vaccinated (which seems to be a threshold for reduced hospitalizations) in more places.

2 Likes

I agree. My dad is very hesitant. I havenā€™t actually cancelled yet but I do respect his wishes since this trip is for him.

3 Likes

Itā€™s such a difficult time right now to make travel plans. Things change so quickly.

2 Likes

this is comforting to hear

2 Likes

Last 48 hoursā€¦

Friday:
:white_check_mark: Talked to my dad and he is 100% on board for travel on the 25th.
:white_check_mark:Time off finalized and sub secured. Yay, itā€™s actually happening!
:white_check_mark: Posted a countdown of 15 days- hooray!

Saturday:
:white_check_mark: Ordered a shirt on Etsy
:white_check_mark: Poked around on Hotwire- decided to book hot rate deal this week to save $300 but didnā€™t pull the trigger yet

Sounds promising, right?

Last 24 hours:

:pensive: DS4 woke up in the morning with a runny nose- drainage is clear so probably allergies.
:pensive: He wakes up from nap with a cough.
:pensive: late afternoon fever develops
:pensive: Now complaining of a sore throat
:pensive: I then hunt down a rapid test- test taken and may be positive but results were not definitive so suggested that we retest next day (today).

Iā€™m not cancelling yet but it seems like covid may have other plans for my September trip. Disney trip aside, I truly hope DS4 is negative.

3 Likes

Oh no! I hope his next test comes back negative and itā€™s just a benign virus!

1 Like

Thank you-he hasnā€™t been exposed as far as we know but he did have his first week back at preschool this week. They do mask fully except when eating outdoors and napping indoors.

Fingers crossed it just the typical junk that circulates at the beginning of the school year.

1 Like

A kid in my kidā€™s daycare got croupe and shared it with all their classmates. So we had runny nose, coughing, and sore throats (we never spiked a true fever but temps were running warmer than usual) just a few weeks ago. Hopefully whatever it is he feels better soon. (And :crossed_fingers:t2: your trip with your dad can go on as planned!)

1 Like

Sonofa!!!

1 Like

When you say may be positive but not definitive what do you mean by that?

Asking as an RN who administers one of the rapid tests regularly, offering help in deciphering if needed.

1 Like

We did the test in low light and it was very hectic as I promised DS a sucker after the swabs. He doesnā€™t have a lot of sugar so it amped him up, this leading to chaos when it was time to read the results. I reported only one line to the proctor so he was marked negative. I carried the test in the other room (better lighting) after hanging up and saw an extremely faint line. I called and they recommended retesting today since that was after the recommended time.

2 Likes

Gotcha.

Fingers crossed for a clear negative result on retesting.

They need words. Like not pregnant. That line nonsense is unnecessarily confusing. Iā€™m having 1989 college day flashbacks.

5 Likes