Cabins at FT. WILDERNESS

I do not think you’ll hate not having a car if you have a cart.

A cart gets you around FW which a car does not do.

My recommendation is to do a trial run from your cabin to the Outpost, from door to bus stop, to see how much time that actually is. Same with the trip to the Marina, out to the dock.

Use that info with the bus arrival times on MDE.

Being at FW consumes more travel time. It’s a given. It’s also a given that this time at WDW is different. Just think of all the references on future trips: this [insert noun] is way faster, easier, handier, hopefully not worse than our stay at FW. :wink:

eta: as of Sept 2019, parking was free at FW.

Also eta: am I correct in understanding that there will be no trams at parks?

1 Like

If I had to choose between a car and a cart I would go with the car! At least you can use that other places.

That’s true. And I was thinking in normal times, you’d be in parks much more, making a car handier.

If I knew I was going to be either at Epcot or FW evenings, a cart might be handier.

We’re those odd folk who go to WDW and stay inside WDW. Probably because of ALL those years of visiting relatives in the rest of FL.

1 Like

I’m not sure a non FW guest can drive to the cabins. If that’s what you’re saying ?

As for a FW cabin guest parking at another cabin, it might happen once. Because extra cars must be parked at the Outpost.

I called and listened to the recording about parking. There was nothing about complimentary parking at DVC or FW as there was last year.

Thanks, Disney.

1 Like

Do you have access to the pools at the lodge?

So they charge even with an RV site? You have to have a car for that!

1 Like

Yes it would be considered lateral as CSR and FW are both moderates. Can I ask you when your trip is?

I was originally booked in POFQ so I knew I could possibly be moved to FW because mod>mod. I did a lot of research on it and found it would not have been a good fit for my family. The only positive would have been the full size fridge and kitchen. But like you, we wouldn’t have a car and need to rend a golf cart for a 10 day trip = $$$. Also having a few resort days so not sure I would have been happy with the rustic feel.

However I will say the pools looked really fun - just far away.

Probably mainly to stop crowds gathering, especially in the absence of fireworks.
But also maybe it might allow work to continue on the GF to MK walkway without having to deal with the pageant floats.

2 Likes

No, the Cabins are part of FW, not Wilderness Lodge. So you don’t have access to their pools. I think there are two pools at FW though.

Also I think the new stables are open for visiting now.

2 Likes

Trip is July 19

Apparently.

Tho it is possible to rent an RV and have it set up.

I’ve seen folks arrive without a car - they’re driven in a cart to their site. But maybe that’s not done anymore.

There are 3 preferred loops by the Pioneer Hall/ Marina area. I’d really not need a golf cart if I was up there. :+1:

Honestly @jeremy_dmiller if you don’t think your family would be happy there I would try and call. Just explain your thoughts kindly. Don’t be demanding or expect anything. I would just explain how this move doesn’t feel like what you had purchased or expected. You had expected a resort feel, with multiple pools, easy walks to main building etc. Then I would just ask a CM if “there are any other options, or anything differently Disney could do.” Also make it clear you cannot afford anything more (unless you’d be willing to pay for an upgrade).

Hope you have a magical time!

3 Likes

How do you get to WL? Shuttle or boat?

We have usually used the launch. There’s a big boat that makes a loop from MK, to WL to FW.

Then there’s a smaller launch that makes the loop from Contemporary, to WL to FW. If memory serves, we rode to the Contemporary, stayed on until the boat docked at WL. Coming back to FW, it’s the next stop.

If there’s fog or high winds, a bus is put into service to MK.

Most of our touring regimen is probably not for everyone. Where we live, we have to allow for a good hour to 90 minutes travel time. So taking the bus or a round about boat ride at MK doesn’t seem “long”.

We’re not at WDW for the rides, as such either. I sometimes wonder what we’re there for? Probably more a state of mind.

So wasting time isn’t really a thing. Altho standing a lot is uncomfortable. So we skip rides with any sort of line.

Full disclosure - I may not be a liner - we’re lucky if we use 3 FPs a day, much less 10! And have been known to forget we’ve got FPs. :blush:

1 Like

When I was there this past December the big boats from MK to WL and FW were separate. A lesson learned the very hard way at 11:00pm with 3 small children. I remember just sitting on the dock at FW praying that another resort boat would come along at such a late hour. Thankfully, we waited less then 10 minutes. Crisis averted!!

1 Like

You’re saying FW and WL each had a dedicated boat?

December crowds?

Disney switching things up has resulted in some interesting times for us. So glad you weren’t stuck for hours!

I really like having a cell phone. I’ve called WDW from WDW for assistance. For our first several trips that wasn’t an option.

1 Like

Could be. It was Thanksgiving day.

1 Like

That may be the question, I am just not sure. May love it… May hate it. Would need to try it to be sure. Need to ponder on this, but I love your suggestion I have actually found most Cm’s to be wonderful during this time. Would be worth the question if family is unsure.

2 Likes

My family has stayed here before, when my kids were younger, and one still needed a stroller. While we loved the cabins and the full kitchen, the transportation was a deal breaker for us. We didn’t have a golf cart, and the multiple buses needed to get to and from a park became old really quick. Especially when I had to take a mid-day break with a young child. My sister’s family has stayed here also, on a different vacation, and had a similar experience. If you can get a golf cart, that would make things much easier. And it would be a nice place to explore on a non park day.

2 Likes