Buying gasoline in the US of A or how I struggle to go unzipped

Will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Here at least they were talking about suspending the state gas tax for the summer to offset the increase in gas prices… which I don’t understand. That’s not what is driving inflation in energy costs, and that money pays for improvements. This year is a bonding year to (they do every other year as the big infrastructure spending year).

2 Likes

This makes the politicians look good ahead of elections. That is the reason. It has nothing to do what is best for the state nor everyone else! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I find that gas prices here are tied to real estate prices.
Despite increased shipping distance to the boonies, the gas prices always drop compared to the urban centres.
I think that this is the way chains prevent small independents from dropping their prices since they have less property expenses (rent, mortgage etc.) to cover.

Of course, Canadian Tire and Costco have lower prices because they’ll take the hit at the pumps knowing they’ll more than make it back from their retail operation.

3 Likes

When I was ranting to a co-worker in OR about it (back when they had it) that was something I asked. She said she told it was because it could be unsafe. Seemed to think that it was something about the fumes. I pointed out that if that were true, having one person do it all day didn’t make sense.

It drove me nuts because I always flew home from there either very late or very early when gas stations weren’t open so I couldn’t top off my rental car. The only good side was that my boss also went to OR and so they knew that I wasn’t being stupid paying for rental car agency gas.

Oh, Michigan definitely gets their share from EV drivers! My husband’s annual EV car registration is nearly double that of my gas car. I think it’s even specified in the registration documents that it’s an EV charge.

That’s actually good to hear. I remember a few years ago, the debate around this…didn’t realize Michigan addressed it this way.

The percentage of damage done to roads by passenger vehicles is essentially a rounding error compared to that of commercial trucks. This is an anti-EV trope.

2 Likes

No. Just truth. I don’t at all disagree that trucks are are greater problem. I was merely pointing out the irony in EVs not paying gas tax to help with the roads.

Although, in Michigan, the bigger problem with the roads are winter-weather related!

I use the numbers trick - as in just the numbers from my postal code plus 00. It’s works with my Scotiabank Passport Visa.

1 Like

I’ll have to give this a try.
I think I used a relative’s zip code once without any problem but now that I know it’s an anti-theft measure, I won’t be trying that again.

1 Like

50 posts into this thread and no one has mentioned the innuendo in the thread title?

5 Likes

This is great info! I will try this with our UK postcode next time I’m there! Be great if I can avoid the ‘go into the shop, give credit card, back out, pump, back in, pick up card’ hassle, thanks!

2 Likes

Even if you go in, you can leave your car at the pump. People that park by the store aren’t there for gas. Still annoying, but no reason to move your car.

Thanks to car rides thru Florida on our way to WDW, I agree 100% with these guys about how not to pay for gas. Coincidence or not, I had my credit card stolen 3 of the first 5 times we drove to Disney a few years ago. That included a panic phone call from the front desk at BC because they couldn’t put thru our accumulated charges on the morning we checked out. To each his own, but paying cash is a breeze compared to what I had to go thru afterwards in those 3 situations. Since converting to cash, I’ve never had another stolen card. To Florida’s credit I think they have stepped up gas pump security in the last few years to better prevent skimmers on gas pumps. So my fears may be out-of-date by now, but I still buy gas the old fashioned way … everywhere.

2 Likes

Thank you.

I was just scrolling thru to see if anyone else had commented. @GreyingMouser probably went to a lot of work to come up that little gem.
:blush:

2 Likes

Well it was just something I thought I should put out there
:smirk:

3 Likes

I can understand why it was a struggle.

1 Like