Bypassing Atlanta? Calling all Midwesterners who drive to Orlando

When isn’t it rush hour in Atlanta?:joy:

1 Like

Also from STL. Nashville from 24 to 75 is always bad for us. Construction and accidents without fail. That’s a time suck of at least thirty minutes to go five/six miles.

I’ve often wondered if there are additional routes. I can’t take Atlanta.

1 Like

You’re so right–I24 does suck. It’s not enough lanes for the volume of traffic.

1 Like

I started driving my kids/grandkids a few years ago for our summer Disney trips from Iowa. (DH skips summer at Disney. :grinning:)
I am too scared of Nashville and Atlanta, so I go down in between Nashville and Memphis, Tupelo, Birmingham, Montgomery. It does take me about an hour longer, but, for me anyway, easy drive. Everyone drives a lot faster thru Alabama, apparently the speed limit is just a suggestion :woman_shrugging:t4: :grinning:

4 Likes

That is so true about Alabama! Driving 85 there is considered slow.

1 Like

We come from Tulsa and go through Little Rock, Memphis, and on into Birmingham. At Birmingham, we head to Dothan and spend the night.

We take whatever recommended route there is from Dothan to Disney.

When we started this in 2017, we went through Atlanta and down to Disney from there.

It is 5.5 hours from Dothan, AL to the Publix we go to that’s not to far from Flamingo Crossings. That’s with stopping for breakfast to eat in the car and a MUST DO stop at Busy Bee which takes at least 1/2 hour for us. We also generally hit a rest stop once we’re past Busy Bee.

Atlanta is not the only problem on that route. Even getting past Atlanta easy peasy, on one trip, I had to stop at three different gas stations to fill up because the first two were out of gas.

Getting on and off the highway was a traffic nightmare.

Same problem with grabbing lunch before heading into Florida.

Even if Alabama takes a bit longer, the reduced stress is worth it.