Bucket Trip - Part 2 The West Coast Edition

Hey all! I’m back, at least for now. Our Bucket List Trip to WDW last June so sooooo amazing thanks to so many of you - I cannot express the depth of my gratitude for all the concern, advice and tips etc. You are all awesome!

Updates: DH is responding well to treatment and some nodes in his lungs have actually gone away. I will be retiring in August once I turn 55 so we can have as much time together as possible and so when the time comes (barring a miracle) I will be able to take care of him as he needs.

So since he is currently doing so well we are planning a retirement/ Bucket list trip west coast edition going to Disneyland!! I have already booked our flight on Delta Comfort + for October 28 to November 5, 2022.

I’ve been reading up on all things Disneyland, Genie, Lightning etc. WOW so many new things to wrap my head around and it hasn’t even been a year since our trip!

Anyway, I just wanted to say “hello”. I’ve been lurking for a couple weeks and hearting posts etc. Hope everyone is doing well.

18 Likes

Happy to see you pop in again and planning for another trip. SO excited to hear treatment is having some positive effects for DH.

5 Likes

This is wonderful! I know my SIL may be luckier than some but I love to share her story. About 4 yrs ago she was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer that spread to her brain. The cancer had only affected one lung. She was give less than a year. She did treatment, nothing crazy aggressive, but nothing to sneeze at either. She had a couple brain surgeries (every brain surgery after radiation ended up being scar tissue, not a tumor). She is 1 year cancer free! Moral of the story: Modern medicine is a blessing, improving every day, and life is worth fighting for if you want it bad enough.

10 Likes

Thank you for the update. Your trip sounds wonderful!

4 Likes

Yay! First, nice to see you here again! Second, so nice to hear that DH is doing well. And third … Disneyland is my favorite! I’m glad you get to do this. :grin:

4 Likes

Lovely to hear your update and that DH is doing well! Hope you will have an awesome trip to DLR!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing her story. It’s wonderful when people beat the odds! DH is on the “it” treatment(s) for stage 4 renal cancer and doing well most of the time. He also has fibromyalgia which also takes a toll but in a different way.

2 Likes

Everyone is different. I’ve had so many in my life touched with cancer. More than not have made it through, against the odds. My dad was also given 3 months when I was a preteen. He did everything he could and lived 8 more years, most good days. The surgery went sideways, it was a risky one for the times. But he never gave up hope, kept a positive attitude and listened to the doctors. Everyday is a blessing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I haven’t booked the hotel yet but since we stayed at GFH in Florida it seems appropriate for us to stay at the GCH in California. Just trying to find the least expensive ( :joy: :rofl:) way to do it.

Figure we will get a 5 day park hopper and also Oogie Boogie tix for a “6th” day (half day :woman_shrugging:). DH really wants to be there on Halloween (his favorite holiday). We are both really looking forward to the Avengers Campus!

I’ve been enjoying reading all the recent trip reports - many of my questions have already been answered. But of course I will have more lol. The 2022 Unofficial Guide has been read at least twice by now too. Right now my next decision is whether or not to get a TA involved to help get the best deals. Finishing up this school year, cleaning out my room and navigating the retirement process will keep me plenty busy and I might miss something.

3 Likes

Have you considered a split stay? First and last night at a much cheaper hotel?

We did a split stay at WDW and we originally were toying with the idea of a non-Disney part of the trip. Many ideas. We decided that after a week at DL we would probably not want to change to another hotel. So even though I like your suggestion I can’t see us doing it because the physical cost to us would be too much. Also, we definitely want to stay on property because of ease of access (with ECVs) even though the former perks aren’t there anymore.

3 Likes

Every time I look at a DL trip I think we would never go day of arrival or departure so I always think a cheaper hotel would fit the bill. But it can be a hassle. Hope they get some discounts going for ya! If not, renting point may be worth a look but I’ve never done the savings math.

3 Likes

This is the point within the post where mathhound interjects “Challenge Accepted”

5 Likes

Lol … after I finish the school year, clean out my classroom and figure out the retirement thing… challenge excepted :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

My biggest problem about renting points is I seem to remember they aren’t refundable. With a cancer patient I need to be able to cancel if needed. If I’m wrong let me know and maybe I will try to do the math lol.

2 Likes

This is true. That is a huge issue if you need flexibility. One day I’ll get to DL, one day…

2 Likes

It might still be cheaper to rent points and buy travel insurance, but I’m not an expert on how travel insurance works.

3 Likes

I checked out renting points. Yes they would save us $$$ but only with a studio, fine. However, studios only have partial availability :pensive:. Evidently, since there is only one DVC property in California you need to book at least 11 months out to get reasonable availability.

We were only ever looking at the “cheapest” room at GCH so I guess we will book the room and hope for one of the deals to happen :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:. Not gonna stress about it too much right now because I already knew it was going to be pricey.

But thanks for the suggestion because I may try renting if we go to WDW again :grin:.

4 Likes

October 28th to November 5th!
We have plane tickets on Delta with comfort + for hubby’s long legs!
We are staying at GCH (just paid the deposit) and have a TP TA (Sarah) keeping an eye out for possible discounts!!
She will also get are ECVs taken care of. And of course the now essential trip insurance has been purchased!

I will be looking at getting transportation to and from LAX as TP uses Karmel and I am definitely heeding @OBNurseNH ’s warning about them. Even told my TA that a trusted source from TP forums had a horrible experience. She did offer some alternatives but they are pricey. Found several discussions on here that I bookmarked and will look at later.

Then they didn’t have any discount on tickets so went to Mousesavers and signed up for their free newsletter so I can get the best discount on Undercover Tourist which I used (sort of) for our WDW trip. The newsletter comes out on the 15th so won’t have to wait long! Gonna get a 5 day park hopper. We’ll add G+ on at the parks because I don’t think we will need it every day. The potential discount on tickets will pay for a couple a days of G+ and/or ILL (or as Molly (Allears) calls them Fancy Rides which does make it easier to keep them straight lol)

TA will also stay on top of OBB and dining packages.

I think this is the right mix of me planning and letting someone else watch for stuff because my life is a bit complicated right now and will be until I retire in August.

6 Likes

Having MA will be as good as Genie+ on a lot of the older rides.

1 Like